The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Kolor-Pikker

1. K

Opinions on Phase Schneider 55mm LS vs 45mm LS Lenses

From a practical standpoint, I think it’s about what sensor you’re putting behind it. If it’s a 1.3 crop like the 50mp CMOS chip, 45mm is a better pick as it’s closer to the traditional 35mm FoV on small format, while 55mm feels somewhat awkward to use - either too wide or not wide enough to...
  2. K

A MF camera that produces the "medium format look".

I think that, by definition, a medium format camera should produce the "medium format look" ... :clap: If you've used an f/1.4 lens on small format, you have a sharp zone of critical focus, and then it immediately goes out of focus on either side. This is most noticeable on people's noses...
  3. K

MF for Everyday Shooting?

I can imagine that shooting with a 'Blad or Phase One that weigh a figurative ton compared to most regular cameras would take some dedication to use hand-held in natural light, and a shutter speed of at least 3x your focal length. My 645Z I use pretty much use only hand-held outside the studio...
  4. K

The death of the piggy bank

Internal vs. external power is always going to be a trade-off in some way... a battery is rather big and heavy, so having one in the back doesn't do it much favors for size/weight/balance, and increases design complexity as more components have to be crammed together to make room. Just take a...
  5. K

Backup or alternate camera

Having crossed over from Canon to shooting a Pentax 645Z, I naturally kept the Canon 5D2 and a standard zoom for backup, but quite frankly, I haven't ever had the need to use it in a long time except once. I've since given the Canon over to a friend, and don't particularly miss it, I just want...
  6. K

Techart AF Adapter for Fuji-Canon

Not surprised about the 85LII, that lens was tested to cover a 40x40mm area when used on a digital back with an adapter, and I assume many telephoto lenses will be compatible as well. It's the non-TS wide-angles you have to watch out for, and lenses like the Canon 135L which have a baffle on the...
  7. K

best news of the day!! may be the year

I hope they go in and update their Raw engine process while they're at it, they're using the same one since 2012! I think 5 years would have been plenty of time to figure out new ways to decode Raw data.
  8. K

Moving from film to medium format digital... The big decision.

I'll chip in as well, seeing as I own a 645Z and have at least used some digital back cameras on a few occasions. In terms of robustness, pretty much nothing comes close to the Z, which you can shoot with in torrential rain if you have a sealed lens and it doesn't become hopelessly splattered...
  9. K

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Field in a Russian village where I took this weekend off. Pentax 645Z @ 55mm This image was a nightmare to work through, because due to my lack of a wide-angle, the only way I could have shot it was by doing a 24-shot composite - 4x2 panorama with 3-shot HDR, not fun on an aging iMac. Very...
  10. K

New camera profile making software

For what it's worth, I love your v1.0.4 profiles for the 645z and have it set by default for all my images. The Adobe one is too dark and muddled, while embedded is too saturated. However, the alternate version makes the shadows have a mottled green/magenta to them as though there is some part...
  11. K

All my Leica S lenses upgraded to new AF solution

Sounds amazing if Leica stepped up their game with regards to hardware reliability, this is what should be expected from a manufacturer of their caliber. You can't always expect, even the best of companies, to make flawless products right out of the gate. Have you tested the lenses to any...
  12. K

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Wow, Tim, you're really letting that Hassy rip. How many of these shots are hand-held? How slow can you shoot with that 30mm and still get a sharp result consistently?
  13. K

New Leica S this year?

Leica is working mainly with CMOSiS for their imaging chips, so looking at Sony's offerings isn't a clear indicator of where they'll go in terms of features. In any case, I'd primarily want to see Leica work on a few things to push the state of the art in medium format going forward: 1. IBIS -...
  14. K

Sony's new camera A9

Being someone with spatula hands, having an attachment like this would be essential I think. Would let you get a normal grip on the camera but without over-bulking it with a battery grip. Some people who had early handling of this camera already report their fingers bumping into some of the...
  15. K

Sony's new camera A9

For a long while, digital cameras were largely broken up into discreet components, sometimes made by different companies; the sensor, analog-to-digital converter, data buffer, processor, and other bits and bobs like the CFA which can also be customized by the client company. Sony revolutionized...