The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

El Cheapo GH1

lcubed

Are those domestic Japanese units, or or for the international market? Less than useful if they're locked to japanese only menus.

K

Kevin_b1

Here in the UK the cheapest price for the GH1 plus 14-42mm lens is still £599 which is somewhere around $900 thats a big difference to the price in the US of £375.

Regards

Kevin

Tesselator

Are those domestic Japanese units, or or for the international market? Less than useful if they're locked to japanese only menus.
They are Japanese units with Japanese menus - until you patch the firmware that panasonic supplies and then you get access to all of the languages that are in that firmware file - which is a buttload - like, 14 different ones or something - including English of course.

If the camera ever needs to be sent in for warrantee the Panasonic Global Support will accept it with and without the patched firmware but it would of course be smart to restore it to it's natural state first.

If the camera is in such bad shape that it cannot be restored I guarantee that Panasonic will not honor their warrantee agreement anyway - in which case you'd be out of luck regardless where it came from or what firmware was installed.

DavidL

£299 body only is the cheapest price I have seen in the UK, albeit the red body. Was really tempted just because it's a bargain but I have a GH2.

K

Kevin_b1

£299 body only is the cheapest price I have seen in the UK, albeit the red body. Was really tempted just because it's a bargain but I have a GH2.
David
Which shop in the UK was that price for the GH1?

Regards
Kevin

monza

These have to be the hackable GH1s for this to work, right?

They are Japanese units with Japanese menus - until you patch the firmware that panasonic supplies and then you get access to all of the languages that are in that firmware file - which is a buttload - like, 14 different ones or something - including English of course.

If the camera ever needs to be sent in for warrantee the Panasonic Global Support will accept it with and without the patched firmware but it would of course be smart to restore it to it's natural state first.

If the camera is in such bad shape that it cannot be restored I guarantee that Panasonic will not honor their warrantee agreement anyway - in which case you'd be out of luck regardless where it came from or what firmware was installed.

hot

Germany - only available with 14-140

price: sea robbery €1200-€1800 = $1600-$2400 !!! (toc-toc-toc ... made Obelix)

first-day-price was € 1550

Tesselator

These have to be the hackable GH1s for this to work, right?
Unless you can read Japanese. But they're the hackable (back-stock) kind so they should be OK.

Also I said 'I'll send you one' before and got a few people asking me to. So I calculated every little charge, tax, todays's exchange rate, and etc. and the price delivered to the USA is almost exactly $420. The falling dollar is pretty low right now! Scary stuff!

Last edited:

MRfanny

very tempting offer tesselator. I picked up a hackable body only from taiwan for my sister at the beginning of the month for about $600AUD can't believe how cheap they are in japan now, could have bought two =). how much are hackable gf1's going for now in japan.