The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Autofocusing PL 45 with a GH2

S

sagarmatha

I have the option of buying a little used PL 45 for a good price. Today I was able to see and use a GH2+14-140 for the first time in a shop. What an EVF!
Thom Hogan doesn't value the PL 45 very high: "The problem is focus. It's a slow-to-focus lens in my experience, and a tempremental one when used with continuous autofocus. Manual focus on the current crop of m4/3 bodies doesn't exactly excite me, and for macro work, getting precise manual focus is also high on the list of desired traits. Generally, I felt I was often fighting to get the focus point I desired with this lens, and that struggle increased the closer the focus point. So the question becomes one of price versus expected performance, and I think this current iteration fails. Perhaps with the GH2's faster autofocus I may change my opinion here, but for the current crop of m4/3 bodies I just felt this lens underdelivered on its promise."
So my question to you is: does this lens work better with a GH2 compared to e.g. G1/GH1?

Roel

I find the PL45 is much faster to focus on my GH2 vs. my GF1 ... in fact, it acts like (focus wise) like a completely different lens on the GH2.

Roel

You are welcome. I agree with Thom Hogan... optically, the PL45 is a very good lens. But when I had it on my GF1, focus was a bit trying at times. Now with the GH2, no worries.

Get the PL45... it is a very good lens, especially in combination with the GH2.

biglouis

Don't hesitate. The one thing which is keeping me honest with m43rds is the PL 45. Well, that's not wholly true: the 20/1.7 ain't shabby either...

simonclivehughes

I'd add that as far as using the lens for macro, AF is problematic with any lens. You really need MF for the remarkably shallow DOF in macro focussing. I've never really noticed any significant AF issue for using the lens for non-macro shooting though (on GH1, GF1 or E-PL1).

Cheers,

markwon

I'd add that as far as using the lens for macro, AF is problematic with any lens. You really need MF for the remarkably shallow DOF in macro focussing. I've never really noticed any significant AF issue for using the lens for non-macro shooting though (on GH1, GF1 or E-PL1).

Cheers,
+1

Cheers,
+2

It's a rare lens that will autofocus reliably under true macro conditions (I.E. 1:1). The problem is that the DOF is so shallow that the camera blows through the focus point without realizing it had achieved focus. This manifests itself as lens/camera hunting.

Paul

lcubed

i've seen comments elsewhere that using the GH2's touch screen to pick the focus point is a real plus with this lense. unfortunately, i don't have a copy of this lense to try out

CPWarner

You are welcome. I agree with Thom Hogan... optically, the PL45 is a very good lens. But when I had it on my GF1, focus was a bit trying at times. Now with the GH2, no worries.

Get the PL45... it is a very good lens, especially in combination with the GH2.
+1

The Panasonic Leica 45mm f/2.8 is one of my favorite lenses on my GH2 (and G2 before that).

Cliff