Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Forum > 4/3rds Cameras

4/3rds Cameras Includes Micro 4/3rds Cameras

Site Sponsors

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2012   #51

Re: OMD gold award at dpreview

How is start up time of OMD?
A frustration of the Fuji X100 is the slow start up and response. any comments comparing AF and start up speed between these 2 cameras? IQ similar?
Old 9th May 2012   #52

What a real surprise to me, how close it is to the Nikon D800 !!!
kweide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012   #53
Subscriber Member

Send a message via Skype™ to kit laughlin

Hello Boyso,

Yes, I had a closer look at the Oly one, and it's a beautiful (and clever) device, so will probably get that.

Good morning Annna T; thank you for those links—I have owned hundreds of cameras literally, film and digital, but the OM-D is the toughest to set up for me, so far.

I wlll go through both of these links, and post back. Thanks!
Old 9th May 2012   #54
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweide View Post
What a real surprise to me, how close it is to the Nikon D800 !!!

I'm confused

Just this guy you know
jonoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012   #55
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboyle View Post
How is start up time of OMD?
A frustration of the Fuji X100 is the slow start up and response. any comments comparing AF and start up speed between these 2 cameras? IQ similar?
The Fuji start up is only slow under one instance. That is when files from your operating system end up on you SD card. This happens with Apple computers depending on how you download the files. To solve it you can write protect the card when you copy the files to your computer or reformat the card after each download. It can take like15 seconds to have a functioning camera if you don't do this.
Old 9th May 2012   #56
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post

Good morning Annna T; thank you for those links—I have owned hundreds of cameras literally, film and digital, but the OM-D is the toughest to set up for me, so far.
+1
Old 16th May 2012   #57

Send a message via Skype™ to smartwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
The review says the focus tracking on the OM-D is very disappointing. Too bad - I thought I could use it for fast moving sports. I have written a review of the NEX-7 with the phase adapter as a sports camera that will appear soon on stevehuffphoto.com.
I spent the weekend at Laguna Seca shooting with the OM-D and the GH-1 as backup for when the battery went flat.

Initially I was disappointed with the continuous AF on the OM-D and also the blanking on the EVF. Then I went back to the GH-1 and saw how comparatively bad that was.

CAF-TR is a pretty awful mode to use if you believe the manual. Half-pressing the shutter and waiting for it to lock on the subject, while panning a moving race car, just does not work.
I simply panned with the car and fully pressed the shutter, no half measures, and with release priority Off (default is On, change that!) it locks in about 1/4 second and takes the 1st shot. Then there is an annoying 1/2 second delay before it goes into burst mode and almost reaches the requested 4fps.

Same applies to CAF mode without tracking, try to pan with a car and even with the huge AF area I could pan all the way from the top of the corkscrew to the bottom and there would be no AF lock to then shoot a burst.
Just mash the shutter and trust the electronics and it worked much better.

Trying to use CAF-TR for a bird in flight was useless.
First I had the bird in my sights, then the tracking engaged with a half-press and the square with ticks jumped around like a flea anywhere except where the bird was. Finally the AF kicked in and drove the lens so far out of focus the bird vanished and I could no longer pan with it.

In CAF mode it was little better, once the AF hunted far enough to blur the bird into the blue sky so it could not be tracked, then there was no way to fully press the shutter to get the picture.

My best attempt was to half-press and get an AF lock on distant trees, then look up to the vulture, track it and full-press the shutter and wait until it got AF lock and shot.

This is going to require a lot of work to get the right technique, because it's not working following the manual.

Oh and even with release priority set to Off, the camera will still shoot an out of focus image. Really far out of focus.

Overall though, it was manageable and I got saleable images out of the weekend.

I can't wait until I recover the strength in my hand and can use my Canon 1D cameras though. They're what I really need for motorsport
Jorgen Udvang likes this.
smartwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012   #58
Subscriber Member

Thank you for a very useful writeup, Racingwombat. That means I'll keep my Nikons for motor racing (and I'll need another dry cabinet ).

My blog: http://epixx.me/
Jorgen Udvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012   #59
Not Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Had some time to play with the E-M5 this past Sunday at the store.

- Nice feel, tight and solid.
- It's small!
- Lots of controls*in a cramped space, but what you need to work with*all the time is easy to deal with.
- Good viewfinder, good LCD.
- Don't like the 12-50 zoom, but the 45/1.8 is delightful.

All in all, a fine piece from Olympus, as I always expect. I wish it were 20% larger overall, though.

(And I'm happy with my current equipment ... not looking to buy anything photographic. I've been putting money into shaping up die Gelbe Gefahr instead... ;-)
From the Old fart a judgement on the new OM-D . we are blessed ;-)
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012   #60
Not Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
Hello Boyso,

Yes, I had a closer look at the Oly one, and it's a beautiful (and clever) device, so will probably get that.

I wlll go through both of these links, and post back. Thanks!
go here
suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012   #61

[QUOTE=Vivek;412919]Hi Jono,

No, I do not have the C-V 25/0.95. I am mighty interested in the 17/0.95.

There is a rumored upcoming 35/0.95 from China (see: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/sony/3...35-0-95-a.html).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cor blimey.... I love the 35mm focal length (meaning 70mm) for m43. I am pining for my 75mm Summilux of old, mounted on my m6. Today the 35mm f1.2 Voight is an absolute cracker but it doesn't focus close enough. From the sample pics it looks sharp or at least at the center. And the bokeh looks bokehlicious as they say. Cor will someone start a thread on this so we can track this thing? I am not an expert at forums. Right now I am using a made in China c-mount 35mm f1.7 lens. It is fun but can be reasonable sharp. You can see it here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparaz...in/photostream

Last edited by paparazzi666; 23rd May 2012 at 08:54.
paparazzi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012   #62
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyzo View Post
From the Old fart a judgement on the new OM-D . we are blessed ;-)
Gettin' old aint for sissies, kiddo. ];-)

G
Old 23rd May 2012   #63
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparazzi666 View Post
Cor blimey.... I love the 35mm focal length (meaning 70mm) for m43. I am pining for my 75mm Summilux of old, mounted on my m6. Today the 35mm f1.2 Voight is an absolute cracker but it doesn't focus close enough. From the sample pics it looks sharp or at least at the center. And the bokeh looks bokehlicious as they say. ...
My lingering bits of FourThirds gear include the E-1 and both a Zuiko Digital 35mm f/3.5 Macro and an adapted Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8. They're what I use most on that camera now, 35-40 mm just works so beautifully on it.

It's surprising to me that Olympus hasn't offered a 35mm f/2 or f/1.4 for the M.Zuiko line yet. 45 is nice but a little long.
Old 23rd May 2012   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
My lingering bits of FourThirds gear include the E-1 and both a Zuiko Digital 35mm f/3.5 Macro and an adapted Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8. They're what I use most on that camera now, 35-40 mm just works so beautifully on it.

It's surprising to me that Olympus hasn't offered a 35mm f/2 or f/1.4 for the M.Zuiko line yet. 45 is nice but a little long.
-------------------------
Hi Godfrey, I have the Hexanon too. It's so cheap and very good. But it's not like a 0.95. I love my 25mm 0.95. To me it's a cracker for such a high speed lens. I know some people who have that mounted permanently on their m43 camera... like this lady..
hello hyperfocusing! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have a set on Flickr with the 25mm Nokton here...
Flickr: Please wait...

The other option is the 40/1.4 of the old Olympus PenF or the 42/1.2 PenF, but these lenses are now way way too expensive on ebay, and just a bit too long, with a stronger tele compression effect. I find the 70mm full frame tele gives a more normal perspective, it can even look like a 50mm, just tighter and fatter bokeh. I really am interested in this China lens. Hope it's affordable.
paparazzi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012   #65
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparazzi666 View Post
Hi Godfrey, I have the Hexanon too. It's so cheap and very good. But it's not like a 0.95. I love my 25mm 0.95.
The other option is the 40/1.4 of the old Olympus PenF or the 42/1.2 PenF, but these lenses are now way way too expensive on ebay, and just a bit too long, with a stronger tele compression effect. I find the 70mm full frame tele gives a more normal perspective, it can even look like a 50mm, just tighter and fatter bokeh.
I had the Pen F 40/1.4 at the same time as I had the Hexanon AR 40/1.8. The two lenses are nearly identical twins with regard to rendering qualities ... I sold the Oly lens because I could use the Konica on both FourThirds SLR and Micro-FourThirds where the Oly was only usable with the mFT mount. I wish Olympus had made a fast 35 to 40mm lens for FourThirds SLR, just like I wanted a fast 17 to 19mm lens as well. But they didn't, and I doubt they ever will. The Summilux 25/1.4 ASPH (FT SLR) is very nice. The wonderful 14-35/2 is just too big, heavy and expensive.

I don't know how a 70mm lens can produce a look that's shorter than a 40mm lens..? doesn't make sense. The Olympus Pen 70mm f/2 produces a beautiful look, however, with a bit of compression and a very nice feel. Used that one quite a lot with the G1.

Given Micro-FourThirds and a choice between the Summilux 25/1.4 and Voigtländer 25/0.95, it's a bit of a toss up. Both are excellent lenses, I've seen a lot of work with both of them. Now that Voigtländer has made a 17mm f/0.95 as well, I'd probably buy both Voigtländers and stick with the Konica 40 and Pen F 70 mm if I were buiding up a Micro-FourThirds kit again. That way the camera works the same way with my entire lens kit, rather than one way with the normal and a different way with the other lenses. Makes for fewer mistakes.

Fun stuff. I enjoyed my Olympus and Panasonic FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds gear, and I still enjoy the E-1, although I use it rather infrequently at the moment. Too many other things are keeping me busy.
Old 1st June 2012   #66

As if we need any more convincing... Full review: The Olympus OM-D E-M5 (from Ming Thein, who also reviewed the Monochrom)
Old 2nd June 2012   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
As if we need any more convincing... Full review: The Olympus OM-D E-M5 (from Ming Thein, who also reviewed the Monochrom)
Oh boy, that was a not a smart read for me because he is one of the few reviewers I pay attention to. I guess I just decided to get back into mft. Thanks for the link anyway
retow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012   #68
Workshop Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retow View Post
Oh boy, that was a not a smart read for me because he is one of the few reviewers I pay attention to. I guess I just decided to get back into mft. Thanks for the link anyway
Do not worry, happened to me same way without that review.

And this time I am really convinced of m43 and especially of the OMD!

http://photography.tomsu.eu/
ptomsu is offline   Reply With Quote