The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Leica Summilux 25mm/1.4

Terry

I assume you are talking about the new one from m4/3. I'm waiting for the lens..... these look good. Any thought about the lens?

T

taphapy

Here's a mini rose bloom shot with a +10 diopter on the front. The 25mm lens is bright and sharp and a wonderful addition to my stuff.

What about this great lens for m4/3
loud and annoying sound from aperture in certain conditions... imagine such situation - you try to shoot w/ wider aperture under a bright sun... so parameters are for example, "A" mode, ISO160, f2 and exposure metered to 1/4000... camera can't keep f2 while the sensor is feeding EVF and/or LV otherwise you will not see anything - there is no global shutter, base ISO is too high, readout from sensor for EVF/LV is still 60fps... so camera has to stop the lens down a lot when sensor is feeding EVF/LV... now imagine that you are now making a shot, then camera opens PL25/1.4 aperture wide open to focus (and then adjusts for a shot unless you just focus) and then it has to stop it back down to resume feeding EVF/LV... and that cycle produces quite loud noise w/ PL25/1.4 (in my case GH2 and PL25/1.4)... on top of that PL25/1.4 has quite loud and unpleasant sound when AF for still shot (at least w/ fast focusing GH2 body - which apparently w/ 120fps readout for CDAF can move optics inside faster than older bodies)... so may be optics is great, but mechanics is BAD (sounds-wise... plus all those sounds tells about some extra mechanical wear and tear)

DHart

Just picked up this lens, but haven't had opportunity to work much with it.

deejjjaaaa's post has me wondering if this was a poor choice, just when I thought I had gotten such a wonderful lens. :confused:

Just picked up this lens, but haven't had opportunity to work much with it.

deejjjaaaa's post has me wondering if this was a poor choice, just when I thought I had gotten such a wonderful lens. :confused:
my post was not about optics - but about mechanical aspects (aperture and focusing gear) of its operation.

Terry

Are you talking about the brand new lens or the old 4/3 lens which indeed was loud. In addition, just any other really fast lens outdoors, if you want to shoot wide open use an ND filter.

loud and annoying sound from aperture in certain conditions... imagine such situation - you try to shoot w/ wider aperture under a bright sun... so parameters are for example, "A" mode, ISO160, f2 and exposure metered to 1/4000... camera can't keep f2 while the sensor is feeding EVF and/or LV otherwise you will not see anything - there is no global shutter, base ISO is too high, readout from sensor for EVF/LV is still 60fps... so camera has to stop the lens down a lot when sensor is feeding EVF/LV... now imagine that you are now making a shot, then camera opens PL25/1.4 aperture wide open to focus (and then adjusts for a shot unless you just focus) and then it has to stop it back down to resume feeding EVF/LV... and that cycle produces quite loud noise w/ PL25/1.4 (in my case GH2 and PL25/1.4)... on top of that PL25/1.4 has quite loud and unpleasant sound when AF for still shot (at least w/ fast focusing GH2 body - which apparently w/ 120fps readout for CDAF can move optics inside faster than older bodies)... so may be optics is great, but mechanics is BAD (sounds-wise... plus all those sounds tells about some extra mechanical wear and tear)

I have not detected any annoying sound, in which operating conditions did you hear such a loud sound?

Are you talking about the brand new lens or the old 4/3 lens which indeed was loud.
I am talking about the brand new m43 lens of course.

In addition, just any other really fast lens outdoors, if you want to shoot wide open use an ND filter.
why 'd I want to use it to reduce the image quality by extra glass surfaces from ND filter, even from a good manufacturers w/ mc, if I still can shoot 1.4-2.0 w/ 1/2000-1/4000 ? I am not talking about making watersurface smooth here...

in which operating conditions did you hear such a loud sound?
from my text that you just quoted (I 'd assume w/o reading it ?) :

"...you try to shoot w/ wider aperture under a bright sun... so parameters are for example, "A" mode, ISO160, f2 and exposure metered to 1/4000... in my case GH2 and PL25/1.4..."

half press the shutter to just focus and listen the sound of the aperture blades working.