The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Duff photographer

1. D

Thoughtful pics of fauna...

Ought to add my bird photo's... From a while back. Nesting Black-headed Gull in amongst the rushes. Ye olde Nikon D300s and 600mm f4 VR. Cropped. Cheers, Duff.
  2. D

Atmospheric Phenomena

Okay... ...then it really got going. Strong enough to cast shadows. This event was classed as a G5 (extreme) by NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center, the strongest since 2003. I was just lucky enough to be watching and photographing it when it hit. Must have been quite the something further...
  3. D

Atmospheric Phenomena

Howdo all, We don't have a thread for photographs of stuff that happens above our heads. So here it is. This thread is intended to be a depository for all things that happen in our atmosphere - thunder storms, meteors, sprites, tornadoes, cloud formations, etc. The only thing not allowed, if I...
  4. D

Ageing photographers and the weight. Simplicate and add lightness.

...or kids. Small enough not to rebel. Cheers, Duff.
  5. D

A macro lens for the view camera

Bu**er! I used his site a lot when I was sorting out my micro photography set-up, so I owe him thanks. I hope his site stays up somehow, so that the work he did doesn't fade away. Thanks, Duff.
  6. D

Inkjet vs c-type prints in 2024

One of the principal reasons of going (colour) c-print was its marketability. From my past experience, the 'knowing' paying public view such a print as a true 'photographic' print, or (as you put it Paul) a museum grade print. However, over the last few weeks of investigation, I'm increasingly...
  7. D

What F-Stop range do you use

Depends on the application. In other words, all, except f32. Cheers, Duff
  8. D

Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

Another lens or rather series of lenses are the Yashica lenses for the 35mm Yashica/Contax mount. All from the SSB's to the ML's (I've only tried the primes, so can't comment on the zooms). Said to be a cheaper and lesser alternative to Zeiss, but I find they can keep up with their bigger...
  9. D

Absolutely. Thankfully, I only need to fret about my last remaining stock of Provia 120 rollfilm and 4x5 sheets, if indeed I actually use it up, which I ought to. I've never had issues with dedicated photo labs, only the high street places in the early days when I was finding my feet. Of...
  10. D

Yup, Grieger are closest. The nearest lab to me is 100km away so sending by post is the only option. Cheers, Duff.
  11. D

Thanks Paul and Anyone. Points noted. It's the final print process that needs to be reassessed at present, all other aspects have been optimised for a while now. I'll likely move over to Grieger, at least for E6 film processing as and when. Regards prints, it would seem a good idea to go to...
  12. D

Thanks Paul for your lengthy and considered thoughts - very much appreciated. Yes, a digital c print is what I'm looking for (applied by laser - Polielettronica, Lambda, etc.). Yes, and yes I agree, but galleries are not the easiest to access, at least where I am. I also wonder how much they...
  13. D

Howdo, Inkjet prints have come along way. Their quality is regarded as better than a c-type dye-based print in virtually all aspects except price, certain areas of colour gamut, and possibly tonality (due to dye being used rather than tiny splotches of pigment), not that I'm sure you'd notice...
  14. D

Photographing in visually complex places.

Huh! You posted a pic just as I was about to reply, so well timed! First of all, I should say that each (good) photographer has their own style to some extent. This means to say that the rules of photography aren't always followed. So, with that proviso out of the way... With regard to the...
  15. D

Can you explain what software is used to get this image

https://www.barbaramacferrinphotography.com/ Cheers, Duff.