The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by BarbaraArmstrong

1. B

Sigma sd Quattro Images

Scho/Carl, thanks for the reply! Those are some nice IR images. I do prefer the higher wavelength cutoff. I take it you have found it requires a longer exposure than, say, something at 650? I have very much enjoyed getting some infrared captures, and ensuing lovely prints, but haven't done...
  2. B

Sigma sd Quattro Images

Earlier commentary I've seen on the SD Quattro has expressed skepticism that an infrared capture is possible, by removing the thin internal dust cover/ir filter over the sensor, as one could do with the SD1 and earlier Sigma interchangeable lens cameras. But each of these commentaries has...
  3. B

"Capturing Infrared"

Graham, the color image "sings." It draws one's eyes to the wedding party, while yet leaving the trees as the major player. Absolutely lovely! (And I'm normally a b&w IR person.) --Barbara
  4. B

"Capturing Infrared"

Thor, what an image!! The creative side of your brain obviously operates very well. I enjoy viewing the moon, so this had particular appeal for me. I also want to thank you for your comments on focus; this is the aspect of IR that I most need to figure out. --Barbara
  5. B

"Capturing Infrared"

Rafael, thanks for your response; it got me thinking, and I would like to understand this. I began to experiment with IR two years ago, with a Sigma SD-14 with the IR-cut filter removed (easy to do yourself on this camera). With the visible-light-blocking filter attached outside the lens...
  6. B

"Capturing Infrared"

I'm not surprised that it is a clean green (e.g., grass) that should be used for white balance as, at least at the higher cut-off levels (those not yielding the false color effects), it is green subjects that render as white in black & white conversions. I imagine that this has something to do...
  7. B

"Capturing Infrared"

Thank you, Don and Rafael, for your additional posts. This is certainly making me think about how I might proceed with further IR shooting. I love the conversions to b&w where I have nice contrast to start with. Summertime shooting has always been somewhat dismaying as broad swaths of green...
  8. B

"Capturing Infrared"

I'm sorry not to see more responses here as I would look forward to more information on experiences with IR digital capture. Thanks, Don, for your front-page piece, and I hope there will be more. I know there is a focus difference between visible light and IR. What I don't know, and would...
  9. B

Photo book library - missing

It's a large volume; I just don't know how comprehensive it is. I have a copy. Ask away if you have any questions before deciding whether to buy. --Barbara
  10. B

Photo book library - missing

The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in New York published a large hard-bound volume of a large body of his photographic work in 2010, in conjunction with their exhibition that spring/summer.
  11. B

DPx sharpening?

I'll assume you're talking about the Merrill version of this camera (as I don't have experience with its predecessor), and the simple answer is YES. The more complicated/complete answer is that, compared with the files from other cameras I have used, these files require much less or even no...
  12. B

Sigma DP series

For UHDR - Welcome to the club! -- both GetDPI and the subset of DPMerrill owners/users. I think most of us with the DPxMerrills go around with extra batteries. At least they are relatively small, too, just like the cameras. When I look at your workflow, I notice that you are doing two jpg...
  13. B

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin, BTW, did the police return your gear, so that now you have TWO of these lovelies? --Barbara
  14. B

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin, I just got back to your post about the theft from your London flat. I am impressed and amazed at the police work. And I hope you are drawing some solace from the knowledge that the culprit isn't still out there doing this to others (and using your equipment!). I will add that I am...
  15. B

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

I have both the DP2M and the DP3M and would replace both in a heartbeat. Is there something else that would give me the same or better image quality (in good light) short of medium format? The D800/D800E might squeak past (reviews would suggest), but I didn't like the handling at all. I'm not...