The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Braeside

1. Braeside

RIP Michael

I just found out about this terrible news, I had hoped that Michael had made a full recovery from his illness and would be with us for many more years. He was a man that I admired immensely as he showed both business sense as well as generosity. His photography was very much to my liking and...
  2. Braeside

X-Pro2

I swore I didn't need another camera ever again, however I am severely tempted to upgrade my X-Pro 1 which is still my favourite camera despite also having the X-T1. I should really dispose of all of my M mount lenses and my GXR M-mount as I am not using them at all. Better they are used than...
  3. Braeside

Fuji XT-1 - legendary FW update

Lovely Christmas present from Fujifilm for the X-T1. Electronic shutter is useful even given its limitations. Lots of new things can be accessed from the Fn buttons and the Q Menu is customisable now too. Only thing I miss from the Olympus now is the live bulb mode. Oh and I forgot, I would...
  4. Braeside

Uwe Steinmuller has passed away

What a shock to read this news today. R.I.P. Uwe
  5. Braeside

Ricoh GXR M mount IR conversion? - Anyone done it?

John, thanks for that. If I ever see a spare M mount module at a good price again I may consider sending it for conversion, but I don't want to convert my existing one just now. Thanks again!
  6. Braeside

Apple confirms 'no new development' for Aperture

Gee thanks Apple.
  7. Braeside

Using M Lenses on Fujifilm X Cameras

Thanks for that, I agree I was also disappointed with the corners with the Zeiss 25/2.8 on the Fuji. It actually performs much better on the Ricoh GXR M mount. I gave up using third party lenses on the Fuji and kept the Ricoh GXR for my M lenses, and use only native Fuji lenses on the X-Pro 1...
  8. Braeside

Green Fringe... Lens or Sensor

Good news Chris. Wonder if the OOC JPG would show it or not? I keep meaning to test whether the X-Pro 1 differs from the X-T1 in this respect, and whether the X-T1 Lens Modulation Optimiser option makes a difference. I process raw in Aperture, though I do have older versions of LR and C1 around too.
  9. Braeside

Hi Chris, I have seen this on fast lenses by other manufacturers too, it generally shows on high contrast out of focus edges. Unfortunately no lens design is perfect and aberrations sometimes show up. In general I find the Fujinon lenses very nice.
  10. Braeside

Hi Chris, I think it looks like longitudinal CA. Mentioned here
  11. Braeside

18mm thoughts/comments

Doug, I also would like a 16, as the equivalents of 24/35/50 would be so nice. When I first got the X-Pro1, there was only the 18,35 and 60 available and I felt 18 was not wide enough, the 14 was a godsend. I had serious doubts about getting the 18-55 zoom, but I am glad I did, as it is so good...
  12. Braeside

18mm thoughts/comments

Hi again Doug, I still have my 18mm, but rarely use it now I have the 14 and the 18-55, as I feel they are both quite a bit better optically. I would use the 14 and crop rather than use the 18 in most cases if I had the choice, and the zoom is also better in my opinion, in fact it is a...
  13. Braeside

18mm thoughts/comments

You would be much better going for the 23mm, it is superb. I do have the 18mm but prefer the kit 18-55mm at 18mm. Stopped down the 18mm is not too bad in the corners, but it has a high degree of optical distortion that is corrected in software, hence the softer corners.
  14. Braeside

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Ashwin, is there any lens you don't have?:-) I agree the Fujinon 55-200mm zoom is very sharp, I have no hesitation using it wide open and the OIS is super too. Actually on the X-T1 with the focus check magnification on and continuous IS it makes a great substitute for a stabilised monocular...
  15. Braeside

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Beautiful silvery tones in this one, quite exquisite.