The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by RichA

1. RichA

Only reason I won't get an M1: the M5

I've looked at lots of examples and I believe the M5 has an edge in sharpness, resolution and contrast. Noise seems about the same. I like the M1 body, but they did something to the camera that changed the image look from the M5. The difference is small, but it reminded me a lot of the image...
  2. RichA

M, R, and LTM lenses on the Sony A7/A7R

Re: M and LTM lenses on the Sony A7/A7R Does the Sony (or other Sony's for that matter) do in-camera chromatic aberration correction, either with its own lenses or others like the Panasonics do? I realize this would only be done with JPEGs.
  3. RichA

Dream come true from Sigma?!

Better be "good" daylight as the Foveon colour starts to look weird past 200 ISO.
  4. RichA

What's a good upgrade to a Lumix G1

If you are looking for something at a lower price, the G5 makes a decent upgrade, since its sensor is better. Beyond that, any modern EVF m4/3rds will be a major upgrade.
  5. RichA

GH3... the one to get?

No in-body I.S. and the sensor will not match the E-5M's. However, the body looks like it will take and not show more hits than the E-5M and there is the video aspect.
  6. RichA

GH3... the one to get?

Its sensor is unlikely to be as good as the new Olympus E-5M sensor even if it's a step-up from the GH2 sensor.
  7. RichA

Bad news for anyone trying to avoid 75mm f1.8

Probably, but I haven't seen any direct comparisons.
  8. RichA

I wish the Koreans at Samyang would produce AF for their 85mm f/1.4. It's a pity having to pay 3x as much for the Olympus 75mm which is slower, just to obtain AF. Nikon's 85mm f/1.8 is more reasonable at about $500.00, but their 85mm f/1.4 is almost $2000.00.
  9. RichA

Wide angle adapter on micro 4/3 and NEX?

Most of these devices produce pretty awful edge definition and often add chromatic aberration. The best I've seen was a very pricey Sony add-on but not being designed for the lenses, it's a gamble.
  10. RichA

Micro 4/3 have teeny sensors - discuss

The only real jump is from APS to FF or larger. The only APS sensor that is better than the Olympus m4/3rds sensor is the one in the Fuji X-Pro1 and that has to do with design, not size. If Fuji releases a FF sensor, that'll be it for Nikon-Canon dominance in image quality.
  11. RichA

Lens hoods as extras on premium lenses aren't unknown. A cheap plastic hood for a kit lens tossed in is one thing, but a machined metal hood is another. Some of the hoods for the big, long teles from Canon and Nikon are accessories and cost hundreds of dollars.
  12. RichA

Canon EOS-M mirror-less camera

Kind of a weak offering Like a cross between Samsung's NX200 and an entry-level Olympus mirrorless. No EVF, apparently limited control features. However, at least they didn't hobble it with a tiny sensor like Nikon did and they gave it a metal body which is a nice touch. The higher-end models...
  13. RichA

LUMIX G5

Functionally, the G-series has been very good. Accessible controls, comfortable to hold, like mini-DSLR. A very utilitarian camera, one you don't have to feel uncomfortable holding or "fearful" that some grip mishap will hurt it, unlike the GF series. This seems like a good offering...
  14. RichA

Informal IBIS tests of E-5M using 12-50mm

Just some hand-held stuff. Olmpus OM-D E-M5 IBIS SETTINGS TEST photo - Richard Anderson photos at pbase.com Olympus OM-D E-5M IBIS test speed range photo - Richard Anderson photos at pbase.com
  15. RichA

Sony does micro 4/3

Depending on the kind of shooting you do and the lenses you now own, 1/2 again as many shots could be usable because of in-body I.S. That is what I found when I stopped using an E-510 and went to something without in-body I.S.