The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by EsbenHR

1. E

IQ3-100 with C1 10 Diffraction "correction".

You can set (or overrride) the aperture in the movement tab of the lens tool. The reason it is there is because of, well, technical cameras. You can play with it, but don't expect good results if you lie to your software. It is a nice piece of software, why would you lie to it :-)
  2. E

weird "default" crop with Capture One 7.1.6, OM-D E-M5 and Zuiko 2.0/12mm

Re: weird "default" crop with Capture One 7.1.6, OM-D E-M5 and Zuiko 2.0/12mm Well, I don't know what it means to "Disable the default crop", but I think I understand what you want to do. While this is not a perfect solution, you could try the following: 1) Select the "Generic" lens and take...
  3. E

weird "default" crop with Capture One 7.1.6, OM-D E-M5 and Zuiko 2.0/12mm

Re: weird "default" crop with Capture One 7.1.6, OM-D E-M5 and Zuiko 2.0/12mm That depends on your definition of "necessary". The current rule in Capture One is the following: 1) Leave the center of the image with as close as possible to the original (including scaling). 2) Leave the size of...
  4. E

C1 lens profiles

Not a dumb question at all. With good glass, profiles are not usually a big deal. Of course, some uses are more picky than others (architecture in particular, but the *really* picky photographers will often use a technical camera anyway). The most essential correction, IMO, can be applied to...
  5. E

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

As others said, we need to be able to read the full orientation of the camera which we can only do for IQ backs. There is another requirement: the keystone tool in Capture One simulates the geometry obtained with a technical camera. This means that keystoning depends on focal length. Example...
  6. E

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Going beyond 16-bit is bad engineering in current designs. The backs that do have honest-to-God 16-bit of useful data (make no mistake: they exist) all have relatively large pixels. This has to do with physics. The so-called "full well capacity" is a fancy way to say "how many electrons can be...
  7. E

Fourier-transform to get lines perpendicular to the perspective parallel lines

I would not recommend a Fourier transform for this. This is doubly true if the lines you try to detect are not strictly parallel, and it sound like you try to find a vanishing point. It sounds like a Radon- or Hough-transform would be a better match in this case. It can be made reasonably fast...
  8. E

David Grover / Phase One

Sorry, I did not express myself clearly. I just wondered whether it would make sense to put resources into making the back produce reasonable JPEGs if we know they will be inferior to a "real" RAW converter. Obviously it would be fine for previews. However, the same resources could also be used...
  9. E

David Grover / Phase One

Your confidence is unfounded... Note that DSLRs achieve their blindingly fast RAW-to-JPEG processing using dedicated ASICs. Those of us whose day job is to look at images at 1600% still don't think that most out-of-camera JPEGs can match a good RAW processor. Do we really want to develop...
  10. E

David Grover / Phase One

Ahh, my experience shows that will not really be possible ;-) I already said as much in meat space, but David is not nearly as old as my mental vision had put him. It is great to actually meet people, and I think we have a lot of things to discuss. For those in the forums, that means that...
  11. E

Technical Camera Images

I think this is a completely valid approach when shooting at large apertures (not really applicable in this shot I guess). Use tilt to get the plane of focus exactly where you want it and then use keystone correction in software to reintroduce a believable perspective. You could use focus...
  12. E

Sensor Size/Image Quality

This is correct - all commercial MF sensors are created on a single substrate and it is very expensive. Big modern chips (CPUs in desktops for example) are manufactured using similar techniques BTW. This seems "obviously correct", but there are some unfriendly dragons dwelling on the pastures...
  13. E

70 Mpix on CMOS announced

Sure. I was only trying to argue that 70MPix full-frame and 33MPix iPhone cameras have some rather fundamental hurdles to get around. But hey, what do I know. Someone is going to turn a cell-phone into a 100MPix imaging device with multiple lenses and use interferometry to break the diffraction...
  14. E

The whole shebang is submerged in liquid, not just the lens. The speed of light is slower in the liquid so the wavelengths are shortened proportionally. You can pull a few more tricks as well, so the diffraction limit is not quite as hard a barrier as we are sometimes led to believe. The good...
  15. E

Hey, no problem. It takes a lot more than that to piss me off, but I guess a bit of sarcasm can easily get lost in writing.