The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. B

Sigma fp Firmware 2.0

They also added dual-native ISO. The two native speeds are 100 and 3200.
  2. B

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Because of how leaf shutters work, the effective exposure speed won't be accurate at maximum speed and minimum aperture. It should be accurate wide-open, and at intermediate apertures. The speed of the shutter doesn't change, but the percentage of time that it is partially obstructing the...
  3. B

So Leica makes cameras for pros... Really?????

Leica wasn't the only company to use that generation of Kodak sensors. They are the only company that still stands by them. Hasselblad and PhaseOne will flat-out refuse to service a back with an S2-era Kodak sensor. As far as why the S lenses had focus issues, everybody has their theory. Mine...
  4. B

Next Apple machine ?

It is probably overkill for an owner/operator kind of shop, but it wouldn't be if you spent all day retouching or doing catalogue work. You wouldn't run that from local storage, so the dual 10Gb Ethernet will come-in handy. The $6,000 configuration is confusing a lot of people. Nobody will buy...
  5. B

Next Apple machine ?

Stuart, barefeats.com will provide the answer. They test Macs and Mac accessories under different professional workloads (photo, video, audio, animation, etc). There's tons of information on the site, but you can probably start here: https://barefeats.com/macbook_pro_2018_geekbench.html...
  6. B

L-Mount Alliance

The other advantage is that this allows you to shoot 2.4:1 format images with a 1.5x anamorphic lens. That's way beyond the needs of the average DSLR video shooter, but it will provide a very compelling "B camera" option for big-budget productions.
  7. B

Panasonic S1R

They certainly can, but they all offer multiple tiers of lenses. What Panasonic implied is that they are using criteria that they developed with Leica (or that was developed by Leica) to determine which lenses are worthy of the top tier. Canon also has criteria that a lens has to meet to get an...
  8. B

Panasonic S1R

I am no more privy to the details of the Panasonic/Leica commercial agreements than anyone else here, but it sounds that Leica defined a minimum criteria that 4/3 lenses have to meet in order to wear the Leica badge. Panasonic can't use Leica branding on L-mount lenses (because it would be...
  9. B

Panasonic S1R

The higher price is more than covered by the much more expensive viewfinder, sturdier body, better video performance, and extra card slot. Canon, Nikon and Sony would also charge more if they offered those features.
  10. B

General thoughts about S1 and/or S1R

There's a huge difference between AF for stills and AF for video. It looks like Panasonic optimized more for video, and Nikon for stills. That makes sense, Panasonic makes high-end video and cine cameras. Nikon, of course, is known for stills. It would be more interesting to compare Panasonic's...
  11. B

Panasonic S1

It's getting love from the video crowd, but not as much from the photo geeks. It will probably get the most love from paying customers too. If it's anything like Sony, the 24MP camera will outsell the 40+ MP camera by a wide margin.
  12. B

Panasonic S1R

No need to worry, Leica already uses DFD on the SL. Just search for "DFD Leica SL" and you'll get hundreds of hits going back to the introduction of that camera.
  13. B

"small" medium format choices - Leica vs Hasselblad vs Fuji

I still haven't tried the X1D, because there is no local (stocking) dealer. Out of the other two, I much prefer the S to the Fuji. The S is faster, more responsive (not the same thing), has a much better viewfinder, has a much better grip (I often shoot all day), has amazing battery life, has...
  14. B

Leica Monochrom vs Nikon Z7

Kirk hit some important points: Most Leica M lenses perform better on M bodies. There are exceptions, such as the Tri-Elmars that are essentially zooms. The MM is a rangefinder without live-view. The Z is live-view-only. The interfaces are very different. This may be more significant than minor...
  15. B

4K/60fps with cheap cards - no problem

The big difference is the write speed, with name-brand card more than twice as fast. I would have thought that you need a card rated at 90MB/s minimum to do 4K, but it depends on how much compression the camera is using. Did you try filling-up the card? I wonder how much performance you lose...
  16. B

Where is Hasselblad 150mp camera at?

DJI-type consumer drones weigh a few hundred grams and only reach a hundred meters of altitude (if that). They are not a threat to aviation.
  17. B

Limited to 60 pieces

One thing it does is keep them in the news (the photographic news, that is) in spite of having very long product cycles. That's the same reason why they publish their own magazines, sponsor exhibits, etc. Can you imagine if they only put-out a press release every four years when a new camera is...
  18. B

NEW M camera by Zenith?

It is a limited edition for oligarchs, and a few collectors. As with all Leica special editions, people are outraged at first. Then they get used to it. Five years later you hear the same Leicaphiles saying "wish I had bought one, look how much they sell for now!" I am more intrigued in the...
  19. B

Canon FF Mirrorless

I agree, although those shortcomings are relative to reviewer expectations more than anything. Reviewers wanted relatively inexpensive FF mirrorless cameras with all of the "pro" features. They got their price point, but they did not get all the features they wanted. The EOS R is priced between...
  20. B

Canon FF Mirrorless

That's one way to get clicks. I didn't watch it, but its hard not to be (a little) dubious of such coincidences. Time will tell if this is a real issue, or just one camera review trying to stand-out in a crowd. I have never had a card issue in almost 10+ years, but I tend to take reasonable...