The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Cooler

Yup, K-30 is coming. I have on a good word from a little bird that is due to be announced next week. I think having a K-5 like performance sensor wise *and* weather sealing at that price with those ergonomics sure seems interesting.

Oh and 100% view finder! weather sealing + 100% view finder is unheard of at that price range.

Of course, this also means the successor of the K-5 is coming up. I am afraid Pentax will put more megapixies. I wish they stayed at 16.

- Raist
Do you have any information about FF? People say it should be released this year too!! :talk028:

mediumcool

… look at Nikon they've got a FF 36mp sensor that seems to be highly regarded.
It's feasable so why not a 24mp APS-C sensor ?
The pixel pitch would be much finer on a 24MP K-5–size sensor (23.4 x 15.6mm); this size sensor is only 44% of the area of 24 x 36mm. If you do the sums, 16MP on a Pentax K-5 is very close to the density of 36MP on a D800.

raist3d

Do you have any information about FF? People say it should be released this year too!! :talk028:
No info on the FF. What I would love though, is Pentax to stay at 16MP for the K-5 successor, but I am afraid that's not happening.

- Raist

raist3d

You're presumably right Ricardo, but look at Nikon they've got a FF 36mp sensor that seems to be highly regarded.
It is a workflow clog :)

It's feasable so why not a 24mp APS-C sensor ?
Oh well, only time will tell.

Kind regards.
Because it is a workflow clog! But let me give you more reasons:

- For the type of photography I do, I don't need more than 12-16 MP. What exactly does 24 MP buy me? Nothing. Zero. Nada. I don't enlarge to 32'' x 42'' or whatever. A wedding? Weddings are quite fine at 16 MP.

Street life? Same thing.

- It is a workflow clog- given the previous point=- that I really don't need them. The computer power required to edit a 24MP file does not grow linearly from 16MP. More memory, more time transferring memory card to hardisk, notable longer times editing/converting form RAW etc.

Why? Why do I want this? I don't.

A few lenses will have to be re-worked/re-launched at a higher price to keep up with the sensor detail. Otherwise, what's the point?

I really think the new Nikon is highly regarded for many features not dealing with 36 MP and those who regard the 36MP as some kind of photographic epiphany = from what I have seen, are people obsessed with shooting brick walls, cats on a couch with flash and a lens flare, etc.

Once in a while I see someone with a real need- the landscape photographer (the one with the real decent landscape photographs, not the one saying they need the new Nikon to really do what they always wanted).

Now, I am being selfish when I say all this because I am talking from the point of view of my needs, but I can say right now the vast majority of people out there want 24 MP over 16 MP simply because "24 is the bigger number and bigger is better."

I sure don't.

- Raist

raist3d

Me neither, just look at Pentax' roadmap for 2012-2013: only DA lenses.
But one can always dream ...

Kind regards.
That doesn't change anything. Why would Pentax reveal a full frame new lens line up when the camera is unannounced? That doesn't make one bit of sense.

- Raist

raist3d

The existence of DA lenses is a real stumbling block for a potential FF Pentax; my 12–24 and 16–45 would have to be replaced with entirely new lenses which don’t exist, 18–36 and 24–63 or so. Maybe they would push the longer lens up to 24–70. ;)

Don’t see it happening …
Pentax has FA lenses, and if they are launching such system, you can bet on a few confidentially sealed for now new FF lenses.

I am not saying they will launch one but I don't see the limitation you are seeing on that end.

- Raist

mediumcool

Start of Winter.
Peach tree with the last leaves.

Pentax K-5 with adapted Mamiya 110mm f2.8, extension tube.
1/1600 f2.8.

Knorp

Start of Winter.
Peach tree with the last leaves.

Pentax K-5 with adapted Mamiya 110mm f2.8, extension tube.
1/1600 f2.8.
Love the complementary colours here and the simplicity of the composition.

Well you may enter winter down-under, here it's about autumn all the way: chilly, windy, rainy ... :loco:

All the best.