The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the G2

Terry

OK,

Time for a new camera thread. Just got home and the G2 was waiting. Went through the menus and did my setup and then immediately decided to start testing out the touch screen aspects of the camera. I think the touch screen is going to be more useful that some are thinking.

In particular, the touch shutter I thought would be weird and instead I think it is going to be really handy. You can't focus all the way at the edges but IRRC (and will double check how close you can get to the edge with the GF1).

Have to get used to the swipe to move from picture to picture as it isn't as sensitive as my iPhone/iPad. You can touch the screen wherever you want to magnify the view in that area.

It is going to be really hard to transition from the left key on the four way controller now doing film mode versus focus mode (which is now a dial on the top deck).

There is now a manual focus guide that shows you if you are moving the lens to closer or further focus. Haven't tried this with a legacy lens yet. Does't give a measured distance scale but in particular the 45 macro can benefit from this.

Last edited:

Terry

Another cool aspect of the touch screen. Even if you aren't using the touch screen for shot you can still really easily move and resize the focus box. For instance when you touch the focus square it will turn yellow and a scale will appear on the right. Slide the box to where you want it and slide your finger on the scale to resize (or while still yellow the rear dial will increase/decrease the size).

This stuff seems pretty well thought out and sorted out. I am sure there are going to be suggestions firmware improvements.

Terry

AUTO ISO ALGORITHM CHANGE !!!!

With the 20mm lens on the camera the ISO is bumping up at 1/60 on shutter speed
With my 50lux lens on the camera the ISO is bumping up at 1/125

Too dark to test long focal lengths to see if any changes to 1/focal rules.

No Auto ISO on Manual mode.

Can't find any details in the manual and the PDF version doesn't seem to be posted yet.

Last edited:

greypilgrim

Terry,
This is great, thanks for posting these. I am hoping to get one soon and convert my G1 to IR for the summer adventures.

Doug

ggibson

Interesting news about the Auto ISO algorithm! How does it know how to adjust properly with your 50lux lens, since it is manual?

Have you tested the video yet?

Terry

I need to test some more lenses but seems like it might activate 1/125 when shoot without lens comes into play (adapted lenses with no communication to the body). This is probably a useful/flexible shutter speed for various focal lengths.

pcb_dpi

Glad you got your mitts on the G2! Any observations about higher ISO performance compared to previous Panny and current Oly?

Godfrey

thanks terry!

I'll be watching this thread for info as you move through the camera's capabilities. :)

jonoslack

Congratulations Terry.
Another new camera . . . I seem to be slipping up badly here, I'll have to think of something to get hrrrrrrm :rolleyes:

Jonas

Thank you for these reports Terry. I'm following the thread as I'm interested in a better G1... The rear control dial would be of value to me (I still click and move that front wheel unintentionally). But I hope there is more to the camera. Touch control is OK to me, I think it can be of value from tile to time, as can the new AutoISO algorithm (and why not let the user decide?). The real question is if the image quality is improved. So, what about DR and noise, at both high and low ISO?

and congratulations,

Jonas

edz

Hi Terry, could you give us some more details on what the manual focus guide feature is. Thanks!

CPWarner

Amazon was incredible. I paid for 2 day shipping yesterday and it showed up today! Wow.

Initial impressions. I really like the EVF, it is much better than the one on the GF1 and is very usable. The touch screen is neat for macro work with non moving objects. I have not tried it out on moving subjects with the focus tracking yet, so no clue as to how well that works. One can still control things from the buttons so much that you could skip the touch screen altogether, but I think I will end up using it frequently as it is faster than pushing buttons to move a focus point. It is not the same technology as on the iPhone and requires a more substantial push. So far I like it a lot.

I have not done a ton with image quality, but here is a photo of one of the local residents of our back yard at ISO 1600. I did a black level adjustment along with contrast adjustment in Lightroom on an in camera JPG.

CPWarner

Hi Terry, could you give us some more details on what the manual focus guide feature is. Thanks!
It is a horizontal line with a mountain (infinity) at one side and a flower (closest focus distance) at the other with a bar showing you where you are. This ONLY works with focus by wire lenses, and does not work with manual focus lenses. I found it to be somewhat helpful, but working with my 45mm macro one time I had trouble manual focusing in spite of it. Switched to auto, got in range and then switched back to manual.

Terry

Great backyard little critter.

A lot going on at work this week and got called away unexpectedly. I have all weekend to play around with the camera. Started to take some videos of how the touch screen works but really don't have the time to work with it since I need to leave for the airport in 7 hours which doesn't leave a lot of time for sleep/shower etc.

scho

Today I worked with the G2 and a MF lens (Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar) using a tripod. The articulating touch screen was a pleasure to use in this mode. Just tap the screen at the scene location where you want to focus and the magnified view pops up at that point. Focus manually, magnify further with the rear wheel if necessary, and then just touch the shutter release to return to full view. Sample image below.

Martin S

Is the control wheel a little stiffer than on the G1. I still find myself activating the button function when I just want to turn wheel.

All those with a G2 please respond as this is the only problem I have with the G1 design.

Martin

Jonas

Today I worked with the G2 and a MF lens (Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar) using a tripod. The articulating touch screen was a pleasure to use in this mode. (...)
I know many are shaking their head at the touch screen but this is an example showing why I want one. A minor detail; does the 2-sec delay work when tripping the camera from the screen?

Jonas

scho

Is the control wheel a little stiffer than on the G1. I still find myself activating the button function when I just want to turn wheel.

All those with a G2 please respond as this is the only problem I have with the G1 design.

Martin
Yes Martin, the wheel is a bit stiffer and works fine in the new location on the back making it much less prone to accidental activation.
I know many are shaking their head at the touch screen but this is an example showing why I want one. A minor detail; does the 2-sec delay work when tripping the camera from the screen?

Jonas
Yes, Jonas the 2- sec delay works when tripping the release from the touch screen.

Jonas

Yes Martin, the wheel is a bit stiffer and works fine in the new location on the back making it much less prone to accidental activation.

Yes, Jonas the 2- sec delay works when tripping the release from the touch screen.
All good to hear. I'm in.
... and a complaint; the camera body only is available in black only. Darn. I like my µ4/3 cameras blue... lol, what are they thinking about at panasonic

:)

Cheers,

Jonas