The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Cambo Products

m21apsh

Dear Doug,

is WRS-5000 going to have additional 5mm shift each way? 50mm total shift and 50mm total rise and fall?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No. 5mm of additional lateral shift.

I suppose with a large L-bracket or letting the camera flop over on a tripod head would let you use that as rise/fall.

Note though that all three RS bodies (1200, 1250, and 5000) have 25mm of image-rise (by dropping the back and keeping the lens stationary) and 15mm of image-fall (by raising the back and keeping the lens stationary).

Now interestingly it looks to me like the two accessory port-holes Cambo has on the RS1200/1250 and RC400 have the ability to accept a tripod-mount block. That would imply you could flip the RS1200/1250 (and maybe the 5000) upside-down to use the 25mm in the image-fall direction (e.g. to shoot a deep canyon)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Damn these are nice upgrades for sure. I love the little compact and you can get some movements with it. That is a great addition .

Nice job Cambo. The 1250 is like the AE model pretty much. Glad they took at least some of those features from the AE and put it in other models the bigger knobs are certainly a welcome addition to the line.

Doug find out shipping data on each and estimated prices. Members would appreciate that.

One of the best Photokinia announcements so far. I'm impressed

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm happy with the WRS AE (no buyer's remorse here), but that RC-400... VERY tempting....

Guy Mancuso

Yes the AE is just gorgeous no question and one should not have any buyers remorse on it. Sellers remorse YES. LOL

The compact is very cool and sorry little TC but you just got beat up to a pulp . This thing moves. LOL

gerald.d

Don't see how the RC400 competes with the TC. You're not comparing like with like.

Shouldn't the comparison be with the STC?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The STC does seem like a more direct comparison.

Though the specs on the RC400 are small and light enough that I'd put the TC, STC, and RC400 all in the same league with the new Arca Swiss Factum sitting at least in the same ballpark.

Clearly this is an EXCELLENT Photokina for anyone looking for a compact wide-angle body with movements.

edit: I'm a bit surprised but the the updated specs on the Arca the Factum is not just in the same ballpark but directly comparable in size/weight.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Actually in a way now it is the STC . Kind of scary this thing will not be vey expensive in my mind. I think the original Compact was 1200 dollars. BTW I did own the Alpa TC back when and loved that little thing but it was limited. This is cool if you need to shift or do rise and fall and only one or the other. It adds flexibility which the old compact did nothing. Might also be a very cheap way to get into tech cams on a budget

gerald.d

The STC does seem like a more direct comparison.

Though the specs on the RC400 are small and light enough that I'd put the TC, STC, and RC400 all in the same league with the new Arca Swiss Factum sitting at least in the same ballpark.

Clearly this is an EXCELLENT Photokina for anyone looking for a compact wide-angle body with movements.
Can you share the dimensions and weight of the RC400? It certainly looks a lot bigger than the TC in that photo, but it could be the lens mount deceiving things.

gazwas

Once apon a time Arca and Alpa were considered equals with Cambo rightly or wrongly considered the less regarded texh camera manufacturer. However with these new updates, I would say all are now on par..... a difficult decision for any new buyer.

Alpa's anouncement was ok, Arca was really interesting but Cambo cleared the park. Good times for tech users!

Guy Mancuso

Once apon a time Arca and Alpa were considered equals with Cambo rightly or wrongly considered the less regarded texh camera manufacturer. However with these new updates, I would say all are now on par..... a difficult decision for any new buyer.

Alpa's anouncement was ok, Arca was really interesting but Cambo cleared the park. Good times for tech users!
Maybe Cambo will get the respect they deserve. I owned it and loved the AE Model. I helped a lot of people buy into Cambo as well.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Can you share the dimensions and weight of the RC400? It certainly looks a lot bigger than the TC in that photo, but it could be the lens mount deceiving things.
Cambo RC400:
Size: 120 x 145mm (W x H) excl. handgrips and tripod mount
Weight: 500 grams (excl. lens, excl.handgrip, excl. tripod mount)
Movement: +/- 20mm (total of 40mm)
Tilt: built-in to most lenses. Rodenstock: Rodenstock: 28mm+, Schneider: 43mm+.

Alpa STC (from Alpa.ch):
Size: 140 x 146 mm (body only)
Weight: 580 grams (body only)
Movement: +/- 18mm (total of 36mm)
Tilt: available with separate adapter + SB lenses. Rodenstock: 32mm+, Schneider: 60mm+.

Arca Factum
Size: 135 x 140 mm (body only)
Weight: 640 grams ("factum" body + Variofinder + Adapter + TripodMount)
Movement: +/- 15mm (total of 30mm)
Tilt: built-in to body. Available on every lens.

So on spec the Cambo is 20mm less wide, basically the same height, and 80 grams less than the Alpa while offering 2mm more movement in each direction (4mm more of total movement).

But as we all know spec sheets only ever tell part of the story. Both systems have optional handles, measure their weights without the adapter plate, have different lens mounts and viewfinders that have different weights, sizes, and layouts. Moreover Cambo's lens panel can contain a Tilt-Shift mechanism where Alpa uses a separate TS adapter in between the lens and body.

But clearly both cameras are in the same league: light, compact tech cameras of high quality with one direction of movement and compatibility with the lens panels of their respective bigger brothers.

Likely the weight/size of the two is close enough in practice (with back/adapter/lens/accessories mounted) that prospective clients will choose based on other factors like ergonomics of the grip, balance in the hand, ease of using the shift, range of movement, initial cost, cost of accessories/lenses, and the other bodies in their respective systems (since there is a great deal of intra-system compatibility).

If size/weight is important you'd want to get the size/weight of the system with all the bits that you personally plan on using. We'd be happy to arrange that for anyone looking at a Cambo.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Be nice to compare the new Arca in this mix. Most likely these three represent the smallest packages with some movements. We never had these kinds of smaller tech cam options in all three before. Great stuff

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'll see if I can get the size/weight of the Arca to compare.

One hard-to-compare element for Arca vs. anyone else is that the tilt and focus are built into the body, so the body is inherently heavier but the lens is inherently lighter. Will it be net lighter or net heavier - not clear.

Anders_HK

If you have any questions we have a meeting with Cambo and would be glad to get direct answers for you.
Doug,

What is weight of WRS-5000 ?

It seems else a WRS-400 with an extra 5mm sticth would have been very ideal for panoramic stitching for 645 sensors and a low weight of camera to carry on hikes. Mere 20mm is not making most of 645 sensors, wich seem a shame since 645 sensors can be assumed to become the future norm for physical size of sensors, Any chance Cambo would consider adding extra 5mm shift to WRS-400???

Prices WRS-5000 vs WRS-400?

What is material of fabrication, duralumin (air craft grade aluminum) or regular aluminum?

What tolerance of fabrication, and what warranty of tolerance of camera system, including plane of shifting mechanisms?

Any roller bearings used for sliding at shift, or what specific rail mechanism?

Also, with Alpa STC one can very quick move from leftmost shift to rightmost. How about on Cambos in comparison?

Importantly compared to Alpa, is there a provision from Cambo to shim the back for perfecting depth of focus for the individual back?

Lastly, it seems these need threaded hole for attaching arca swiss type plates without need for the tripod block. Can Canbo please provide? Also, seems WRS-400 shift wheel is made for left-handed use??

Appreciate if you can get the replies from Cambo. Thanks!

Best regards,
Anders

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
W-RC400 looks like a great addition. Forgo the handles and just put a tripod mount on both axis and you've got one heck of a compact technical camera system. :thumbs: