The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Brian S

1. B

SLR Magic Press Release:

The lens appeared to have technical problems, none of which were explained by the company. Manufacturing an RF coupled lens requires more precision to hold the RF coupling across the focus range. Problems that can cause problems as described by various users include wobble in the helical, and...
  2. B

Photographing your Bokeh

The "Canikon" 50/1.5, made from the front section of a Canon 50/1.5 and the rear triplet of a Nikkor 5cm F1.4. Focal length set by using the original shim for the lens, and moving the rear section in for the focus to agree with the RF from 1m to infinity. The Nikkor fixture was a smaller...
  3. B

Available fund for M9 or 50mm lux ASPH ?

The M9 improves on the high-ISO of the M8 by about 1.5 stops. No problem using the M9 at ISO 2500, so the F2 lens will give better low-light performance on the M9 as the F1.4 lens does on the M8. Prices of lightly used M9s have fallen, and the new M-E is already available.
  4. B

Photographing your Bokeh

another with the Hybrid Nikkor-O/Summarit, moved the rear section out 3mm, wide-open at F1.2. Focal length is closer to 55mm... Field curvature is a bit high, but the good side- Lots of DOF at F1.2!
  5. B

Nikon F2-AS- Worth trying out?

The weak point is some of the electronics in the meter: after putting in new batteries, adjust the aperture/shutter-speed combination and look for smooth transitions in the LED's. If the electronics are going, the +/- will flash back and forth. Other than that: this camera meters down to EV -2...
  6. B

Fun with M & R Lenses on anything other then a Leica

It's Halloween and the dead Lenses are rising from the Parts Bin. Hybrid Nikkor-O 55mm F1.2 missing rear section + rear Section of a Leica Summarit 5cm F1.5. Lots of Dremel Work... On the Olympus EP-2. The Nikkor-O was made for O-Scopes, has a long 39mm screw mount. Using it as the focus...
  7. B

Fun w/Digital M Images

Hacked Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, on the Leica M9. $40 Ebay lens with no rear element, replaced with a 100mm plano-convex lens, held in with a rear retaining ring from a Jupiter-3. Rear shim and main shim set, RF coupled across the entire focus range. This one took a while.
  8. B

Photographing your Bokeh

And now for the Halloween Mad Experiment. More Dead lenses arise from the parts bin. Nikkor-O 55mm F1.2 O-Scope lens, missing rear elements. With the rear Section of a Leica 5cm F1.5 Summarit that was missing the front element, and much of the mechanism. Dremel required to hack the aperture...
  9. B

Photographing your Bokeh

The hacked Nikkor 10.5cm f2.5, "Reformulated". Final calibration, good close-up to infinity RF coupled. Nikkor 105 Hacked, at F2.5 , on Flickr Nikkor 105 Hacked, at F2.5 , on Flickr Nikkor 105 Hacked, at F2.5, Infinity , on Flickr Used a 100mm Plano-Convex single element lens to...
  10. B

removing ruined coating on old lenses?

It looks fine to me. I picked up a $15 Canon 135/3.5 in Leica mount, later black LTM lens. The Canada Balsam had failed, the middle group was opaque. Separated the elements, used 99% Isopropyl to clean the residue, and used index matching oil from a microscope to replace the balsam. Basically...
  11. B

Is this a m4 black paint?

Black and Chrome bodies ran side-by-side. Unless someone registered it, and it is in a database- who knows. A Chrome M4- about $1000.
  12. B

Is this a m4 black paint?

If you are paying the cost of a Chrome M4 Plus $500 or so, the same as a paint job- you cannot go wrong. The paint looks too clean to be original. So unless someone bought it and never used it, I would guess it was a repaint. It is not in fitted case, so nothing to protect the lacquer. If it...
  13. B

EXTERNAL LINK: Owner Review of SLRMagic 50/0.95 posted in dpreview "Leica Talk"

Re: EXTERNAL LINK: Owner Review of SLRMagic 50/0.95 posted in dpreview "Leica Talk" This is utter nonsense, and it is impossible to have a technical discussion about this lens with someone that resorts to shouts of bigotry every time someone asks to provide real answers. As far as lenses: My...
  14. B

Re: EXTERNAL LINK: Owner Review of SLRMagic 50/0.95 posted in dpreview "Leica Talk" I believe you should invite the OP of the DPREVIEW thread to send the lens back for repair or replacement. Do it publicly for all to read. I also believe it would serve the company to open up more about...
  15. B

Re: EXTERNAL LINK: Owner Review of SLRMagic 50/0.95 posted in dpreview "Leica Talk" I don't care about what other manufacturers do or don't do, the question is about the SLRMagic lens. Based on the users issues with the lens in the thread that is linked to in post number 1, I would like to...