The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by willie_901

1. W

Fuji XT-1 - legendary FW update

I have not updated my firmware yet. I always see the EVF rolling effect you mention when fluorescent lighting dominates the scene. The effect seems to be strongest with lights that use older technologies. Modern fluorescents (CFLs) barely have any effect. The only thing I don't understand is...
  2. W

Any issues with X100S in macro mode?

You should not buy the X100S for this purpose. The lens is not deigned to be used wide open at close distances. This was first revealed on Fuji's X100 marketing web site a couple of years ago during an interview with the lens design team. I think this is also mentioned in more recent versions...
  3. W

Radioactive lenses

We are constantly exposed to radioactivity. Exposure is measured in mill-rems. A limit of 2,000 mrem per year is recommended by the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP). Eyeglasses (containing thorium) 6 - 11 mrem/year Gas Lantern Mantle (thorium-232)= 2 mrem/year...
  4. W

Joined The Fuji Crowd

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your new camera. I really enjoy mine.
  5. W

Has time and technology caught up with m43rds?

The fundamental handicap of the m4/3 platform is the signal to noise ratio disadvantage due to the sensor area. Keeping perspective ( camera to subject distance) constant smaller sensors require larger apertures to record the same amount of signal (photons). The noise is not a function of sensor...
  6. W

Some Fuji X-E1 impressions

I enjoyed reading your impressions and how they evolved. I do not think the difference between 12 and 14 bits is significant. The extra two bits typically are wasted digitizing noise. However at base ISO where exposure (light recorded by the sensor) is highest and demands the most from the...
  7. W

Online gallery auto-play without Flash?

JuiceBox. The galleries resize automatically for smart phones and tablets.
  8. W

Your iOS 5 update story

5 PM CST Thurs 13 October Upgraded iPhone 4 (removed music and videos first). This took about 45 mins and was completely routine.
  9. W

sensor size question

The larger the sensor, the more signal one records (compared to a smaller sensor). More signal means a better signal-to-noise (SNR) ratio. When recording digital data nothing beats SNR. As the SNR increases the bits used to digitize the noise decreases. In the end, a larger sensor has more...
  10. W

Long term reliability worries about x100?

I worry a lot more about improving by photography and staying focused to finish on-going projects. I also worry more about building a collection of excellent prints.
  11. W

Pentax Q amazing looking RAW ISO 400/800 shots

Spend some time looking at the Flickr Q Group. http://www.flickr.com/groups/pentax-q/ At this pont there are numerous full-sized photos. They all look pretty noisy to me.
  12. W

ACLU publishes list of photographers' rights (USA)

Thanks for this Brad.
  13. W

THE SAGA CONTINUES

I will never understand why people put up with Leica.
  14. W

Zeiss 50 Sonnar found..should i buy it?

If you like Sonnar lenses, this one is a gem. It's like having two lenses at once. As other reported above, it looks completely different wide open compared to f 4 and up. It does vignette wide open. To me the bokeh is fabulous. The focus shift never bothered me. It really only comes into play...
  15. W

M9 sensor crack and sensor fault

To answer your question. Don't buy a back up M9. Instead spend the $7K on three, used, back-up M8s and a set of IR filters. Then you won't have to worry about a warranty. Sell the X100. It's not a Leica. It not even a rangefinder! (Disclosure: I carry a X100 daily everywhere I go for personal...