The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. P

Pentax 634Z

Let me preface this thread with: So Thanksgiving has just past, enjoyable weekend and it's a lazy Sunday afternoon... So the Pentax 645Z has a 51.4MP CMOS Sensor - 43.8 x 32.8 mm, so why is it not called a P634Z. I'm sure the camera merits a lot in the Digital Medium Format world, and I'm sure...
  2. P

Insurance company Recommendations

Hi All, Setting up a new portrait studio and need some help. Any recommendations for liability insurance, which companies you use and usually a good figure to have insurance up to, eg. $2mil? Any other useful things to know are also welcome Thanks Po
  3. P

New Business Entry Please?

Hi All! I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a "Business" Entry under the Other Discussions. I've always had questions from the stages of thinking about starting a business up until now where I am registering for a photography business. I have had a lot of questions, and there...
  4. P

Profoto Air Remote question!

Hi All, I would like to know if I use the Profoto Air remote and D1 lights in a system, can I use for example PCB Einstein in the mix, but use that as the main light to freeze action and have the air remote trigger the Einsteins for its shorter flash duration to freeze the subject, while the...
  5. P

1/125 Flash Sync Speed...

Hi, The newly announced Pentax 645Z has a FSS of 1/125, what does this mean to most DMF users who shoot flash in the studio? While I understand the following: 1) Shutter speed controls Ambient light the sensor receives, and 1/125 may limit how dark the Ambient gets! 2) Strobe flash duration is...
  6. P

Did the Sony A7R make you say goodbye...

I know that some owners here who went with the A7R were also Nikon D800/E owners, did any of you say Goodbye to your DSLR, I'm curious to know if it did or relegate to lesser use despite the current lack of native lenses for the Sony? And mostly why? Thanks Po
  7. P

Background Material

Hi, I'm not sure this is the correct area to ask, but seemed appropriate since it is somewhat related in a studio setting! I wanted to know of any recommendations on Background material paper. I have a newly built studio space in my basement but my ceiling is only 7.5 feet high! I have seen...
  8. P

Can I have this on my A7 please?

Can I have this on my A7 please: "The Paper Skin" - YouTube Anyone, Hasselblad?
  9. P

What can be improved with the Sony A7/R?

Ok I'm starting the what can be improved with the Sony A7/R? Let me preface the thread by saying "Yes! I like the camera a lot but there is room for improvements." Also this is a place I can quickly list out my ideas. Sure the camera is not for everyone, neither is a Farrari :loco: Anyways...
  10. P

A7/7R user experiences wanted: Is it a keeper?

Hello Nice folks of GetDPI forums and Sony A7/7R users, I want to know how this camera stacks up in real world use. Specifically the questions asked will be tailored for my use. My main camera is 5D mark III. 1) Focus hunting in low light and back lighting, is it a problem? 2) User interface...
  11. P

X mount, what if? (Humor needed)

Hey, I think it's a good time to ask, how many of you would like an interchangeable lens based off the current X vario camera? So begs the question... Meaning the same 16MP APS-C sensor mirrorless camera. Sorry again no viewfinder, you gotta pay if you want to join the Leica club. IQ will be...
  12. P

PRIOLITE: What do you think?

First of, a quick introduction of what I am talking about and asking: These are Monolights, coming in at 500Ws and 1000Ws. The key thing about these, they are complete wireless lights except for charging, running off lithium batteries, so no battery pack or cables. Another amazing thing, is...
  13. P

Beauty Dish: White or Silver?

Thinking about a Mola, but want to know reasons for and against each color choice. Thanks in advance. Po
  14. P

Can anyone explain Fresnel lens in lighting?

Can anyone explain Fresnel lens in lighting used for still photography, what look this achieves etc, used as a main light and used as a rim light? Thank!
  15. P

Fuji GX680 for portraits question?

Hi Guys, This might come off as a very silly question, but what is it that I see that makes the Fuji GX680/III so great with portraits, that I don't often see in other medium format cameras? Is it the bellows that allow for tilt/shift, is it the tilt that isolates the face to contrast it into...
  16. P

Nikon 70-200mm f/4 on D800 for events

Hi Guys, I have a question about the Nikon 70-200mm f/4 on D800/E for events. I wonder how many of you are satisfied with shooting combination at events and can safely put away the f/2.8 VRII version of this range. Any experiences welcome. I know there's the price and weight saving gain from...
  17. P

Tripod Policies, your thoughts!

Hey guys, I always wanted to know if you are NOT allowed a tripod, are you allowed a Monopod? I feel if I were an organization, I might have mixed feelings about this: Examples are like in Museums: 1) Allow: Because it's NOT a tripod. or 2) Disallow: You're pushing it sonny! (You know what...
  18. P

FIGHT CLUB! 24mm f1.4G

Why doesn't anyone talk about the Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G?
  19. P

Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

Hi Guys, My D800 arrived yesterday, after reading a lot of reviews and recommendations, I ordered the three f/1.8 primes (28, 50, 85) to go along with it, and thought Hey, this is winner combination for quality and value. Value? More like a bargain if the lenses are what people are saying...
  20. P

Dust settled users of D800E!

Hi D800E users, Now the dust has settled from its release and there are many "longer term" users of the D800/E, I'd like to know what you think about the camera. Comparisons coming from 20+MP to 36MP, even as a compliment to Medium format, how much mileage has it gotten you that you're okay...