The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. 2

Just bought an Imacon flextight precision ii - What else do I need?

I think things have moved on since the conversation started, nowadays a 47mp camera, macro lens, copy stand, neg holder and a light table will do better and do it reliably.
  2. 2

Leica SL2 vs M10 with M lenses

The key consideration is that for critical focus with the SL using anything other than wide open apertures you will always need to open the lens wide and then stop down again if you use focus peaking, otherwise DOF turns the screen red (or whatever colour you choose) because it thinks every edge...
  3. 2

Getting the best B&W rendering from digital.

If anybody remembers the Leica M9 it was greeted with such enthusiasm in part for the way the CCD sensor rolled the mid-tones into whites in much the same way as film, and this carried over into B&W conversion. But being digital the rule was still expose for the highlights. Unfortunately the CCD...
  4. 2

Leica M 90mm f/2.8 VS 135mm f/3.4! Throwing money at the wind

Thank you for correcting me.
  5. 2

Leica M 90mm f/2.8 VS 135mm f/3.4! Throwing money at the wind

It makes a difference what camera you are going to be using but you keep that a secret. A 135mm is still on the cusp of being hit or miss with the rangefinder (composition wise) unless you have an EVF or LV, so yes, go for the 90mm Elmarit. If you do want a 135mm in the future buy an EVF and a...
  6. 2

Large format in the time of digital photography.

Both Ilford and Kodak needed to adapt their production lines to make smaller quantities in short runs to make the sums work. It doesn't mean there isn't a healthy business by cutting back, but the days of pressing the button and 50,000 rolls of Tri-X coming out the other end are long gone, not...
  7. 2

8x10 film

From Ilford https://www.ilfordphoto.com/fp4-plus-sheet-film
  8. 2

Converting a Z7 to monochrome?

I've had both the Leica Monochrom M and M246 and while I enjoyed the MM for it's more film like rendering the M246 highlighted just how little control you ultimately have in placing tones. A monochrome sensor doesn't respond to filters to the same degree as using a filter with B&W film, and of...
  9. 2

M10M exposure bracketing defective?

Once upon a time there was a book that everybody read to help them become grounded in life and put things into perspective, and how the philosophy of 'fixing things yourself' stopped you being dependent on other people (like existing in the hope that software developers would do it for you). It...
  10. 2

Buying a used Leica M6 - any issues to be aware of?

The battery leaking issue, if there is one, is with the battery, not the camera. The camera can't cause the battery to leak.
  11. 2

Ah scrub that, I see you were replying to Gofdfrey
  12. 2

Buying a used Leica M6 - any issues to be aware of?

Buy from a reputable dealer who will give a warranty on it. Yes that may make it more expensive than private sales on eBay, but it saves you getting paranoid about reliability or tales of woe that people always like to recount. An M6 is a reliable camera if you start out with a serviced and...
  13. 2

Shutter delay firing a bracketed sequence would be a very nice backup for the times I've lost, or forgotten to bring, a cable release, that I accept. But I prefer to press the shutter when I see the light change, or when the wind stops gusting, not in five seconds when it may have changed again...
  14. 2

Recommendations for medium format SLR

One other consideration when wedding yourself to the idea of camera movements is that you'll need the fastest lenses you can afford otherwise you stand a good chance of not being able to see the effect of the movement because it's too dark. For sure it's easy to focus without movements with a...
  15. 2

I doubt your Firmware is unique to your particular camera, and to be honest I'm scratching my head why you are finding a problem or need an app to fire your camera. Sure it could be better but the way it is set up by Leica hasn't stopped people making bracketed shots in the past. Like I said...
  16. 2

Get a spare battery and set the camera to stay on all the time, and buy a cable release so you aren't 'mashing' the shutter release button with your finger. It is the same situation with all the digital Leica M's, but the workaround is pretty simple.
  17. 2

B&W with M240 & 50mm ASPH f1.4 Lux

Who, what, where, when, and I suppose importantly, why? Very sure I don't like the fake film frame edges, if you can't do it with using film don't traduce film for all the characteristics that digital can't do! (If you had used film you may not have got so many blown highlights) Steve
  18. 2

Getting tired of Diglloyd

I agree, it's the tester that needs testing as much as the camera that's tested. Steve
  19. 2

Shameless plug for my Kickstarter project (with Leica Monochrom) ...

An interesting project, but wouldn't approaching an established publisher open up their distribution network as well? I could imagine you'll spend $24,000 in time alone finding places to sell it and perhaps a couple of self published working copies of the book made using Blurb or another online...