The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Francois_A

1. F

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1 Monterey Bay, California
  2. F

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1 The 55-200mm is very sharp! The following was taken at 200mm, maximum aperture and minimum focusing distance. This one taken through the foliage:
  3. F

EOS M

I got it from Costco 3 weeks ago for $Can 400, which included the speedlite 90X, the 18-55mm and a 16 GB card. Costco will accept returns within 3 months of purchase... I used it in conjunction with a Fuji X-E1 on a recent trip to California. I really like the touchscreen interface; much faster...
  4. F

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1 New to the X-E1, which I purchased a month ago for travel. Here are some taken with the 18-55mm zoom.
  5. Dscf0121

Dscf0121

6. F

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Beautiful image Justin! Love the composition, the rich tones and amazing details.
  7. F

Is it worth shooting in B+W?

Scanning an enlargement (or a contact print) made in the traditional darkroom is far less demanding from the scanner than scanning the negative. Even a cheap scanner would do the job. I have made 8x10 prints on an Epson 3800 from scanning 8x10 enlargements made from 4x5 neg; they are almost...
  8. F

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Hi Cindy, Just like you, I also have the 65mm, and decided to get the 43mm, since I thought the 50mm is just too close in focal length to the 65mm. They are almost as close as a 35mm would be to a 28mm in the 35mm format. Just my 2 cents! Francois
  9. F

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Beautiful image Jeremy! There is something magical about those 8x10 images that set them apart from other formats, and this is quite obvious even on the web. A contact print must be quite something to see! How do you process and scan your negatives?
  10. F

Betterlight vs Canon 5D, an informal comparison

Yes Rob, please post your experiments; I am sure others would be interested too. For the time being, I will stick to LF neg (color and B&W) when things are not suitable for the scanning back. After all, if I carry the LF camera with lenses, the Betterlight and the laptop, I may as well add a...
  11. F

I focus on the ground glass with a loupe, and fine tune it using "live" focus mode from the software. The nice thing is that a bar graph and numerical value shows how accurate the focus is. One can also switch the sound on, which increases in pitch as the focus improves. Note that the scanning...
  12. F

Rob, I would be interested in seeing your comparison. Initially, I got the scanning back because it could be used on the view camera using my current LF lenses; I wasn't expecting such a quantum leap in resolution and dynamic range. Have you compared MFDB with your scanning back?
  13. F

Hi Kevin, I've agonized a long time before purchasing the scanning back (in LN condition on eBay at half-price). I wish I had access to some comparisons with the 5D then; I would have made the purchase much earlier! The cost of camera in large format is very reasonable (I used an $800 Chamonix)...
  14. F

Ben, there is a world of difference imo in terms of dynamic range, tonality and resolution! I love my 5D nonetheless :) Maybe the differences are more obvious if I put both crops side by side on the same image, (please click once on the thumbnail, and then click on the resulting image to view...