Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Forum > 4/3rds Cameras

4/3rds Cameras Includes Micro 4/3rds Cameras

Site Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2009   #101

Re: E-P1 is out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Some more samples here, including RAW files for the pixel peepers.

http://www.photographyblog.com/artic...us_e-p1_photos

I'm extremly suprise with it's high ISO results. This bad boy is going to rock hard!
Old 18th June 2009   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
I'm extremly suprise with it's high ISO results. This bad boy is going to rock hard!
I dunno... there's tons of midtone noise at ISO 1600 and up.
Old 18th June 2009   #103
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
I dunno... there's tons of midtone noise at ISO 1600 and up.
Everything's relative . . . if you're comparing it with the d-lux4? Or the dp1?

Just this guy you know
jonoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
Everything's relative . . . if you're comparing it with the d-lux4? Or the dp1?
I guess I was relating sensitivity/noise performance to sensor size. Can't resist comparing to SLR sensors.
Old 19th June 2009   #105

Quote:
Thank you Ben . . . I thought the silence was reproachful

I won't even go into the issue of envy.
ENVY = except no viewfinder yet, to complete the phrase

Robert.
Robert Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #106
Tim

Send a message via Yahoo to Tim

Which applications (Win) can read the E-P1 RAW files? Photoshop?, Capture One?

Any suggestions?

I need education about the .orf format.

Thanks
Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #107
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Which applications (Win) can read the E-P1 RAW files? Photoshop?, Capture One?

Any suggestions?

I need education about the .orf format.

Thanks
HI Tim
I think this may be a real issue.
It sounds like Olympus are putting lens information into the RAW files (like panasonic have done with the LX3 and G1 - this seems to limit the RAW support.

I imagine that ACR and Lightroom will be on board quite soon. Aperture have yet to fully support ANY camera with lens information, I wonder if they will?

Olympus Master and Studio will, of course, support the files, and they are reasonably good examples of proprietary software.

I just wish they would use .dng like Leica do - it makes life so much simpler!

With a bit of luck Capture One will support the camera, but I guess it all depends on how well it takes off.

Just this guy you know
Old 19th June 2009   #108
Subscriber Member

Quote:
HI Tim
I just wish they would use .dng like Leica do - it makes life so much simpler!
... and Pentax

My blog: http://epixx.me/
Jorgen Udvang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #109
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
... and Pentax
HI Jorgen
I didn't know that - how sensible they are . . . the K7 looks great, but it's no more pocketable than an M8, the A900 with the 24-105 . . or, indeed, a london bus :-)

Just this guy you know
Old 19th June 2009   #110
Subscriber Member

Quote:
HI Jorgen
I didn't know that - how sensible they are . . . the K7 looks great, but it's no more pocketable than an M8, the A900 with the 24-105 . . or, indeed, a london bus :-)
That's right, and when there's a viewfinder version of the Olympus out, I'll be running for it, to use with my OM primes (if I have any money left after buying the Pentax ). For me, the Pentax will be a bit of an M8 substitute. Think the M8 with a 90/2, the K-7 with a 77/1.8 and an A900 with a 135/1.8. I'm not sure which will be the most compact, but I know which one will be way bigger and heavier than the other two.

But of course, compared to the London Bus, they will all seem rather tiny

Ummm... I had to check. The Pentax combo is slightly lighter than the Leica. The Sony is the same as the two combined. Not sure about the bus. Depends if it has a full tank, doesn't it

Old 19th June 2009   #111
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
That's right, and when there's a viewfinder version of the Olympus out, I'll be running for it, to use with my OM primes (if I have any money left after buying the Pentax ). For me, the Pentax will be a bit of an M8 substitute. Think the M8 with a 90/2, the K-7 with a 77/1.8 and an A900 with a 135/1.8. I'm not sure which will be the most compact, but I know which one will be way bigger and heavier than the other two.

But of course, compared to the London Bus, they will all seem rather tiny

Ummm... I had to check. The Pentax combo is slightly lighter than the Leica. The Sony is the same as the two combined. Not sure about the bus. Depends if it has a full tank, doesn't it
Hmm well
M8 = 591gm
K7 = 750
A900 = 895

So the Pentax is closer to the A900 than the leica. I'm sure the pentax 77 1.8 is lovely, but it's hardly comparable to the 135 zeiss (at least in focal length), and if you put the 75 'cron on the Leica instead ?

Just this guy you know
Old 19th June 2009   #112
Subscriber Member

Quote:
Hmm well
M8 = 591gm
K7 = 750
A900 = 895

So the Pentax is closer to the A900 than the leica. I'm sure the pentax 77 1.8 is lovely, but it's hardly comparable to the 135 zeiss (at least in focal length), and if you put the 75 'cron on the Leica instead ?

You forgot the weight of the lenses. The Cron is 500g, the Pentax 270g and the Zeiss 1,050g. The Pentax 77/1.8 and the 35/2.8 macro and the 15/4.0 and the weather sealed 55/1.4 weighs in at 1,072g. Even the excellent, weather sealed 50-135/2.8 isn't more than 765g. From an objective point of view, the Pentax 70/2.4 is a better lens than the 77mm. It's sharp from corner to corner, even wide open, it's cheaper, it's smaller and it's even lighter at 130g, but it's also 7mm shorter and one stop slower.

The Cron and the Pentax will give an FOV corresponding to somewhere between 115 and 120mm on 35mm. A bit shorter than the Zeiss, but not by very much. The Pentax is the weakest lens of these when it comes to edge sharpness wide open, and there's some purple fringing as well, but apart from that, it's a very strong contender.

Olympus would undoubtedly be able to make lenses that compare well with these as well, but they don't, at least not for the time being. There's the 50/2.0 macro of course, but that's basically it, at least as long as we talk about fast primes.

If weight, size and cost weren't issues, my priorities would possibly look differently, but I'm searching for the best system that can be carried anywhere. The Zeiss/Sony lenses are too big and too heavy, while the Leica is too expensive, which leaves me with the Pentax, at least for now.

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 19th June 2009 at 06:20.
Old 19th June 2009   #113
Super Duper

Interesting video about the E-P1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJbLdGA-ZTE
monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #114
Super Duper

Do you have an idea from Oly of when you should see your first shipment?
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #115
Super Duper

They are just saying 'July' which could mean they ship one camera to each dealer the last day of July...that would be enough to fulfill their promise. The rep is supposed to come by today, maybe there will be some more useful information...
Old 19th June 2009   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
Interesting video about the E-P1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJbLdGA-ZTE
Thanks for that. It was good seeing it in hand (I did notice that one was using the big wrist/hand grip--wondering if he felt it was easier to handle that way--or afraid to drop it).

I still like the camera but no matter what they say, I know, having tried it with other cameras, that I just am never happy without the option for a VF--I just often can't see adequately in daylight. But--I really do love the design *smile*. I'll watch on the sidelines and see how others feel about it.

Diane
Diane B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #117
Super Duper

The most interesting comment to me, was the performance of the LCD in bright light. Of course, these are Olympus people, not independent users, but that bodes pretty well nonetheless.
Old 19th June 2009   #118
Ranger 9

Quote:
The most interesting comment to me, was the performance of the LCD in bright light. Of course, these are Olympus people, not independent users, but that bodes pretty well nonetheless.
Then again, what else are Olympus reps gonna say?

"Geez, I can't see @#$% in this thing..." "CUT!"

I mean, it might be fine... but I'll believe it when I see it.

[Gratuitous comment: Of the presenters in the video, I'd like my demo from the nice blonde lady, please...]

Speaking of blonde -- did it look to anyone else as if the back surfaces of the camera have a kind of "champagne" metal finish, or was that just weird white balance on the video?

Last edited by Ranger 9; 19th June 2009 at 07:26.
Old 19th June 2009   #119
Super Duper

The rep has arrived, I'll be trying it out for myself in the Texas sun in a few minutes. Unfortunately the rep isn't the blonde...
Old 19th June 2009   #120
Super Duper

I just checked out the E-P1, here are my initial observations, bear in mind I only had a few minutes with the camera, it really takes a lot more time to carefully evaluate details.

1. LCD performs well in bright light, of course others may disagree, but I believe it is more than up to the task. Can you shoot with the sun directly shining over your shoulder into the LCD? No, but that is a rather rare occurrence, it's fairly easy to shift the angle of view and recompose, indirect bright light is not a problem. I didn't see any issues using the lower res display.
2. Autofocus on the kit zoom has more vibration than the Pansonic kit lens, but seems to be about the same speed, certainly fast enough for me.
3. The rep did not have the 17mm or the viewfinder, he did have the flash and the 4/3 adapter (but not the OM adapter.)
4. Manual focus works very similarly to the G1 -- press the info button, then ok, then use the thumbwheel to use 7x or 10x magnification
5. I tried putting a Pen F lens on the camera but the RJ (Jinfinance) adapter does not mount. I will try the Hawk adapter and some M adapters next.
6. I like the menu interface, it appears to have two sets of them, one more akin to point and shoots and one more like the Oly DSLRs, so whichever way the user is coming from, the camera can accommodate.
7. The Panasonic kit lens worked fine on the Oly, the Oly kit lens worked fine on the Panasonic.
8. I really like in body image stabilization!
9. The E-P1 is actually smaller than the original Pen (in this case a Pen FV.)
10. I like the stainless steel.
11. The control dial is pretty slick, it can rotate (ipod-ish) or can be operated with top/bottom/left/right button press.

Old 19th June 2009   #121
Super Duper

More shots here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjagits...7619962945962/
Old 19th June 2009   #122

Thanks monza, cool shots. How does focus confirm work in MF mode? and does it also work with legacy lenses fitted via the adapter?

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Brian
Brian Mosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #123

Well, great monza. It does look terrific. Wish he had brought the 17--since that's the one that interests me. Thanks for the flickr set too. Interesting to see the lenses reversed--more or less.

Diane
Old 19th June 2009   #124

Also, how fast is the CDAF... compared to the G1?

A subjective idea would be fine

Cheers

Brian
Old 19th June 2009   #125
Super Duper

When I compared the autofocus, the G1 seemed a tad quicker, but maybe that was just due to my familiarity with the G1, or it could have been because the G1 AF is very smooth, where the E-P1 seemed to have more vibration in the lens.

The E-P1 seems very solidly built, especially comparing the shutter feel between the E-P1 and the G1. Kinda like comparing a Leica M7 to a Bessa or something. Not sure if that gives everyone a good idea of what I'm trying to describe, or not. Even though the camera is light, it seems very solid compared to the G1.

I tried the Hawk c-mount/Pen F adapter, the Milich LTM, and the Milich M adapter, they all fit fine. The Jinfinance Pen F adapter would not mount at all, there is some conflict that prevents it from turning onto the bayonet.

Here are some photos of the camera with adapted lenses:

And lastly a shot taken with the E-P1 using a 40/1.4 Pen F lens, focus was on the 4/3 logo on the E-30.

Focusing with legacy lenses works pretty much the same as on the G1, except that a half-press of the shutter button does not revert the image back to live view, it remains magnified. To turn off magnification, fire the shutter or press the ok button.

Also, the rep said that the Info button would 'remember' the last function pressed but I couldn't get this to work for some reason, or maybe I misunderstood him. The info button will bring up several other options including the manual focus box (which can be moved around the screen the same way it works on the G1) but sometimes I had to press the Info several times, cycling thru these other options, before getting to the manual focus box.
Old 19th June 2009   #126
Super Duper

Yes, I *really* wanted to see the 17 and the viewfinder, to try on the G1, too.

Apparently the camera will be shipping more towards the beginning of July than the end...
Old 19th June 2009   #127

I can only say that it is a very handsome camera. I'm trying very hard not to be tempted--at least until Fall sometime. After the dust settles, I see how others are using it and feel about it--and maybe after Panasonic moves forward with more--I'll make a decision. Not as though I'm camera poor LOL.

Diane
Old 19th June 2009   #128

I say beauty is as beauty does... and on paper I don't see any improvements that would overshadow the G1...other than t' cuteness factor... oops... forgot about the 17mm lens
Y.B.Hudson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #129
Super Duper

The main advantage I see, compared to how I use the G1, is having image stabilization with adapted lenses. Can't do that on the G1.
Old 19th June 2009   #130
Super Duper

Any new news on delivery?
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #131
Super Duper

Apparently in a couple of weeks...
Old 19th June 2009   #132
Ranger 9

Quote:
The main advantage I see, compared to how I use the G1, is having image stabilization with adapted lenses. Can't do that on the G1.
That IS a big advantage... although you also could say that it needs it more, since you can stabilize the G1 by pressing it against your face as you use the eye-level finder, vs. manipulating the Eepy from a forearm's length away...
Old 19th June 2009   #133
EWR72

Thanks for the information and images. I am looking forward to seeing your take on the 17mm and VF combination when you get stock in. It sounds like a set-up I would be very happy with as I enjoy using a viewfinder with my LX3.
Old 19th June 2009   #134
Super Duper

That is true...the E-P2 may be the ultimate for adapted lens 'cultists' like me...EVF and IS.
Old 19th June 2009   #135
Super Duper

I'd tend to agree with this article with regards to LCD in the sun, AF speed, shutter lag (or lack of it) and the quiet shutter:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...want.html#more
Old 19th June 2009   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
I say beauty is as beauty does... and on paper I don't see any improvements that would overshadow the G1...other than t' cuteness factor... oops... forgot about the 17mm lens
I said something similar in the beginning also---but besides being handsome, it would have to complement the G1 in some way. No--no improvements I see (not sure about IS since its never been something that I've needed--I have only one lens with IS for my Canon system), but it could be a second m4/3rds, smaller, slip in the pocket with the 17 or 20. However, I wouldn't buy one until I see what Panasonic is going to do this Fall. I use alternative lenses with adaptors almost totally--and I would have to experience the MF assist without a VF for me to consider it.

Right now, I'm still loving my G1--it does all I ask and more than I expected when I bought it in January.

Diane
Old 19th June 2009   #137
Super Duper

I'd seriously consider getting an E-P1 even if I never shoot photos with it. It would be a VERY nice complementary camera to the G1, simply because it can shoot video with the same lenses. I have no need for the high-end video features of the GH1.
Old 19th June 2009   #138
Super Duper

Robert, Would the 17/2.8 also be available along with the cam?

(Would there be black version of that lens? )
Vivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #139
Super Duper

Yes, according to the rep, it will. Although the pricing is better to buy the 17 with the camera...if you don't want the camera, one could sell it separately.
Old 19th June 2009   #140

How loud is the shutter??
Scott G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #141
Super Duper

It's not.

It's a deeper pitch than the G1, which is also quiet.
Old 19th June 2009   #142

Quote:
I tried the Hawk c-mount/Pen F adapter, the Milich LTM, and the Milich M adapter, they all fit fine. The Jinfinance Pen F adapter would not mount at all, there is some conflict that prevents it from turning onto the bayonet.
I had the same or similar problem with a new Jinfinance Pen F adapter on my G1. I suspect it the same problem. I corrected by filing the 3 flanges on the adapter. Here's an email from RJ he sent me when I told him about the problem.

Don

Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:58 PM
To: Don Michael
Subject: Re: Olympus pen F penF to Panasonic G1 GH1 m4/3 adapter

Hi Don,

Thanks for the message, and sorry about that...

We did made the flange a little thick than before (about 0.15mm thicker), although it still fits our G1 camera... it does feel a little tight, but I suspect my G1 camera mount might be a little loose, since it's primarily used for engeering adapters...

one of my Japanese customer modify the flange himself... see the attached picture... if you can do it , that's great... be sure to do it little by little... if not, please return it to us, and I will get you another one..

Sorry again for all the troubles...

note that surprisingly, my Japanese customer tell me this 'tight' adapter fits the new GH1 though :-)

best,

R.J.
slosync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #143

Quote:
It's not.

It's a deeper pitch than the G1, which is also quiet.
Thanks for all the info monza, much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 19th June 2009   #144

Thanks for the info, Monza. My wife and I will be driving down from Granbury on Saturday, July 25, and we are spending the night in Austin. I will stop by the store and maybe I can handle one in person. Thanks once again.
Old 19th June 2009   #145
Super Duper

I didn't know this at the time to check it out, but apparently manual lens focal lengths can be entered into the camera for EXIF and IS purposes (as posted on kenrockwell.com.)
Old 19th June 2009   #146
Super Duper

Vivek, I missed your 2nd question...the 17 is only available in silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
Robert, Would the 17/2.8 also be available along with the cam?

(Would there be black version of that lens? )
Old 19th June 2009   #147
Super Duper

Having read more and seen samples I am quite taken with the Digi-Pen.
I find, in most conditions, I like using LCD framing.
1-my periphial vision is clear so I may see what is moving into view
2-People are far less threatened by this; your face is not covered and the pose is one most have come to associate with cameraphone users. So common it draws little note
3-It appears the LCD is quite good at being viewed over a wide anlge, one can do accurate 'hail Mary' shots.
With the 17mm it gives a FOV very like that of my Hexar AF, a very big point for me.
I am saving already for this one
Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009   #148
Super Duper

Hi Monza
thanks very much for all the information - my wife will be writing to you separately

Just this guy you know
Old 20th June 2009   #149
hot

photorumors shows the "better E-P1" ... let's wait for E-P2 :-)

hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009   #150
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot View Post
photorumors shows the "better E-P1" ... let's wait for E-P2 :-)
Well, I wouldn't swap the size and looks for an EVF and a flash - so I think I'll go with the one we've got (imaginary cameras don't take good pictures

Just this guy you know