The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by simort

1. S

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

Now this is an unexpectedly interesting thread... I have been on the fence for weeks, trying to decide whether to upgrade my K7 to a first generation K5 + 18-135 (found a deal for €730 for the combo!) or go for a OM-D... and still haven't made up my mind... stick with the slightly unreliable AF...
  2. S

Some Fuji X-E1 impressions

Ricardo, being a Pentax user myself (K7) and considering a shift to Fuji, I am very much interested in your opinions on the X-E1. Could you share with us your impressions, especially as regards AF speed and accuracy in low light? Thanks a lot
  3. S

Fun with the Q

Some truly great shots in this thread! Makes me want to buy one, now that the prices are in the €200-something area...
  4. S

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Thanks for your reply Jono. In fact, that's what I'll probably do. The 14-150 performs very well considering its range - much better in my opinion than my Pentax-Tamron 18-250. You're probably right that a dedicated macro lens would be better. Cheers
  5. S

Fun with the Olympus OMD

This one is for Jonoslack: you seem to have both 12-50 and 14-150. I currently have the latter, but the former intrigues me for the macro capability, and despite overall negative reviews you can read on the web, the pictures coming out of it seem very good. How do the 2 zooms compare? Would you...
  6. S

Any former Pentax user?

Well, in the end I found a good bargain for a used E-PL2 on Ebay which is going to arrive in the next few days. I'm going to test it for a while to see if it suits me better than my Pentax, and then I will decide which system to keep (might as well keep both ;) )
  7. S

Looking for a quality short tele for a good price

What about Cosina 100 Macro? It's only f/3.5, but it's very good wide open and gets excellent when stopped down a bit. http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/cosina-100mm-f1-3-5-mc-makro.html http://www.photozone.de/pentax/368-cosina-af-100mm-f35-macro
  8. S

Any former Pentax user?

Many thanks to everybody for your replies. It seems like almost everybody agrees thata newer m4/3 bodies are much better at focusing than Pentax bodies. What is still not very clear to me is how they compare (especially the 12-megapixel sensor ones, like the EP-3 or older Panasonic bodies) with...
  9. S

Any former Pentax user?

HA! I think you nailed the biggest issue I have with Pentax. AF at very large apertures seems a hit or miss affair, especially in the newer models. Before the K-7 I have owned a K-r for about 6 months, before eventually selling it for MASSIVE AF back focusing issues in artificial light. The K-7...
  10. S

Any former Pentax user?

Hi everybody, this is my first post on the forum after spending some time lurking around. I currently own a Pentax K-7 with a fair selection of lenses, both zooms and primes, which is a fine setup (even too much sometimes) for my needs (photography is only a hobby, nothing more). I am even...