The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

A

Apperloo

I have been using P mode. Will try shutter priority and give it a shot.
Although I do have the viewfinder, I am more comfortable using my neck strap for support, although I will try it again.
I have uploaded 3 photos to my album. The ducks napping are consistent to most of my results at this time. Noisy :(

300mm Handheld, cropped 200%
[/IMG]

300mm rested, cropped 100%

300mm rested

Oh my goodness, why are they so large ??

biglouis

Thanks Louis, it's what I photograph most, I'm very pleased with the lens
Actually, one advantage of the slightly lower contrast of this lens is that it preserves a lot more detail in the background, as can be seen in Lufthansa landing and the KLM taking off.

Louis

Rich M

Apperloo,
Using a very long lens with a very small camera is tricky. It's not easy to hold it stable enough, and although OIS helps, long is still long. To be on the safe side, I would use shutter priority, minimum 1/500s with OIS and 1/1000s without. That means that you will often be shooting wide open and/or at relatively high ISO, but there really is no such thing as a free lunch. Remember that, at the longest end, that lens is 600mm eqv. Only ten years ago, that kind of focal length was more or less unheard of in the amateur world.

Correct technique is also important, and since the GF1 doesn't have a proper grip, you must have a relatively firm grip around the lens to keep it stable.

Hope this helps, at least a little bit.
Apperloo.....Jorgen has the best advice (it should be laminated on a plastic card and sent out with any long lens sold).

I have shot the 100-300 on my GF1 and it is a little problematic because of the lack of camera grip. One thing you might try is to get a monopod since it sounds like you are taking it hiking.

Correct monopod technique is very important.....think of your two legs being the two legs of a tripod with the monopod being the third leg.

Here is a random web search result on monopod technique:

http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3

Two other items that are not discussed much are 1) using a wired shutter release....reduces camera shake and frees up a hand.....(they are super cheap...I got mine for $8) and 2) a camera quick release plate to be able to mount your camera on the monopod quickly and not miss a shot.

Practice....breathing .....stance....they all add up in the long term to you getting the most out of your lens.

Hope this helps......R

I

ishani

Brought the 100-300 when I got my GF1, as I always enjoyed taking my 90-300 out with my 50D so wanted a decent tele to play with.

Went out for a wander in Glasgow the other day when we had a bout of fog, strong winter sun and sudden frost... some of the animals hanging out in Kelvingrove Park became my first real tests :)

I am pretty happy with its performance so far - AF and OIS managed to keep up with squirrels flitting about.. the only let-down being my aging reflexes to hit the shutter before they scampered off again!

Focusing is silent and fast, haven't had too much hunting, even at 300mm.

My only complaint so far is the zoom adjustment ring is a little stiff - perhaps a product of having such a substantial lens on a tiny body .. hard to generate the appropriate torque with the given grip. Or perhaps it's just my lens. And, of course, it is laughably huge compared to the set of 1"-square 25mm C-mounts I had knocking about in my bag.. but that's to be expected, being able to reach out to 300(/600)mm is totally worth it (for me, anyway).

300mm, 1/400th at f5.6, ISO 400
Shot with lens resting on fence strut.

300mm, 1/320th at f5.6, ISO 400
Shot half-kneeling, hand-held.

.. nice for some landscape work too!

300mm, 1/1250th at f8.0, ISO 100

Stick with it, Apperloo, there's plenty of fun to be had :D

-h

lcubed

just how close were you to the squirrell??
looks like a perfect portrait. eyes and face are in perfect focus and the expression is great!!:D

biglouis

Ishani, welcome to the forum. Three fantastic exemplars of the lens in action. I too am knocked out with its use for landscape.

LouisB

I

ishani

Thanks for the welcomes and kind words! :)

lcubed - pretty close, infact I think just on the edge of the 100-300's minimum focus distance; AF was rejecting occasionally as I tried to compose. I was lucky he had found something on the ground to eat and was distracted enough to let me fuss about quite near-by!

ggibson

Wow, ishani--fantastic shots. I especially like the squirrel close-up. Perfect focus and great texture in the fur.

Roel

Ishani,

Your shots are excellent. I have ordered my copy and will get it on Monday. It is great to see what this lens can do in capable hands.

Well done!

Rich M

Ishani.....I love that squirrel.....v nice.

Here's a shot from this week at 300mm...a polebender casting for ulua.

R

A

Apperloo

Brought the 100-300 when I got my GF1, as I always enjoyed taking my 90-300 out with my 50D so wanted a decent tele to play with.

Went out for a wander in Glasgow the other day when we had a bout of fog, strong winter sun and sudden frost... some of the animals hanging out in Kelvingrove Park became my first real tests :)

I am pretty happy with its performance so far - AF and OIS managed to keep up with squirrels flitting about.. the only let-down being my aging reflexes to hit the shutter before they scampered off again!

Focusing is silent and fast, haven't had too much hunting, even at 300mm.

My only complaint so far is the zoom adjustment ring is a little stiff - perhaps a product of having such a substantial lens on a tiny body .. hard to generate the appropriate torque with the given grip. Or perhaps it's just my lens. And, of course, it is laughably huge compared to the set of 1"-square 25mm C-mounts I had knocking about in my bag.. but that's to be expected, being able to reach out to 300(/600)mm is totally worth it (for me, anyway).

300mm, 1/400th at f5.6, ISO 400
Shot with lens resting on fence strut.

300mm, 1/320th at f5.6, ISO 400
Shot half-kneeling, hand-held.

.. nice for some landscape work too!

300mm, 1/1250th at f8.0, ISO 100

Stick with it, Apperloo, there's plenty of fun to be had :D

-h
Its a great boost to see these awesome shots at 300mm, and with the GF1.

WELL DONE

I have been in grey and rainy days since i received mine, and am sure light has been part of the issues I have been fighting ..............

Thank You again for posting your great captures.

M

monkeyking

Curious if anyone has used this lens indoors with ample light? At what focal length does the lens start to stop down from wide open? I will be on tripod shooting speakers at a podium that will be well lit.

wjlapier

Anyone who has the GH2 and 100-300 lens test for continuous AF? Moving subjects coming towards you? I shoot alot my kids doing sports and have a HS track kid who runs the 1600m. Probably the fastest subject I'll shoot.

lcubed

from what i've seen on the other forums, CAF for video was in the preproduction GH2 0.2 firmware, but removed from the production 1.0 firmware.

given the current weather conditions, i haven't tried AFC for stills on a fast moving object.