The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the G2

V

Vivek

yehh.. spot metering with pop-up flash... it works... expose for the subject, and control the background illumination with the aperture...:lecture:
Thanks, again! :)

This is starting to sound like what have been missing in the original G have been incorporated (except the trivial matter of better sensor with better S/N ratio).:thumbup:

Can't wait for the G3. :)

RichA

Lets say you don't care about video, you don't like the idea or use of touch screens and you see the camera as nothing but a warmed over G1. Is there anything about the images themselves that would recommend replacing a G1 with a G2? thanks!

scho

Just a handheld shot with the G2 and 14-42 kit lens on auto ISO (1/40 sec, f/8, ISO 1600).

Vernal Pond Reflections

Terry

Carl,
since you still have both a G1 and G2 can you test out the bursts side by side. I had it set to L earlier and it seems like it is easier to shoot moving things like sports because it doesn't seem to give a frozen scene on the LCD. I know there were suppose to be changes in this regard but I haven't read the manual yet.

Terry

Went out shooting with the G2, actually just enjoying the glorious day....

I grabbed the wrong lens today. I wanted to shoot with the 14-150 and grabbed the 14-140 instead.

Shot RAW no changes - straight defaults in LR 3 beta 2. I don't know if it is me dreaming, changes to LR or what but the default color out of the G2 might have a little more punch.

A few others with minor tweaks

A little shocking that they were allowed to buzz the area so close together but they made at least a half dozens passes flying this close together.

scho

Carl,
since you still have both a G1 and G2 can you test out the bursts side by side. I had it set to L earlier and it seems like it is easier to shoot moving things like sports because it doesn't seem to give a frozen scene on the LCD. I know there were suppose to be changes in this regard but I haven't read the manual yet.
Terry,
I'll try some burst comparisons between the G1 and G2 tomorrow and report back.
Went out shooting with the G2, actually just enjoying the glorious day....

I grabbed the wrong lens today. I wanted to shoot with the 14-150 and grabbed the 14-140 instead.

Shot RAW no changes - straight defaults in LR 3 beta 2. I don't know if it is me dreaming, changes to LR or what but the default color out of the G2 might have a little more punch.
Nice shots Terry and yes, I also noticed that default G2 colors do seem to have more punch.

Terry

Wow - Carl I just realized your shot was at ISO 1600. How big do you think you can print it acceptably?

scho

Wow - Carl I just realized your shot was at ISO 1600. How big do you think you can print it acceptably?
Terry, There is some very fine grain luminance noise in the ISO 1600 shots, but when processed in LR3B2 it is easy to eliminate this noise and still retain good image detail using the new luminance noise reduction slider. I could easily make decent prints up to 18x24 from the ISO 1600 images. I had auto ISO capped at 1600, so didn't try any higher ISO shots.

I tried a few burst comparisons between the G1 and G2, both set to L jpeg mode, and although the G2 might have been slightly smoother with less lag/freezing I couldn't be sure. I don't usually shoot in this mode so my evaluation for sports shooting potential isn't worth much.

Here is another ISO 1600 image with a 100% crop comparison before/after LR3B2 noise reduction and processing:

Last edited:

Y.B.Hudson III

Checkers might be a good sport for the G2...

Time between shots in a burst G2 .438 sec./ G1 .395 sec./ EPL-1 .350 sec.

Quantity of shots to fill the buffer (raw+small jpg) G1...3/ G2...3/ EPL-1...9

regards Hudson

Terry

Hudson, it wasn't really the time between shots that I was thinking changed it is the viewfinder blackout or freezing of the image is a better way to describe. You get back to a live view faster. If I were shooting where I needed to use burst extensively (sports), I would only shoot jpeg and then there is no buffer issue it goes until you fill the card.

Y.B.Hudson III

shoot in jpig... if your like the high contrast that Panasonic pumps out...

Once you press the trigger live view is finished until the burst is done.

@nd yes...Dear the time between shots is my contribution to this thread and not an answer to your question...

Terry

gDallasK

Picked up a G2 kit at Gatwick Airport on Friday evening and, so far, not much time to play with it - and the weather here in Western Scotland is awful today.

However, a few thoughts on its physical characteristics :

- Unlike some others, I never had any problems with the coating peeling on the G1 but the coating on the G2 is quite different and less "sticky" than the G1 (which I liked a lot). Overall the G2 feels more "plasticy" than the G1;

- the 14-42 kit lens definitely feels much cheaper than the 14-45 lens supplied with the G1. I don't like the plastic mount.

- Some of the buttons seem to operate less smoothly.

I believe that Panasonic have taken some cost out of the new model - and that is reflected in build quality. But, hey, I get video and a touch screen so, overall I'm a happy bunny - and I can now sell both my G1 and my Oly E-P1 - and might actually turn a profit on the upgrade.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to take it out and try a few shots next week if the weather improves.

Y.B.Hudson III

Terry... I think my horses are faster than your boats:)

I will read the manual and get back @ you... 'cause it's obvious that our perceptions are differing...

Y.B.Hudson III

Ok...Terry...

From my experience...G2 in burst mode M, and L...sure it gives you live view between exposures, but then it blacks out during the exposure.

I prefer the freeze frame review with out black-outs in H to the flickring blackness of M&L...or am I still missing something? *

* with the M&L you would have to stop during the action to review the exposed images for exposure/focus/event conformation.**

** and if speed is a concern and not aesthetics, one should be shooting Nikon...:)

Hudson...

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Perhaps I am missing something here? :confused:

First off can any m4/3rds (let us not talk about the not very useful Samsung NX10) be trusted to to do AF?

I tried the 45-200 zoom with G1 (both old and new firmwares) of kids playing Tennis. It always went and focused on the fence and not the kids.

I realized that it was my mistake and switched to manual focus primes to do the job.

regards Hudson

Hudson, Yeah, may be you identified a sports. It might work if the players are bejeweled with objects that bling.:ROTFL:

lcubed

regards Hudson
were all three cameras in the same AF mode??
if i recall properly, there's at least one mode that tries to AF (AF-C??)
each shot in the burst