The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. johnastovall

Rare photo of slave children found in NC attic

" A haunting 150-year-old photo found in a North Carolina attic shows a young Black child named John, barefoot and wearing ragged clothes, perched on a barrel next to another unidentified young boy...." Full story
  2. johnastovall

The death of a gear whore.....

I just realized there is only one piece of gear I really want, the 280/4.0 APO Telyt-R. It's sort of the empty feeling I had when I got the last item published by H. Beam Piper. A little of the pleasure died. Not there aren't more lenses and bodies out there but none offer any challenge. I...
  3. johnastovall

Surnames for the Orange Boys?

Jeanne gave then their first names Leo and Leon as the Lion Twins (they did look like her Stieff lion doll) but I think they now need surnames. How about Leo Tolstoy and Leon Trotsky?
  4. johnastovall

Steve Jobs on the new iPhone 4: “It’s like a beautiful old Leica camera”

Video of his saying this....
  5. johnastovall

Dear AT&T: Soon We'll All Be Data Hogs

Why AT&T doesn't see the future...
  6. johnastovall

Tipper Gore - Photography

A photographic portfolio showcasing the works of former Second Lady of the United States Tipper Gore.
  7. johnastovall

Are Cameras the New Guns?

"In response to a flood of Facebook and YouTube videos that depict police abuse, a new trend in law enforcement is gaining popularity. In at least three states, it is now illegal to record any on-duty police officer...." Full story
  8. johnastovall

Camera Bits rules out iPad version of Photo Mechanic

In an open letter to Photo Mechanic customers, Camera Bits President Dennis Walker says his company can't create an iPad version of its venerable pro photo browsing, captioning and transmission application. Full story and letter here.
  9. johnastovall

Eikoh Hose: "Subject Matter"

This talk was presented by Eikoh Hosoe at a Twentieth Century Masters Tribute to Yukio Mishima
  10. johnastovall

Watch this space....

Images from an M8 with a 7.5/5.6 Canon FD Fisheye coming soon.....
  11. johnastovall

PAUL GRAHAM: "The Unreasonable Apple" (2010)

"The point is that we need the smart, erudite and eloquent people in the art world, the clever curators and writers, those who do get it, to take the time to speak seriously about the nature of such photography, and articulate something of its dazzlingly unique qualities, to help the...
  12. johnastovall

Dennis Hopper's Photography and Painting

Not what one expects but maybe it is given his Directoral eye.
  13. johnastovall

Holgaroid

A short movie about Holgaroid with Fabrizio Caligiuri. A Holgaroid is a special kind of Holga hack. It involves replacing the usual Holga back with a Polaroid back, which lets you use Polaroid's type 80 or type 100 peel-apart film. I just found a Holgaroid kit to convert your existing Holga...
  14. johnastovall

The Leica X1: a tool with Leica DNA?

Erwin Puts take on the X1. His final observation: "The imaging engine of the X1 (lens, sensor, processing) delivers impressive results that are close to and even equal to the image quality of the M9. This conclusion is based on a test where the parameters are identical. The decision to...
  15. johnastovall

Really Right Stuff now takes pre-orders for the modular L-plate and grip system for L

ReallyRightStuff now has the Modular L-Plate and grip system for Leica M8/M9 available for pre-order (see original post here). Shipments will start in June, 2010: Replacement base with dovetail Optional L-plate component Optional Grip The replacement base plate completely replaces...
  16. johnastovall

"Street Shooter - an Interview with Mary Ellen Mark"

"It was the early Sixties. Mary Ellen Mark was a graduate student, studying painting at the University of Pennsylvania. On a whim, she decided to take a course in photography. She picked up a Leica. Then she abandoned the brush forever and took to the streets..." Very worth while read
  17. johnastovall

280/4.0 Apo-Telyt-R ?

Is it worth it? I have the 180/3.4 and love it, I'll be shooting it on an SL2 or Canon 1DsMkIII for Landscapes and Archtecturals.
  18. johnastovall

Ricoh GR-DIII Firmware 2.10 now out

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/download/
  19. johnastovall

Leica X1 and Ricoh GR-DIII - a comparison of the physical sizes

Here is a comparison of my two favorite small cameras. One a small sensor and one an ASP-C sensor. Front view X1 0n left. No a lot difference here Bases We now see how much thicker the Leica X1 is. This why I'll keep my GR-DIII for a true shirt pocket camera. The simple...