The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Kirk Candlish

1. K

The Sony A7II

And many of us lurkers sigh relief as the good news arrives and this thread no longer treads in the realm of dpr... All the key Minolta staff were asked to stay, the majority did. I have a very good friend that works directly with this division and he tells me little has changed in the...
  2. K

Lighting at Photokina 2014

The number one selling modifier to newbies and wannabes is the BD. Seldom is it the PF BD, more typically a Chinese knock-off but the BD is pretty hard to fail with and it's an icon of what a 'Pro' shoots with. So yeah, it's in there for the cool factor IMO.
  3. K

Sigma DP3M

The Ricoh batteries are identical, just branded differently and work perfectly. Don't forget the card speed will also affect your downloading images off of it.
  4. K

Profoto D1/B1 glass domes

This is exactly my experience. On a PF softlight there's little difference largely due to the opaque counter reflector in the center of the modifier. On a Mola Demi (approximately the same size modifier) the dome makes a significant difference with either the Opal or PAD. The Mola is at least...
  5. K

New Mola looks like Elinchrom Maxi

It's been a year since the Rayo was introduced and there's not a single image on the Mola blog using it. I'm not sure what they had in mind but it has not been a popular modifier. This is in fact the first image I've seen using it.
  6. K

Profoto Compacts repair

I would highly recommend Silvinos. You can also find several positive reviews here.
  7. K

Sigma DP2M versus RX-1

The DP2M is known to focus forward.
  8. K

DP1M regrets

Sigma DP1 Merrill diglloyd blog - Field Shooting the Sigma DP1 Merrill
  9. K

Fiilex LEDs for Studio Photography

Now we're talking. A Northlight is a sweet light in the studio. Perfectly even highlights or beautiful gradations by stepping the power on the heads. Makes me want to shoot 8X10 again. :)
  10. K

Fiilex LEDs for Studio Photography

Well the video is good for a laugh. ' I don't like to shoot with strobes in the studio because they're too powerful.' Ah yeah, right. We're all trying to shoot at f1.4 in the studio. :bugeyes:
  11. K

Beauty Dish: White or Silver?

It's not hard to find information on the internet. It is harder than just asking a question here. But with a little effort you'd be surprised what you can find.
  12. K

PRIOLITE: What do you think?

It'll never happen. The flagship B4 will see some evolution and the AcuteB will stay the same. The Batpack if changed to LI would be priced as ridiculously as the B4. Profoto won't undercut these products by offering D1s that need anything less than the Batpack. They've already missed the mark...
  13. K

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Since you're new to the board may I make a suggestion. Quoting a large post in order to compliment the work can be done without including all the images. It keeps the flow going instead of all of us having to scroll past those images to read your one sentence. Just a thought.
  14. K

Emergency: busted AcuteB head

You can try the head with no real risk to your AcuteB pack. If the tube is broken, or there is other damage, the head will probably just make a clicking sound and not fire. As robmac explained, any Acute head will work with the pack, just don't use the standard modeling light. If you're in...
  15. K

Profoto D1/Senso A4/Einstein 640

Kupo is the Chinese knock off of Mattews/Manfrotto/Avenger.