The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by akclimber

1. A

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them) More auroras with the A7R2 and Samy/Rok 24 f/1.4. These were made Tuesday night/Wednesday morning just as both the clouds and latest aurora storm were moving in. I was lucky to get out that night. We missed the rest of the aurora show :-(...
  2. A

Fun With Sony Cameras

A7R2 Auroras More A7R2 auroras. First three shot with a Nikon Ais 50 f/1.2 (2nd and 3rd are panos). Last 2 shot with Samy/Rok 24 f/1.4 and are panos. Cheers! _DSC1586 web by Joe, on Flickr _dsc1671 web by Joe, on Flickr _dsc1592 web by Joe, on Flickr _dsc1543 web by Joe, on Flickr...
  3. A

Strange double image a7rII w Leica APO 50

I think you're simply seeing star trails. You were shooting with a high pixel density camera using a fairly long lens (50mm) with a fairly long exposure time (10 seconds) at a latitude of 45.8 degrees. Generally speaking, at that latitude, to be safe, your maximum exposure time to avoid star...
  4. A

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them) A few handheld, walk around test images from the A7R2. Landscape was made with a Sony 28 f/2. The anchor and porthole images were made with a Sony 55 f/1.8. The porthole image was intentionally given a glow/dreamy look. Cheers! _DSC0619...
  5. A

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them) A series of aurora stitches with an A7RII + Rokinon 24 f/1.4 @ 1.4 (Fotodiox pro adapter), 8 or so frames per stitch, ISO 2500-3200, 4-6 second or so exposures, LENR off, converted in ACR because I was too tired to deal with a still new to...
  6. A

Ideal camera bag for the A7RII kit

Another vote for ThinkTanks Retrospective bags. I use a 5 for my A6000 kit and a 7 for my A72/A7Rii.
  7. A

First visual example of RAW compression that illustrates the problem, A7R2

I've seen it once and I wasn't even looking for it. It was with an image from my A7II (I also own an A7RII). The artifacts were along the top of a gray rocky mountain ridge with blue sky background. The image wasn't extensively pushed or pulled - maybe a stop (if that) of digital ND filter...
  8. A

First visual example of RAW compression that illustrates the problem, A7R2

This. I've done what I can by sending Sony an email expressing my strong desire for lossless RAW ala Nikon and explaining why. I was surprised to receive a reply in very short order that correctly summarized my points (I'm sure they've rec'd similar emails...) and promised to forward my...
  9. A

A7II and A7rII L bracket

If folks in the US are looking for a USA made L bracket that's well made, well fitting and less expensive than RRS, etc. you might want to try http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/ I bought an L bracket for my A7II from Chris and it fits my A7R2 just fine. I plan on ordering another. Cheers! (and...
  10. A

A7rII with Canon AF database reference.

Just tried my year or so old Commlite EF-NEX adapter + just rec'd A7R2 with the following lenses/results. Used AF-S center point medium. 1) 500 f/4 IS MK I - Inconsistent focusing. Works slowly with very high contrast subjects and not at all with other subjects. Electronic controls work. Did...
  11. A

Fun with A6000

A couple from last night: dusk settles over the Mendenhall Glacier. Both images made using the smooth reflection app to get a long exposure effect. For the wide, purple-hued images, the camera shot and stacked 100 frames over a few minutes. This camera is just plain fun (and impressive)...
  12. A

"Capturing Infrared"

Great thread! I'm a B&W IR fan from way back. Here are some seascape results from this weekend while I was out looking for whales. Canon 5D2 converted by Lifepixel with deep IR filter (830nm) + 17 TSE. Converted with ACR, processed in PS with Nik and OnOne plugins. _MG_5904 web by Joe...
  13. A

Fun with A6000

Some more Juneau wanderings with the A6000 + 10-18 f/4 & 16-70 f/4. I'm really liking this little & light, go anywhere combo. _DSC1764 bww eb by Joe McCabe, on Flickr _DSC1885 web bw by Joe McCabe, on Flickr _DSC1122 web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr _DSC1626 web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr...
  14. A

Fun with A6000

A few A6000 images from my wanders. Shot with either the 16-70 F/4 or 10-18 f/4. The "painterly/multi-ex" images were shot handheld using the whispy water app just to see what would happen :) _DSC1070 web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr _DSC1152 web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr _DSC0181 web by Joe...
  15. A

Fun with A6000

Eduardo, Very nice color IR! I shoot a lot of B&W IR with Canon cams converted with deep IR filters, not color, but I find both ACR and RawTherapee can create nice B&W images. When using ACR, I open the RAW, white balance on a cloud or something appropriate (or just do it by eye to start)...