The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Stuart Richardson

1. S

Evelyn Hofer: view camera

I agree that 150mm is a good starting point, she is slightly on the wider side though...I would not be surprised if she were using a 135 either. It does look like a lot of her images are taken closer to wide open too, as they have more subject isolation than I would typically expect with a full...
  2. S

Irwin Puts Says Farewell to Leica?

It seems fitting that a discussion of Erwin Puts has transitioned into one about grammar. They seem to be in the same wheelhouse. By the way, that old English is getting hilariously close to Icelandic. I have a feeling if we keep going, I could get back into the conversation again. As far as I...
  3. S

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Here are a few color images I shot in September and October in my home away from home. Most are slide film, but the longer landscape is color neg. I developed them all myself at the studio, these were shot on a Mamiya 7, but I have been doing some 8x10 too, and 8x10 slides are incredible... I...
  4. S

New MF considerations when printing large

Whew, that looks interesting. Love the marketing speak though: "dramatically wider color gamut"...6% wider...I am curious whether it is even visible. I just got the P9000 in 2016, so I doubt I will make the switch right away, but the speed, some of the new features and the lack of ink swapping...
  5. S

Samy’s Lumix S Sale

It is possible, but that seems pretty unlikely to me. They just announced the S1H...if sales were so dire that they decided to shut down the entire line, I imagine the first thing they would do would be to cancel the release/announcement of any new cameras. I am not sure of the sales numbers...
  6. S

Leica 16-35mm not sharp to the edges?

Sounds like the 30-90 for the S. I tested the 24-90 on the S1 and similarly felt that the edges were not up to my standard compared to the primes. It seems as though Leica lets edges suffer a bit in order to enhance the rest of the performance. Or perhaps that is just inherent in zoom lenses in...
  7. S

Samy’s Lumix S Sale

Yeah, I can see how they have an uphill battle, but it is interesting to me, as every other pro I have put the S1 in the hands of has been really impressed. People who work day in and day out with cameras know what matters, and the handling, color and output of the Panasonics are superb...I was...
  8. S

Samy’s Lumix S Sale

It is a shame that they are not selling well, if that is the case. They are way ahead of the Sony's in my use...I have the S1 and actually prefer the Camera Natural setting to the standard colors in my Leica S006 on many occasions. I have never seen a camera whose colors are as good as the S006...
  9. S

The great tripod & head thread!

Hi Ken, You are indeed correct. The dimensions were fine, but the file was too large. Here it is. It is with their J100-2 legs and J200 head. The camera is a Chamonix 8x10.
  10. S

The great tripod & head thread!

Not sure if this is too late, but I recently wound up in the same situation. I have been using a TVC-33 and BH55 for ages. They are superb, and I still think they are great. But recently I started shooting 8x10 and it seemed like there were less than ideal amounts of vibration in the camera...
  11. S

Which bokeh do you like better?

I watched the video and found it somewhat amusing. Also amusing is that he is basically talking about it in the context of filming yourself, as opposed to actual use in photography. Kind of funny to talk about reviewing lenses for reviewing cameras. It demonstrates to me how detached many of...
  12. S

Leica M10 - Using it Professionally?

In answer to the original question, I have used the M10 for editorial and art photography, and in the past I have done a few weddings for friends on the M series cameras, though in general I am not a wedding photographer. It is a good camera to use whenever you need high image quality in a...
  13. S

Leica S and M10 Kit

I use the M10 and the S006. I would say they pair very well, but I think the M9 paired even better with respect to the files out of camera. I still think there is something about the CCD renderings...I am not alone. I was talking with the head of the photography department at a rather large...
  14. S

The Mirrorless Endgame ...

Looks fantastic. Looking at the comparisons, I would still give the Phase One IQ180 the nod in terms of color...but without seeing the scene it is hard to tell which is more accurate. But the Phase has a bit more saturation and apparent nuance in color. Still, I would take the Fuji over it for...
  15. S

Next Apple machine ?

Thanks Bernard, I had come across it once or twice. It is a bit hard to navigate, but there is indeed a lot of information there! It seems like the most sensible thing for the moment is to wait. My Mac Pro is still working adequately for what I am doing, there are still options for upgrades...