The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. M

anybody shooting more film than digital?

Not as my main medium, but more and more. I don't shoot 35mm film, but there is a look to MF film that I cannot get digitally (at least at prices that I can justify). Most of my personal work is now shot with a Fuji GX680 or my Dad's Pentacon Six. Paid work is mainly digital, though.
  2. M

Best travel/street tips ever...

Great attitude, Gary, and great photos. Every street shooter should read your post. Martin
  3. M

who uses AF fine tuning on 800/800e?

Not just useful: necessary with pretty much every lens I own.
  4. M

C1 v Lightroom

Jack, I started using C1 back when Adobe didn't convert Fuji X files well, and used it both with the Fuji and the D800. I was never too keen on the C1 color rendition with those cameras, which looks pleasant but not particularly accurate. Stability issues made C1 one big nightmare to use. Now...
  5. M

Can it get worse Hasselblad ? Yes - it can....

Uuhhh, Jorgen, this almost makes me want to wear a watch again :)
  6. M

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Thank you, Jorgen :) Good question. They were all taken with a Nikon D700; the "straight" ones with the 24-70mm lens, the "blurry" ones with a Carl Zeiss Jena 120mm (if I remember correctly) and a tilt adapter. The post was mainly done with Color Efex 3. Unfortunately, I can't install it...
  7. M

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Pentacon Six, CZJ 120 2.8, Portra 160
  8. M

Fuji X-E2 problem

I have the same issue with my X-E1. It seems this might have something to do with the lens. Maybe the lens contacts are not lined up properly. In any case, turning the lens a bit make the camera turn on fine. Martin
  9. M

40x60 from d800

Those digital artifacts might have been caused during the up-sizing of the file. I don't know what software you used, but Photoshop doesn't do a great job at all. A much better way is to use ImageMagic (if you can be bothered with the lack of interface). Alternatively, Perfect Resize and Photo...
  10. M

Fuji Xt1 image quality vs m4/3

Honestly, I prefer the look of the X-T1 to the D800e. Of course, the D800 has larger DR and more resolution, and I might just be in love with the Fuji; but I have found that when I show my photos, people tend to like the Fuji ones more. Also, good high-ISO performance is more useful than image...
  11. M

Tips for Raw Processing with the Fuji X-T1

Nathan, I am with you about Silkypix. I does give the best results, and is not really all that horrible to work with. I checked the colors again, and it seems to be a Silkypix 6 problem (at least for me). Using the Silkypix 4 color setting in SP6 solves the problem more or less.
  12. M

Tips for Raw Processing with the Fuji X-T1

Nathan, how are the skintones out of silkypix 5? I have a hard time getting good skintones out of silkypix 6 (trial version). Other than that I agree, Silkypix gives the better results than C1. Martin
  13. M

LR 5.4 with X-T1 support has been released!

Hmm, might be a Mac thing. I have no complaints on Windows.
  14. M

What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

So far, I have not found a single converter that does it all for me. Capture One does a good job, has a great tool set (like Paul said) and is generally the first converter I try. I am not a landscape shooter, so the green issue is generally not a big deal for me. In some cases fabric shows...
  15. M

Nikon introduces a new raw processor

I have the strong feeling it is based on the Silky Pix converter. At least the interface looks suspiciously similar. Of course, I don't know how much Nikon's input into the conversion migrated into Silky Pix v6, but maybe this might be an option. For what it is worth, I have tried Silky Pix for...
  16. M

Your own personal XF lens roadmap ...

Initially, I got the 35mm, then added a Voigtlander 75mm 1.8. I pre-ordered the 56mm, and might get the 23mm. I wish Fuji would add a 90mm (or longer) portrait lens to the roadmap.
  17. M

Our favorite papers

Canson Platine Fibre Rag if I want a paper that feels good, Harman Gloss Baryta for the everything else. Epson Hotpress Bright for matte.
  18. M

Recommended fuji repair facility

I highly recommend the repair center at Fuji USA. They gave me a quick estimate and did a great job with my GX680.
  19. M

One strobe - Which?

I have Hensel lights (which I can highly recommend), but I would definitely second getting a beauty dish no matter which brand of lights you use. It is an amazingly versatile modifier. Gridded, socked, or fired through a diffusor, or any combination of those give a you great light.
  20. M

Why do you use mirrorless?

Well, I love the image quality of my X-E1, it is fun to use. And most importantly, the models seem to like it. I have never gotten that many positive reactions to a camera. Of course, as soon as the subject moves a lot, the AF becomes too slow.