The GetDPI Photography Forums  

Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Forum > Fuji

Site Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2011   #1

Finally a 24mm equiv on X100

I posted this over at FM but it might be of interest to anyone who's interested in using a conversion lens on their X100.

I'm getting very acceptable IQ, far better than any shots I've seen posted so far

100% crops included towards the bottom of the thread.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1068972
Millsart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011   #2

Re: Finally a 24mm equiv on X100

Interesting thanks!!
Old 29th December 2011   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsart View Post
I posted this over at FM but it might be of interest to anyone who's interested in using a conversion lens on their X100.

I'm getting very acceptable IQ, far better than any shots I've seen posted so far

100% crops included towards the bottom of the thread.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1068972
I know the idea of a screw-on focal length reducer/expander is blasphemy to many, some of them do work well, and not for the specific cameras they were intended to be used on. I've got a Sony 1.5x unit I picked up for about $20 in a discount bin and it works well on m4/3rds zoom I have, adding just a little edge blurring. It's more compact than carrying a longer prime or longer zoom. Having said that, some of them are terrible, they are unsharp, add colour error and vignette like crazy.
RichA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA View Post
I know the idea of a screw-on focal length reducer/expander is blasphemy to many, some of them do work well, and not for the specific cameras they were intended to be used on. I've got a Sony 1.5x unit I picked up for about $20 in a discount bin and it works well on m4/3rds zoom I have, adding just a little edge blurring. It's more compact than carrying a longer prime or longer zoom. Having said that, some of them are terrible, they are unsharp, add colour error and vignette like crazy.
Agreed Rich, its very odd what does and doesn't work. I tried 3 different Raynox ones, which "should" of worked well as they were highly reviewed and cost about $150 each, "top of the line" so to speak and yet horrible results so you can't really judge these things by price.

I still need to try to find a tele extender that could work (or at least work "bad" with a unique way of rendering that I like lol) and I'd be pretty set.

New model sounds cool, but seems they are offering a 28 and 50mm equiv's for it, at least off the bat. I really don't enjoy those focal lengths and really like 35mm.

I'd like a 21/35/90mm 3 lens set in a perfect world. Not sure if I'd want to spend $1500+ on a new body and then whatever the lenses cost just to have 28 and 50mm. Could very well end up spending thousands of dollars and enjoying my x100 more still, with its issues, just on account of the focal length I "see" better with

Cheers
Millsart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012   #5
Super Duper

Front element wide and tele converters can work well if they match the prime lens optics properly. What you've found is that the one you're using matches to the Fuji lens with a bit more space than originally provided ... that's a lucky happenstance, and worth taking advantage of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsart View Post
I'd like a 21/35/90mm 3 lens set in a perfect world.
This is just about exactly what I find most useful with the Ricoh GXR.

GXR body - $350
VF-2 EVF - $220
A12 Camera Mount - $650
Skopar 21/4 - $420
Nokton 40/1.4 - $530
M-Rokkor 90/4 - $350
spare battery, cable remote, tripod adapter, memory cards - $250
ACAM 7100 bag to fit all of it - $190

All up kit: about $3000 depending on what of that you have to start with. I expect the Fuji X whatever interchangeable lens model will run about the same.