The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm X-100 testimonies surfacing

ggibson

Looks like great little camera. Love the look/controls. They've used quality materials and chose to include some more esoteric features like the switch between optical/EVF, aperture ring, shutter dial, EV dial... things craved by camera enthusiasts. I expect it will have a small, but loving following. The price will be a barrier for most.

I noticed it has a built-in ND filter. That's a pretty cool addition for video and using f2 outdoors.

bowlachili

Thanks for the link--I am really excited about the X100, so much so that I may actually pre-order.

I am tired of the negative comments in various internet fora regarding the fixed lens and the higher price. The link is a refreshing and welcome change.

jonoslack

I am tired of the negative comments in various internet fora regarding the fixed lens and the higher price. The link is a refreshing and welcome change.
Me too - not sure that I want one, but it's an excellent, interesting and creditable camera - hooray!

TechIV

Ya, I'm with all of you. Really on the fence on pre-ordering it.

Haven't cared for m43... results have too limited dynamic range and poor high iso. Sony's have fast AF but I don't like the limited lens selection and hate the UI.

That leaves me with the X100 and the Ricoh GXR. I cannot find a GXR anywhere to try out (if someone knows of a place in Atlanta or Charlotte, please let me know). The x100 is about the same price as the GXR + 1 A12 module + evf... so about the same, but no interchangeable lenses. I love the Ricoh rendering, but I'm worried I've been spoiled with d300/d700 AF.

Last, I hate to wait on rumors--but we still keep hearing about the Nikon mirrorless. I have a 2 week honeymoon to Europe at the end of this summer (I'd prefer to not bring a d700 and f2.8 glass).

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Ya, I'm with all of you. Really on the fence on pre-ordering it.

Haven't cared for m43... results have too limited dynamic range and poor high iso. Sony's have fast AF but I don't like the limited lens selection and hate the UI.

That leaves me with the X100 and the Ricoh GXR. I cannot find a GXR anywhere to try out (if someone knows of a place in Atlanta or Charlotte, please let me know). The x100 is about the same price as the GXR + 1 A12 module + evf... so about the same, but no interchangeable lenses. I love the Ricoh rendering, but I'm worried I've been spoiled with d300/d700 AF.

Last, I hate to wait on rumors--but we still keep hearing about the Nikon mirrorless. I have a 2 week honeymoon to Europe at the end of this summer (I'd prefer to not bring a d700 and f2.8 glass).
With Ricoh's recent announcement of an M-mount module, I think this becomes a no-brainer

Keith

tom in mpls

With Ricoh's recent announcement of an M-mount module, I think this becomes a no-brainer
I assume the "no-brainer" option is the Ricoh M. Perhaps true for those comfortable with manual focus. I love M lenses but find I do much better with AF.

bowlachili

Keith
I'm with Tom, but for slightly different reasons. Having interchangeable lenses, while nice, is not a priority in this kind of camera. On the M Leicas I've used, I only really needed a 35mm focal length or its film equivalent. I'll break out the Nikons for longer lenses. Back in the '80's, I recall many PJ's carrying both M's and SLR's--M's for short/wide work, and SLR's for 85mm+. Sorry, :OT:

Also, the Ricoh body/EVF/Module cost does not include lenses. If I attach a 28 Elmarit, that's $2K+ for the combo. If I go with a 24 Lux or 28 cron lens, that's Junior's first year at (community) college! Jr. better be flipping burgers at 11! Granted, they are different leagues of lenses (not going into that debate), but if one is getting the M mount, you might as well go for broke (literally).

If I really want to use Leica M lenses, I might as well get a used M8 instead of the Ricoh and use RF focusing, which I find faster and less hassle than Liveview manual focusing, at least for me. But of course, that brings on a whole other set of issues....

J

jorgeAD

Guess if I:

(1) had a box full of Leica M glass (my last Leica was an M3... in College!)

(2) didnt mind manual focus (them there eyes just arent what they used to be, yet I am just not ready to give upo photography and take up still life drawing a la Cartier-Bresson)

(3) dont mind shooting exclusively with an electronic viewfinder (in very low light my otherwise lovely Ricoh GRD2 shows nothing zilch NADA in the LCD and I have to point the camera with AF Assist light)...

... then a Ricoh GXR would certainly be a no-brainer !

Gosh how I miss real viewfinders and stay-put controls in pocketable cameras (even coat pocketable ones)... :loco:

And how about standard ISO 6400, 8 RAW bursts and being able to review the shot without removing the eye from the OVF ?

Lots of new info (after even more marketing hype) on the X-100 in this new brochure:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/di..._x100/pdf/index/finepix_x100_catalogue_01.pdf

Last edited:

Terry

If I really want to use Leica M lenses, I might as well get a used M8 instead of the Ricoh and use RF focusing, which I find faster and less hassle than Liveview manual focusing, at least for me. But of course, that brings on a whole other set of issues....

Ahh but I could see a lot of people using the Voigtlanders with the that module. Good lenses at reasonable prices.

TechIV

I love manual focusing with rangefinders and older cameras designed for it....ahhh what I wouldn't give for an F3HP viewfinder.... but I'm with Tom, I like autofocus in this kind of camera.

M9 with a 35 lux and 90 cron would be my ideal...Alas, I'm a grad student and I don't the money for leica glass. :(

Terry, thank you. I will look into the lending program!

GetDPI really is the BEST photo forum on the web.

Terry

Just seemed really crisp to me for an f2.8 at ISo 6400 image. ISO 6400 a lot of times starts to lose sharpness.

Did you doubt that I would be on the list?
I really do like to try out new technology...and support companies that innovate. The one thing that does worry me is the wonky awful UI of the old F30 P&S era and I saw from one of the menus that they haven't changed their vocabulary from using words like photometry

from the blog at this site:
http://www.brandonremler.com/

Godfrey

Just seemed really crisp to me for an f2.8 at ISo 6400 image. ISO 6400 a lot of times starts to lose sharpness.

Did you doubt that I would be on the list?
Not for an instant ... :) ... !

... The one thing that does worry me is the wonky awful UI of the old F30 P&S era and I saw from one of the menus that they haven't changed their vocabulary from using words like photometry ...
Well, at least with this camera I suspect that once it is set up the way I want there's little real need to ever go back into the menu system other than to re-format the storage card. Set the camera up at its defaults, turn on raw capture, and shoot away. Who cares what photometry it's set for? Maybe you have to go in to change ISO now and then, hopefully that's not too confusing to do.

J

jorgeAD

Robert Catto X100 Hands-on

"Very little lag in any form, by my standards. Apart from the battery dying, of course! I wasn’t really pushing it, but at no stage (shooting RAW + .jpg to a Sandisk Extreme III) did I feel like I jammed up the buffer and slowed the camera down, or was waiting for focus, or mashing the shutter and wishing it would fire. I would rate the camera as very responsive, and very consistently responsive." :thumbs:

For full text:

http://robertcatto.tumblr.com/tagged/Photography