The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by philip_pj

1. P

A7 & Loxia 35mm vs RX1/r

Tim, the RX1 series is an aristocrat's camera - Sony had Leica users fair in their sights. It predates the mass market a7 cameras by a year and in fact is the beta test bed for the later cameras. But it's funny - a7 users moan endlessly about AF speed, ergo etc. but RX1 users seem to understand...
  2. P

Dear Mr. Sony,

Pardon me for being a contrarian, albeit an open-minded one. People like me need to apologize these days for being skeptics on matters of interest to the community, and this one has been a doozy for so many individuals, a real cause celebre. So what is the lived experience so far, in evidence...
  3. P

zEIss: 5 more FF-E coming ...

The FE guessing games..so we know we have Loxia 21-35-50. And Batis 25-85. Of the five FE lenses through to the end of 2016 that Zeiss have committed to produce, it makes sense for the AF Batis side of things to be 35/2, 100/2 and 135mm (most likely f2.8, for still plenty of separation). The...
  4. P

Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences

Been waiting since July. I just got a reply from the SE Asia part of the Zeiss sales/marketing chain, very nicely mannered, telling me the usual things - 'sorry cannot do it' effectively. This was followed by a request to fill in a survey on how satisfied I am with the response, lol. Anyway, I...
  5. P

Is it crazy to buy a Rx-1 now (version 1)?

Like with the a7r, so many people fuss themselves out of the sheer image quality of the RX1, it seems to me. The day I bought one - around three years back - I put the EVF on it never to remove it, bought a bag that enabled the camera to stand upright inside, got a 49>37mm 'hood', Gariz case and...
  6. P

Mild Rant - What the $%&^ Does "Lens is Too Clinical" Mean?

A topic well worth discussing. I'll start with the observation by Zeiss that they aim for perfection and provide advice to cinematographers (their principal arena of development) to use 'flare kits' etc to obtain certain imperfections they may want to convey. -;) Especially on their amazing...
  7. P

Rx1r2

Kimio Maki (Sony's head of Digital Imaging) on the reason the RX1 (old and new) exists, and why mundane discussions re AF speed and buttons don't really matter, and you may as well compare it to MFD instead of Ps and Qs, even those made by Leica: "This is the second phase of the RX1 series and...
  8. P

Rx1r2

Bearing in mind it is for me a surreptitious use camera, one of the pleasures of the RX1 is the tilt EVF - you can appear to be fooling around with the camera, tourist style, while setting up the next shot. And subjects can still see your face. The little popup EVF looks pretty naff, and is not...
  9. P

Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences

You are all lucky, Batis lenses remain a dream for the future in Australia. Our dollar is dropping in value at about the same rate as the ETA stretches out, month at a time. Zeiss appear to be running our Reserve Bank. I feel like Yossarian building his tally of bombing missions in Catch 22...
  10. P

A7r vs. A7rII for low iso tripod work

An interesting one, for travel shooters. I think everyone is going closely over this question: 'what do you really get for YOUR work in making the change?' In pure image quality terms, less than might be made up in other ways. I feel this closeness is there in IQ at base ISO, as the generally...
  11. P

Zeiss Batis 25 versus Canon 24mm TSE ll lens

That bar chart is the lens with 12mm shift, Guy. It's very different shot straight on: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/603-canon24f35tse2 I'd say it's designed for shift at f8 or so. But these are very different classes of lens: 780 grams and 82mm filters, very large even on a DSLR, then...
  12. P

First visual example of RAW compression that illustrates the problem, A7R2

'Sony cameras feel like camera imitations, not the real thing' Leigh et al, it exists because some people wish the issue to become front and center of the collective reviewer response to a camera that really has to be contained in the marketplace. What is overlooked in all this 'look over...
  13. P

Sony A7RII/ Batis 25mm , Batis 85mm and Sony 35mm 1.4 System Tests

fantastic work, and expert commentary as always, thanks Guy. The Batis lenses will change everything, these images reinforce what the MTF was indicating, Zeiss really know how to make the trade offs. Suitably encouraged, they will now move on to give Sony users many more great lenses (at great...
  14. P

So, is it a keeper? (A7R II)

The words 'real world' crop up a bit in the above, and I think the more you dwell in that rather unusual place (for photo enthusiasts) the more the new camera suits you. The new technology is broad and deep, real world oriented and well applied in a finely balanced package that pretty much...
  15. P

Batis 25/f2 and 85/f1.8 on the A7R, first impressions

More Batis 25 images here, 91 of them to be exact, covers a lot of ground. Any wide that hangs at this level is a fine lens. ;-) https://www.flickr.com/photos/silver2silicon/sets/72157652664765263/with/19126399040/ [apoly-logies if posted above.]