The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OLD Pan/Leica 25mm Summilux (4/3) vs NEW 25mm Summilux (m4/3)

just4fun

Hello,
Ok, I have the old 4/3 25mm Summilux which I really love, I hold the new one (DG version) another day and feel the new one is so cheap in my hand... so, the build, old one win but how about the image quality? I haven't have a chance to shoot with new one yet and tried to look everywhere on internet for review/comparison.
Note that the old one price is still at $800+ while the new now can find around $500 (even cheaper than the 45mm macro)
Please share your input or if you know where is the review please let me know!
thanks and happy holiday everyone!
Sonny

gfspencer

I doubt that you will find a comparison of the two. Most people probably won't own both. I ordered the old lens by mistake. I returned it and never used it. I have the new lens now. As well as I can remember the old lens, I don't see much difference in build quality. I can't talk about images. (The new lens has a micro coating on the elements. That is supposed to be better. I don't know.)

I have been very, very pleased with the images from the new one. The new lens with the GX1 is a great combo. I will use it for almost all of my holiday pictures.

If you are talking about "feel" you are probably right. The new lens is a largely plastic lens. I also have a Leica M6TTL and a Leica M8 with four Leica lenses. The new 25mm lens isn't as sturdy as those lenses but those lenses are metal (brass?) and they cost a whole lot more. I guess you get what you pay for.

just4fun

No, I haven't compare with the M Lenses, totally different class,
The old 25mm is big, heavy and require an adapter
The new is is light, small and no adapter.
The micro coating is NOT necessary better, just different formula.
But really, no doubt, the new one was much better build (over build), in fact, they don't do that anymore and I heard people using Panasonic AF-100 Camcorder like the old one better because it's balance on the Cam and focus ring also feel better and more accurate.
My own experience with the old 25mm, I wouldn't trade t with anything on GH2 especially on Video :)
The price different also huge:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PJX50F4EHCXH0WWYGA6

vs

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Leica-Summilux-Aspherical-System/dp/B0056ENURU

Anyway, I think there must be some site that have the comparison, please keep looking or do your own test if you have a chance, I certainly will when I have a chance. Isn't you will curious about that yourself?
Thanks

just4fun

i manage to have both lens now and did some test, the old lens win big time in IQ, I am not going to post the test due to not enough interest... so consider this topic is closed!
Thanks

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
i manage to have both lens now and did some test, the old lens win big time in IQ, I am not going to post the test due to not enough interest... so consider this topic is closed!
Thanks
Thank you for doing that. As a user of 4/3 as well as m4/3, I've been wondering which one to buy, but now tends towards the old, big and heavy one (and maybe the Voigtlander as an additional bonus for m4/3 :D )

nugat

I have both. I use the 4/3 version on E5 and the m43 version on m43 bodies. The m43 one is software corrected, eg distortion on the "old" one is 1%, and the new one 2.3% before correction etc. Both do their job very well, but I have a soft spot for the "old" guy but it really feels better on the E5 than on GH1/2.

M

Markus

I owned both of them and IMHO any differences are hard to notice in real world usage. The lovely and creamy bokeh is right on the spot with both lenses.

The FT variant is way too big on a MFT body, so I comes down to system you use. If you use FT and MFT, the "older" lens might come in handy.

B

boyzo

I have the 43 PL 25/f1.4 Superb lens :):thumbs:
m43 25/f1.4 don't really care about it