The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by photoSmart42

1. P

Sigma sd Quattro H

Couldn't agree more. Sigma missed the point of going mirrorless entirely by keeping the SA mount. They could've released an SA adapter along with the camera, and opened up the possibilities of using other lenses, and perhaps making a new series of smaller lenses. Would have made this a much...
  2. P

GH-4 vs GH-3 for stills photography

Before you discount Olympus bodies, I can tell you I have large hands and I had the same concern. The E-M5 with the battery grip make for a nice, large camera body that fits me well.
  3. P

Adventures in anamorphic stills

Just re-sizing the original image in Photoshop or any other editor. You can choose to either flatten it by dividing the height in 2, or to widen it by multiplying the width by 2 (that's what I do). If you use another anamorphic lens that has a different anamorphic factor you'll want to do the...
  4. P

Backyard in the rain Backyard 2048 x 683
  5. P

DP Merrill color Landscapes

Ocean Beach pier in San Diego today during the rain storms we're having. DP2M. Ocean Beach Pier @ f2.8 2048 x 1152
  6. P

I've been wanting to experiment with anamorphic stills for a while. I lucked out and found an ISCO Ultra Star (blue) for $40. Here are some samples. The 45/1.8 is sharper because it's AF. The FD 35/2 shows some barreling and a bit of vignetting, but both of those can be removed in post...
  7. P

DP Merrill color Landscapes

Has anyone tried anamorphic lenses on their DP Merrill's? I'm assuming they would be unusable on the DP1M, and vignette heavily on the DP2M, but on the DP3M they might work well. Might give landscape shots that really wide FOV. I just bought an ISCO Ultra-Star for $40, so I'll try it out.
  8. P

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

My first photo with my new (to me) DP2M. Backyard Palm Tree @ f2.8 2048 x 1152
  9. P

Leica 180/2 vs. Nikon 200/2 VR

Leica has better contrast. Looks sharper to me.
  10. P

Nikon is up to no good!

I'd get one for my F5!
  11. P

Sony and Olympus making closer ties.

That would be terrible IMO. 40MP on a 4/3 sensor would mean large files with horrible diffraction. I'm happy the GH3 scales back the MP race and keep the reasonable resolution. Most people don't have the computing power to handle 40MP files.
  12. P

Fun with the Olympus OMD

_6080019_img by photosmart42, on Flickr
  13. P

What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

Love the OM-D. The IBIS, high speed flash sync, and weather-proofing have all come in very handy over my G1/GH1. Higher resolution also helps. Keeper!
  14. P

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Went to a new spot on the beach yesterday with my 12-60/2.8. Great lens! _6080003_img by photosmart42, on Flickr _6080015_img by photosmart42, on Flickr _6080018_img by photosmart42, on Flickr
  15. P

OM-D, or a used G(H)?

I'd stick with the G1 - it does plenty good for what you need. Images are cleaner than the GH1 with the banding, and OM-D would be overkill for your purposes. I have an OM-D, and I'm keeping my G1.