The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by CharlesK

1. CharlesK

Ideal camera bag for the A7RII kit

With overseas travel and my Leica gear having left for greener pastures, I find my Domke bags don't offer enough protection. For my last month trip to Spain, I opted for the "Manfrotto Bug 203 Pro Light Camera BackPack". The bag provided superb protection and was very ergonomic while on the...
  2. CharlesK

New lens lineup for the A7rII

It will of course depend on your intent and style... WATE ++++/4 Batist 25 ++++ FE 35/1.4 ++++ FE 55/1.8 ++++ Loxia 50 ++++ ZA 135 f/1.8 ++++ Superb lens. Only received it yesterday, but truly a surprise package. It will still be a few months wait in Australia for the...
  3. CharlesK

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them) Great shots everyone :) Shots from this afternoon A7rII and Batis 25mm. This is an amazing combo, and a lot to learn still...
  4. CharlesK

Which post processing software ....

I have both C1 Pro 8 and Lr6/CS6. For ease of cataloging and usage I prefer Lr6. It achieves 98% of what I need. For more detailed and finer PP I quickly export in PS6 and back into Lr once I am complete. The plugins of Nik suite are excellent and for portrait work I use Imagenomic...
  5. CharlesK

Voigtlander 15mm Version III on a Sony A7II test

Thanks Guy :) Great set of test results. I still have my WATE, and I was thinking of getting the 16-35, but no need now that the Batis 25 is arriving soon. The 16 - 21mm is nicely covered, and I am looking forward to see how the WATE performs with the new A7rII.
  6. CharlesK

Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

When we are comparing background bokeh, I think it is very hard to compare different FL's. There are not many 35mm lenses that render sharp wide open, and have perfect soft layering bokeh. The older Leica 35 Lux/Cron pre Asph do have beautiful bokeh, but it is a compromise. The 50mm lenses...
  7. CharlesK

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them) Thank you K-H :) The WATE was excellent before the modification on the A7r, but there are noticeable improvements now with the modification. I have somewhat culled my Leica lens collection leaving the WATE, 28 Elmarit IV, 50 Cron IV, 50...
  8. CharlesK

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them) Shots from Elephant rock, Currumbin beach. The second last day before the official start of winter here in Australia. The temperature was 23 degC, and there was high cloud that softened the lighting. Our lighting is generally so harsh :)...
  9. CharlesK

Thoughts about manual focusing

Erik, I think it will depend on your needs, whether it is portraits/people or mainly landscapes. If it is people, I feel the Batis 85/1.8 will be superb. I love MF but having AF for portraits that is accurate allows you freedom to compose quicker. The FE 35/1.4 also has focus by wire, but...
  10. CharlesK

90FE Macro Images

I have sold my M 90 Cron AA, and will keep my 75 Lux, in anticipation of the Batis 85, and I if I need the 90mm Macro, I would opt for this lens. The IQ is sharp yet smooth, and having independent image stabilization is a real bonus particularly if you do not wish to upgrade the A7 body for a...
  11. CharlesK

Hi Guy, The Loxia 35/2 is an excellent lens. Ergonomics I really love, as the MF is activated with a touch of the focus with all the Exif data intact. The IQ is very Zeiss and works brilliantly on all of the A7s, A7r Mod and A7II. Great lens and a must have if you have converted to Sony A7's...
  12. CharlesK

I have the Loxia 35/50, FE 35/1.4 and FE 28/2. The FE 28 is a very nice lens, but I would not compare it to the FE 35/1.4 in terms of "overall" IQ. Sharpness evaluation is an excellent comparison starting point, but the "feel" of the FE 35/1.4 is very unique.
  13. CharlesK

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them) Thank you:) My wife appreciates the kind wishes! I have tried the FE 35/1.4 with my A7r Mod, and it performs extremely well. In the end it comes down to functionality and ease of use, and I now love the A7II and FE 35/1.4. For low...
  14. CharlesK

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them) Barry thank you very much for the kind words :) I agree the FE 35/1.4 is a superb lens. Yes it is larger than I would like, but it is now one of the first lenses I take to go. Shots yesterday from my wife's birthday. A7II and FE 35/1.4
  15. CharlesK

28mm F2 : first sample pictures

I have now had the FE 28 for 2 days, and it is a really good lens. The bokeh transition for a 28mm is excellent, and yet it is sharp but yet still has character. As mentioned there is distortion, but this is very easily corrected. For street portraits and environmental shooting this lens is...