The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the longest effective focal length you own, show us a shot !

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

we are discussing much about MF lenses, adaptors, effective focal length etc here.
So I thought, why not start a topic for everybody to show pics shot at the longest effective focal length he/she has available.

For me that is 1200mm, realised with my Nikkor 300/2.8 coupled to its 2x teleconvertor TC-300.

And this is a flower shot I made with it in the garden this morning. The flowers are 11m away :D

Looking forward to your "long shots" :D
Rafael

V

Vivek

This is not (by a long shot) the longest I own. I have shown this earlier in the IR thread.

Hacked G1, pen F 250/5 plus a 2X converter, Heliopan RG780. Cropped.

I have 800mm plus FL lenses but do not see any point in using them on the G1 or m4/3rds. Liveview has its limitations with slow lenses. Focusing with slow lenses and liveview is not pleasant for me.

bensonga

Thanks for the great thread idea Rafael! I hadn't really thought of using my G1 with telephoto lenses yet.

These were taken with the G1 and a Nikkor AIS 200mm f4 lens (recent purchase), at approx 1/500th sec, f8, ISO 100.

Somewhere around here I think I still have a Nikkor non-AI 300mm lens, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

I'm surprised that these hand held shots turned out as well as they did....especially with no IS. Am I right in thinking that the 35mm format equivalent focal length is 400mm?

I'm not a great judge of distance, but I would guess the Stellar Wind image was taken at ~150 yards, maybe 2-3 times that distance for the Anchorage Port image.

I can see that a setup like this has alot of potential!

Nice to get out today and take a few photos.....get my mind off of other things. Thanks again.

Gary

Last edited:

Rich M

Great idea Rafael....

Here is a shot with my E-P2 with a Konica Hexanon UC 400/5.6; f/8, 1/125, ISO800 (handheld @ 50' away).

f6cvalkyrie

Gary, Vivek, Michael and Rich : great shots !
Gary, I hope you'll find your 300mm soon !
Vivek, what would be your longest EFL ?

C U,
Rafael

abry

Here's a cricket shot from the weekend. G1, Nikon 200mm ais plus Sigma 1.4 tc, aperture f4 or 5.6, probably f5.6

f6cvalkyrie

This is also the combination of the 300/2.8 IF ED Nikkor with the TC-300 convertor on the G1

C U,
Rafael

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Rafael, I was to busy with my daily obligations :D , but today I took out my 500 mm lenses.

Michiel

- Coal mountain -

G1 + Tokina Mirror 500/8

- The Harbour -

G1 + Beroflex 500/8​

f6cvalkyrie

OMG, Rich, what lens is that ? :thumbup:

Nice shots, Michiel, do you have coal mountains in amsterdam ???

C U
Rafael

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This is a wonderful shot, that captures the essence of the game. Lots of action, but the umpire is in his own world, and the ball seems to be in the right place :thumbs:

Keith

Here's a cricket shot from the weekend. G1, Nikon 200mm ais plus Sigma 1.4 tc, aperture f4 or 5.6, probably f5.6

sebboh

here's a couple 2000mm equivalent shots:
vivitar 1000mm f/11 mirror lens on an olympus e520 handheld at 1/160 of a second iso 800

same setup on a tripod with lower iso

i was just borrowing this lens for the day it was much too long for me.

seakayaker

Washington State Passenger/Car Ferry 'M/V CATHLAMET' 328 Feet in Length - 78' 8" Beam

GF1 with Ernst Leitz Wetziar - Hector 135mm f/4.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/4.5 -- 1/1600 -- 135mm

Ferries passing a few hundred yards (guess) apart between Mukilteo and Clinton, WA with Cascade Mountain Range in far background.

Another Cool and Rainy Memorial Day Weekend in the Great Pacific Northwest.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

abry

Belated thanks to Keith for comments on the cricket shot. Here's another from yesterday, processed with a bit of Topaz Adjust, which may I suspect be a bit of a love or hate thing.
Almst forgot - Nikon 200/4 ai-s plus Sigma 1.4 tc. Lens probably set at 5.6

Last edited:
V

veloman

Tokina 500mm Mirror lens.Taken @ just over a mile and slightly cropped.

Arwyn

bensonga

Here's another with my Nikkor AIS 200mm f4 lens on the Panny G1 (no extra sharpening applied in processing).

For such a relatively inexpensive lens, I'm impressed with the results. The 200mm f4 is also very easy to hand hold (unlike my Nikkor 180mm f2.8 lens).

Still looking for my non-AI 300mm f4. I'm about ready to give up and buy one of the excellent 300mm f4 ED IF AIS lenses that can be had for a few hundred dollars now. Does anyone have experience with this lens?

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

And here is a shot taken with that ungainly beast, the Nikkor 180mm f2.8 lens. Mine is a non-ED, AI version. The images are sharp (no extra sharpening applied in processing)....but the lens is very difficult to use on a camera as small as the Panasonic G1. It is much easier to handle when mounted on my Nikon F3HP with motordrive.

In any case, it's great to be able to use these lenses on the m4/3 cameras.

Gary

Last edited: