The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji Finepix X100 Show Report

tom in mpls

Robert, do you know if the frame lines do indeed disappear briefly when the shutter is half pressed? Or has this been eliminated in the production camera?

jonoslack

Me want.

btw have you seen all the lunatic X100 bashing at dpreview? Seems to happen too often at that forum.
Hi Tom
I'm proud to say that I haven't read any of it . . . life is so much simpler that way, and 12 years on internet forums has told me where to find a fight (or not).

I think it's the most delicious thing . . . . . but, truth be told, as the show report says, it is just a fixed focal length point and shoot with some pretty buttons and a great viewfinder . . . and it is only 12mp. it seems to me to be like a digital version of an Olympus trip (and none the worse for that) . . . if that's what you want. It'll be interesting to see whether it produces better images than a NEX5.

all the best

P.S. I want too :)

Last edited:
Hi Tom
I'm proud to say that I haven't read any of it . . . life is so much simpler that way, and 12 years on internet forums has told me where to find a fight (or not).

I think it's the most delicious thing . . . . . but, truth be told, as the show report says, it is just a fixed focal length point and shoot with some pretty buttons and a great viewfinder . . . and it is only 12mp. it seems to me to be like a digital version of an Olympus trip (and none the worse for that) . . . if that's what you want. It'll be interesting to see whether it produces better images than a NEX5.

all the best

P.S. I want too :)
I watched some of those DPReview threads in horror and amazement. One of them was like watching two 12 year-olds on the playground arguing about whose dad made more money. Seriously stupid.

Unfortunately I couldn't control myself and had to jump in on another thread but in retrospect there is really no reason to post over there...

I'm not sure if the Trip is a good comparison or even a point and shoot for that matter. The Trip has no user selectable exposure controls (aperture or shutter speed) and neither do most point and shoots (the real good ones have Aperture Priority)

In my mind, with the X100 we are basically getting the control experience of a Contax G1/G2 (similar size, optical viewfinder with exposure data, full manual controls on the camera body/lens and auto focus) except without the interchangeable lenses.

To me, the experience in capturing an image is in the camera control, not in the lens selection. If you shot with a Contax G2 fitted with only the 35mm f/2 lens, then the X100 would be a very, very close descendant.

tom in mpls

...it is just a fixed focal length point and shoot with some pretty buttons and a great viewfinder...
Jono, I reserve the term P&S for small sensor/enormous DOF cams. Certainly one may disagree with my limited definition. I might modify your statement to say, "it's a fixed focal length large sensor camera with some pretty buttons and a really great viewfinder". Another point to argue over is the significance of aesthetic design, but my wife, a former commercial art director, saw the pics of the X100 and was blown away.

Godfrey

... I'm not sure if the Trip is a good comparison or even a point and shoot for that matter. The Trip has no user selectable exposure controls (aperture or shutter speed) and neither do most point and shoots (the real good ones have Aperture Priority)

In my mind, with the X100 we are basically getting the control experience of a Contax G1/G2 (similar size, optical viewfinder with exposure data, full manual controls on the camera body/lens and auto focus) except without the interchangeable lenses.

To me, the experience in capturing an image is in the camera control, not in the lens selection. If you shot with a Contax G2 fitted with only the 35mm f/2 lens, then the X100 would be a very, very close descendant.
I've completely ignored and disregarded all the DPR silliness on the X100 ... and most of the same on the Olympus E-5 too .. Waste of time and energy.

I agree with the analogy ... The Olympus Trip 35 (I have one right here) was an economy camera with an economy lens and minimal user override capabilities. The X100 is a premium quality camera with a premium lens, 100% user control, and all the flexibility that implies. That the lens is fixed, that it's "only" 12 Mpixel ... I know a lot of Leica M owners who've been been shooting with "only" a Summicron-M 35mm f/2 lens for thirty years. Not every photographer needs a system camera, and 12Mpixel is more than enough for anything I do with photography, assuming it's a good sensor and a good lens.

I'm quite inclined to the X100, but not yet ready to commit. I know I don't really want another system camera ... I'm very happy with my present DSLR kit and don't want to get into another "gotta have this lens, and that lens, and that other lens" etc.

I've been waiting for the digital equivalent of my Rollei 35S for years now, this looks like it. :)

Jono, I reserve the term P&S for small sensor/enormous DOF cams. Certainly one may disagree with my limited definition. I might modify your statement to say, "it's a fixed focal length large sensor camera with some pretty buttons and a really great viewfinder". Another point to argue over is the significance of aesthetic design, but my wife, a former commercial art director, saw the pics of the X100 and was blown away.
The traditional definition (pre-digital) was definitely "minimal to no user input". About the only thing the photographer controlled was what speed film they put in the camera and the composition.

I'd say the X100 is a far cry from that model. Sure you can put it in full auto mode (just like any modern camera) but what fun is that? :)

I've been waiting for the digital equivalent of my Rollei 35S for years now, this looks like it. :)
Godfry - If only they made it that small!

I'm really looking forward to the day we see a digital version of those fixed focal length compact and sub-compact film cameras with optical viewfinders such as the Rollei and the more automated Aperture Priority point and shoots like the Contax T line, Ricoh GR and the slightly bigger Minilux. Hell, Olympus could have really hit it out of the park and brought back the XA instead of the direction they took with the XZ-1.

I keep telling myself someday someone will stick a FF sensor in a camera that size and have the nerve to make it fixed focal length with an OVF. But I fear the X100 might be the closest we see to that dream...

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my present DSLR kit and don't want to get into another "gotta have this lens, and that lens, and that other lens" etc.

You sound like me every time I feel an episode of GAS coming on. Unfortunately it is a chronic condition.

Let us pray.
I have to say that when the X100 was announced I felt like my prayers had been answered, well 90% of them. We still need to get the size down.

The reason I'm so in love with Fuji at the moment is that they actually did it when all the other manufacturers were going in a different direction. Look at the NEX, great innovative kit but about as far from traditional control as you can get. And now the GF2, another move towards non-traditional control.

Funny how I love all things modern but don't mess with my cameras...

Godfrey

Godfry - If only they made it that small!

I'm really looking forward to the day we see a digital version of those fixed focal length compact and sub-compact film cameras with optical viewfinders such as the Rollei and the more automated Aperture Priority point and shoots like the Contax T line, Ricoh GR and the slightly bigger Minilux. Hell, Olympus could have really hit it out of the park and brought back the XA instead of the direction they took with the XZ-1.

I keep telling myself someday someone will stick a FF sensor in a camera that size and have the nerve to make it fixed focal length with an OVF. But I fear the X100 might be the closest we see to that dream...
Actually, I'm happy that it isn't quite that small. It looks to be about the same size as the Oly Trip 35 ... yeah, that again ... which turns out to be an eminently good size for ergonomics in use. The Rollei 35S, although I love it, is a bit small to be the best for handling. I meant that it did what the Rollei 35 did ... provide a pro-quality image maker in a compact form factor for when I don't want to carry anything more bulky or versatile.

m3photo

Re: Leica M + Epson RD

I know a lot of Leica M owners who've been been shooting with "only" a Summicron-M 35mm f/2 lens for thirty years. Not every photographer needs a system camera, and 12Mpixel is more than enough for anything I do with photography, assuming it's a good sensor and a good lens.
Talking of which ...

I'd love to see the comparison between an M9 with said lens and this X100. If all the advertising bumf on its optics is anything to go by, it might be a cheaper upgrade from an M6+35 Summicron for example.

What I'm really surprised at is the fact that Epson never came back with an up-to-date RD, given the market feel for going "retro". The two things I loved about their version was the folding-back screen so it didn't get in the way and that lovely "wind-on" lever.
So, here's the dream - RD-1 as is except for an excellent APS-C sensor like say from the Pentax K5.

jonoslack

Well - I stand corrected with respect to 'point and shoot' - certainly, thinking about it my rollei 35 is a much better comparison (apart from size), or, indeed, one of the contax compacts.
It looks like a joyous thing, both ergonomically and from a tactile point of view (it doesn't need an art director to be blown away by the design!). I couldn't resist putting my name down for one at my dealer.
Godfrey, you're right, 12mp ought to be enough, it's just that sometimes it's really nice to be able to do an a1 print. As for M9 comparisons - it may be much better from an ergonomic point of view - might be.
However I don't honestly think that a 12mp sensor with an AA filter and a relatively cheap lens (good though it may be) is likely to compete very well from an image point of view with a summicron, an 18mp CCD and no AA filter (even if the high ISO is that much better).

raist3d

Well to me it boils down (on that M9 comparison) to two things:
- price of M9
- is the X100 "good enough"

Obviously the M9 + lens costing so much more, it better be better. But I think the X100 falls in the "good enough" and maybe the view finder in some ways is indeed better.

Having 12 MP vs 18 MP is only an issue depending on what you are doing. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Fuji APS-C sensor of this camera does at least 1 stop better than the Kodak in the M9 and while you can put a 0.95 F Leica lens on the M9, that's $10k USD. For a lot of photographer out there if you can't make a compelling great shot with the X100 (assuming the focal length is what you want) that says light years more about the photographer than the camera.

I think Fuji got the right idea. I wish they had a little system of primes for it. That will probably have to wait for later. I do wish it was smaller but seems small enough.

- Raist

jonoslack

Well to me it boils down (on that M9 comparison) to two things:
- price of M9
- is the X100 "good enough"

Obviously the M9 + lens costing so much more, it better be better. But I think the X100 falls in the "good enough" and maybe the view finder in some ways is indeed better.
Hi Ricardo
I hope you're well.
Good points all . . . . but I'm very much aware that the "good enough" argument is one I use when I WANT something, but it's not the one I use to KEEP something :ROTFL:

Actually - for me I long since decided (like 2.1/2 years ago) that 24mp was 'good enough' . . . with 18mp and no AA filter doing about the same job. I'm not sure that I want to go back to thinking that 12mp is okay - it's not so much for big pictures (although I do like to print at A2+), more so that one does at least have some leeway for cropping.

all the best

Well, I'd call it less a point and shoot, and more an updated Konica Hexar AF. Hopefully the lens will be up to Hexar standards, and they'll follow up with an interchangeable lens version as Konica did with the Hexar RF.

Personally I'm shopping for a travel camera -- something small, portable, and good enough for reasonable enlargements later. I'm kind of torn -- I really like what this camera seems to be, but something like a G2 with a 20/1.7 is cheaper and can also produce very good results. I really like composing in a rangefinder though, and I tend to be more creative visually with limited equipment. Not to say that a rangefinder with a fixed 35mm lens is particularly limiting, but odds are I'll get more compelling results with that than with a camera with a zoom. And I doubt I would carry the G2 on vacation with only one prime lens, when the kit lens is available...

I think 12 megapixels will be suitable for my purposes. My DSLR is still a Fuji S5Pro so direct experience is limited, but I downloaded a D300s raw file from DPReview and had it printed at 20x30 after minimal processing and found the results acceptable. If the X100 is as good then there won't be a problem at all.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is color. I've been very impressed with the colors out of my Fuji S2 and S5 cameras, and the biases I've seen in the sample X100 images suggest that this camera will be working from the same palette. Apparently the sample images were shot in "Provia" mode so apparently we'll have some flexibility in how JPEGs are rendered -- same as with the S5 Pro.

It looks quite compelling. I can't wait to see more images from the camera, hopefully shot by someone other than the guy who shot the demo images Fuji put on their web site.

Godfrey

... I couldn't resist putting my name down for one at my dealer. ...
Magpie Syndrome wins again! ]'-)

... 12mp ought to be enough, it's just that sometimes it's really nice to be able to do an a1 print. As for M9 comparisons - it may be much better from an ergonomic point of view - might be.
However I don't honestly think that a 12mp sensor with an AA filter and a relatively cheap lens (good though it may be) is likely to compete very well from an image point of view with a summicron, an 18mp CCD and no AA filter (even if the high ISO is that much better).
All I have to do is go to an exhibition of John Isaac's wildlife photos, printed to 20x26", made with an Olympus E-1 (5 Mpixel, one of the heaviest antialiasing filters in the business) to know this is silliness.

BTW: Why would you say that the X100's lens is a "cheap lens"? I bet the lens is half the manufacturing cost of the camera. That's not cheap, unless you only consider expensive those things that carry a red dot price level.