The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. T

Lens hood dilemma with a Yashica TLR

Ive since tried more times (with different start positions around the lens) but the cut out section of the lens hood always ends up far away from the cable release. However, I have come up with an idea. And that is to cut the rubber lens hood into two halves. So I could start with screwing on...
  2. T

Lens hood dilemma with a Yashica TLR

I did make a lens hood out of cardboard and even painted it black. It worked but it was a bit flimsy. I ordered an extra rubber lens hood so that I could cut a section out of it. I did the deed just then but as I imagined, it's incredibly hard to line up the cut out section with the cable...
  3. T

Olympus 40 - 150mm AF issues

I didn't realise that such a list existed. I admit Ive never installed firmware with any electronic device. I guess there might be instructions on how to do this with a camera and a lens.
  4. T

Rafael, that is very interesting to hear that you are experiencing similar issues when using a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body. Yea so much for the M4/3 compatibility! The compatibility thing sounded a bit too good to be true. I hope you are able to get more consistent AF performance using the...
  5. T

I have an Olympus 40 - 150mm f4 - 5.6 lens which I bought second hand a number of years ago. Very nice image quality but I hate to say it but it is a frustrating lens to use. I have a love / hate relationship with this particular lens. The auto focus is very inconsistent. I always choose areas...
  6. T

Issue with viewing certain Raw files

Ah macOS Finder. Is that software for macs or can a windows pc use it too?
  7. T

Issue with viewing certain Raw files

I have a bit of an issue viewing certain Raw files with my current pc. I can see thumbnail images generated by my Panasonic G6 Raw images in File Explorer. Though there are no thumbnail images for Raw photo files that were shot with the Panasonic G7. And that makes the sorting and organising of...
  8. T

Flash recommendations for M4/3?

For a fair while, Ive been using a Yongnuo speedlight and flash trigger in conjunction with Panasonic M4/3 cameras. They performed okay but once in a while, I had reliability issues. More recently, I inserted some brand new batteries into both units and they refuse to turn on. No signs of life...
  9. T

A warning about infrared film

That's right - the vast majority of the lens markings are not set up for IR. That's why I used hyperfocal focusing in combination with the IR index of the lens like I mentioned in my opening post. Initially, I set the hyperfocal distance and then rotated the lens further so that the IR index was...
  10. T

Very nice work. Those leaves really glow. Out of curiosity, what asa would you set on an external light meter?
  11. T

Thanks for the recommendation on Rollei Retro 80S. The name sounds familiar but I didn't know a lot about it. A lot of the negs look pretty poor. Hardly any have deep blacks. And many of the resulting prints look rather murky and low quality. Plus there are focus issues as well so for the vast...
  12. T

I admit I had a fair bit of bad luck with this film. My exposures were mostly off as well (despite bracketing.) A lot of the negs are quite dark so looks like overexposure. With the IR720 filter and Rollei 400 film, it's recommended to use asa 6, 12 and 25 (depending on which source you read)...
  13. T

Darr, I think I know about this softness that you're referring to - looking at some samples online with B&W IR film. Out of curiosity, did you ever use hyperfocal focusing back then? I'm happy with the sharpness of one of the images where I focused specifically on the subject. No softness...
  14. T

Just recently, I got back my very first B&W infrared film from the local lab. I have shot colour IR slide film in the past. I did learn a painful lesson from this B&W infrared film (Rollei 400 to be precise.) Never use hyperfocal focusing. I did that for most of the film and all those particular...
  15. T

Any Raw software for converting digitised colour negatives?

Thank you for the recommendation. Would Negative Lab Pro work as a plug-in with older versions of Lightroom like version 5 for example?
  16. T

Any Raw software for converting digitised colour negatives?

In the past, I have photographed some B&W film negatives with a Panasonic M4/3 camera and a macro lens and the results turned out quite good. I used a tablet behind the negatives as a light source. I have not tried the same thing with colour negatives but I do know that is it considerably more...
  17. T

Extra wide negative carrier for 35mm film?

That looks like a nice set up. Ive been trying to rig up a DIY system myself but probably the hardest thing I'm finding is getting the camera lens parallel to the film. At first glance, this Lomography Digitaliza looks like an all in one unit. But checking out pictures on the Lomography site, it...
  18. T

Thank you. Ive checked out the Plustek panoramic film holder. Actually, thinking about this more, I may not need an extra wide gate after all. I have not received my stereo camera yet but I know that the distance between the two lenses is close to 70mm. So it's likely that there will be other...
  19. T

Just wondering if there are any negative film carriers for 35mm film that have a gate that is wider than the usual 24mm x 36mm? I'm planning to digitise some negatives that will be exposed with a stereo camera. This stereo camera of mine uses the Realist format which I believe is five...
  20. T

Building a scooter variation for tracking shots (video)

I'm planning to do a DIY project sometime soon. What I want to build is something with wheels that would allow me to attach a camera to it for tracking shots in filmmaking. This thing will be kind of like a variation of a scooter but more simplified in some ways. It won't turn - it will travel...