The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by thomas

1. T

Zeiss Loxia Distagon 2.4/25mm

If you read through the raving reviews online … they are true. I have yet to make decent photos, just took some handheld captures out of the window. But even from these crappy shots it’s clear that the lens is very, very strong. It is damn sharp wide open and the edges/corners are more than just...
  2. T

Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS

Absolutely! It's really nice to see Sony - that once bought Minolta and (AFAIK) kept a large part of Minolta's lens designers - extending this part of its history. The old 2.8/135 STF back than was reason enough for quite a few people to buy into the Minolta system. Just as the Zeiss 4/120 APO...
  3. T

Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests / sample variation When I went to my dealer to exchange my copy we discussed about exchange vs. adjustment in service. I finally decided to let him send the lens to service since another new copy could be decentered as well ... while it is very unlikely that the lens...
  4. T

Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests / sample variation Another bad copy of the FE 24-70 GM here. My copy is considerably decentered (tilt/swing effect) and will be returned next week. I know it's the lens (not the sensor) as a number of other lenses do not show this tilt/swing effect (not even older...
  5. T

Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

The Batis is MUCH larger than the Tessar. The Tessar 4/85 is a special lens. It's slow... so it's pretty uninteressting for most people... certainly not for everyone. However, it's really small, it's fully manual, it handles just as smooth and precise as any other ZM lens and it's practically...
  6. T

Polite question to Leica S and Pentax 645 users, what software do you use?

this is not correct re C1. The color profile does not apply hue twists. WB, levels, curves, exposure, shadows, highlights are applied to the (linearized) RAW data and nothing gets converted into a color profile ... the color profile gets assigned (and then converted to an output color space in...
  7. T

MF direction

you didn't expose to the right :-)
  8. T

MF direction

My MFD sensors are from 2005... and at Base-ISO easily smoke my Sony A7R2 in almost every aspect. Care to see a proof (a chart and/or graph that is)? :-)
  9. T

MF direction

I was tempted to comment on this as well. In the last 15 years or so here in Germany I've seen 3 or 4 professional photographers working with Lightroom... the vast majority uses Capture One. And of course some are using MFD. But then I remembered this quote... and refrained from commenting ...:
  10. T

MF direction

there are two sides to everything. The openness in forums like this allows knowledge exchange as well as nonsense exchange by every idiot.
  11. T

MF direction

That someone who handled a certain system for the first time feels entitled to draw bold conclusions about this system and to think about its position and future in the market is an embarrassment that can hardly be outdone and shows an all through amateurish attitude. What a pain to read through...
  12. T

MFD 'the look' conundrum

Apart from the fact that I am finding this stereotype inappropriate IMHO it really depends what pieces of gear exactly you are comparing... and IMHO the lenses have the strongest impact on what we call "look". So if you use a "classical" MF system the character of the respective lenses...
  13. T

Is there a compelling reason to move to MF?

No. I don't need comparisons to appreciate what stunning IQ a P45 can deliver... yes no no
  14. T

Is there a compelling reason to move to MF?

I do not complain about your tests. I just think many of them are not really meaningful (often you work against your equipment - often you stop down to f16 and, again, you use a software that is effectively limiting with regard to the real potential of your P45+). But the "Weldon-Challenge" was...