The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by dchew

1. dchew

Phase one body and back suggestion for products/portraits

I'm going to essentially repeat what Ben just said above. ^^^ Once you get to know the system you use, you will reach the point of it "disappearing" in your workflow. From there, the system you use will not be apparent to your clients. Personally, I would struggle doing product and architecture...
  2. dchew

Help from anyone with an Alpa-Helvetar version of the 43xl - ANSWERED

Thanks Paul, I’m not worried about vignetting. I’ve tried the step-up ring with and without the adapter and there is no vignetting at least to 100mm image circle. I wouldn’t shift this lens more than that anyway. Dave
  3. dchew

Remounting lens in Copal

I don't remember if this was discussed in another thread or not, but Copal 0 shutters have an 0.5mm thread pitch. It's easy to calculate the shim thickness required once you figure out how many degrees of rotation you need for the best image. The formula is just 0.5mm x fraction of full...
  4. dchew

Help from anyone with an Alpa-Helvetar version of the 43xl - ANSWERED

I purchased a non-Helvetar version of the 43xl in an Alpa mount. I'm wondering if someone with the Helvetar version could do a measurement for me: I need the total distance of the lens, from base of the Alpa mount to the end of the front threads with the lens helical rotated to infinity. Mine...
  5. dchew

Technical Camera Images

Thank you, Victor. They were about 10k in, so a total of about 11 miles both ways. The first one in Chile a little more, the one in Argentina a little less. Snow made the first one a little dicey coming back down. One of the three of us had no hiking poles, so we shared; it was turning to ice as...
  6. dchew

Technical Camera Images

Another great day was in El Chalten, hiking Sendero Fitz Roy. The colors that morning were from another world. I'm sure this image will evolve; it is one of those cases where I'm struggling to figure how far to tone down the colors since what we experienced looks beyond neon. The sky hues were...
  7. dchew

Technical Camera Images

I do the same thing. We lose a little close focus ability by extending the helical beyond infinity, but I'm happy with that trade off. Dave
  8. dchew

A macro lens for the view camera

I think @jng uses the HB-Z 120 on his Cambo / IQ4150. But I don’t know how much of the image circle he uses. Dave
  9. dchew

Printer Epson SC-P800, ICC profiles for Epson paper, I doesn’t find

See if you can find them here: ICC Profiles for Epson SC-800 Dave
  10. dchew

Technical Camera Images

This was the most enjoyable day of the trip. Three of us hiked up to Lago Torres in a decent snowstorm. 12" fell by the time we reached the lake. I was lucky to see the whole area snow covered. The image I posted in the "show us your tech cam" thread with the black-billed shrike-tyrant is from...
  11. dchew

Behind the scenes

The trip to Patagonia has been wonderful. Good light and good people. I highly recommend Visionary Wild / Justin Black. His trips are well-managed and top shelf. Here I am in my failed struggle to stay dry and to keep the tripod from buzzing in the wind. Classic shot from Lago Pehoe in classic...
  12. dchew

Advice needed. Tabletop with Digaron 180S or 138mm Float

Nico, @cunim had a similar near-field application. I sent him a raw file from about 1 meter. I will look for the files. But I warn you, he bought it after seeing the file. Dave
  13. dchew

Show us your Tech Cam

Patagonia © Michael Clark
  14. dchew

Why did you buy your latest camera?

I placed an order for the SL3. I have an M11M with a few lenses and an a7rv. Although the Sony does fine, it doesn’t resonate with me and just doesn’t feel right. I will slowly build lenses, starting with the 24-90, 90-280 and 75. I will need something wide to go with my 28 m-lens. Not sure if...