The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Mike M

1. M

Everyone's a f.... photographer

When everybody is a photographer, then nobody is a photographer.
  2. M

John Berger's Understanding a Photo

"It is more useful to categorize art by what has become it's social function." "Hence the crucial role of photography in ideological struggle. Hence the necessity of our understanding a weapon which we can use and which can be used against us." The words "useful" and "weapon" weren't...
  3. M

Thanks for the link
  4. M

Hi Geotrupede, I'm not exactly sure what the author is talking about because the paragraph is out of context. Is he trying to say something like "composition doesn't matter" or "composition doesn't contain information" for photography? That's the impression I'm getting but I haven't read the...
  5. M

Peter Lik 6.5 million $ Antelope canyon picture

Thanks for that link. I can definitely understand why that would make some photographers mad. I used to hate it in school when other photographers would steal my locations after I had scouted them. We have to understand that there is a difference between landscape photography and "landscape...
  6. M

Why a Mechanical Film Camera in a Digital Age?

...excerpt from "Photography, or the Writing of Light" by Jean Baudrillard "The idea is to resist noise, speech, rumors by mobilizing photography's silence; to resist movements, flows, and speed by using its immobility; to resist the explosion of communication and information by brandishing its...
  7. M

wide open look photos

Hi geotrupede, It's best to consider the relationship between figure and ground when considering issues about how to use fast lenses at wide open apertures. In perception psychology, the figure is what captures the viewer's attention. Meanwhile, the ground is what the viewer ignores. A classic...
  8. M

Ripe Camera, Kirk Tuck

Thanks Mat
  9. M

Ripe Camera, Kirk Tuck

I agree with Mat. 1) art = form 2) craft = function If there is one thing that vast internet conversation should have taught us all by now it's that not everybody gets into photography for the same reasons. The folks that are practical and OK with "good enough" are functional. They may be...
  10. M

Film "Feel Good" Rant

The last quote is a pretty good description of work that art directors create for corporate advertising. The funny thing about the word "hack" is that it isn't very popular with hacks themselves. For this reason, they often need to have it explained to them by others or by consulting dictionary...
  11. M

Film "Feel Good" Rant

Dave, your story is a really good example of a certain kind of shooter that most of us should already be familiar with or may actually be ourselves! As a content producer, I learned that shooting double the images meant making double the money. So, the choice to "spray and pray" was not a...
  12. M

Film "Feel Good" Rant

Do you really care if he chimps or not? All of your thoughts about face-to-face meetings and stuff is great. But that is a response to something other than the content of my post.
  13. M

Film "Feel Good" Rant

Yeah, who cares? I sure don't care what you do...and I haven't read any posts from anyone else that cares about what you do either. So, do whatever you want. Nobody cares. Really. Nobody cares.
  14. M

Film "Feel Good" Rant

To chimp or not to chimp? That is the question! My experience is that there are basically two main types of chimping. The first is based on "form" (technique) and the second is based on "content" (subject matter.) I don't believe that there is any way to avoid chimping when it comes to form...
  15. M

Film "Feel Good" Rant

I can totally relate. My experience is that shooting polaroids on productions in the film days was very similar to chimping in the digital era. Some of the most enlightening moments I had when first starting photography was as an assistant. When I was new and still impressed by productions...