The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. P

Phase One on a Speed Graphic...

Gerald, What on Earth is that lens? From an aerial camera?
  2. P

Fun with Nikon Images

Further experimentation with long exposure photography in daylight: Nikon D90 + Nikon 50/1.8D at f/16, 100sec 9 images stitched from stacked exposures of 20-30 seconds each (different exposures for sky and water). Total duration to capture this image: 25 minutes. Stitched in Photoshop CS2 and...
  3. P

Fun with Nikon Images

Second day of testing long exposure daytime shots, learned lots of useful things (like using a dark cloth over the whole camera setup to eliminate flare; making sure the ND filters have NO dust on them; and the merits of sturdy tripods). Here's a wide angle shot of the Inner Harbour here in...
  4. P

Fun with Nikon Images

New technique I'm trying out: daytime long exposures. This one felt like it wanted to be in the style of a watercolour, but surprisingly the cheap ($4) 8-stop ND filters I picked up can actually transmit a reasonable dynamic range in the right conditions. Nikon D90, 200/4 AIS at f/11 for...
  5. P

Fun with Nikon Images

In keeping with the blue/gold tones of Hulyss' intriguing image, here's a shot I did as a desktop background: A little copper wire tree in front of my computer monitor. I found the tree at a thrift shop, this is the second shot I'm happy with of it. Nikon D90, 105/2.5 AIS, 2sec at f/22 for...
  6. P

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

IMAX recently had an amazing show on here in Victoria called Rocky Mountain Express: http://www.imaxvictoria.com/media/docs/theaters/victoria/RockyMountainExpress.pdf and many of the images you posted, Ed, were very evocative of the wonderful cinematography of that show. Very well done, in...
  7. P

William Carr - Superb

I'm often multitasking on my computer so I had it muted the entire time and saw only the images. While I do think a lot of them were very good, of course art is open to subjectivity, and so anyone may have positive or negative reactions to the work itself. I'm quite glad I didn't actually hear...
  8. P

Fun with Nikon Images

Nikon D90, 50/1.8D. Intended as a 6-image panorama, but only 4 were used in the final image due to the change in light. 8 exposures averaged for each image used, 15 seconds each = 2 minutes.
  9. P

A way to increase bit depth in Photoshop?

Thank you for your explanation - that makes things a lot clearer. From what I've seen so far in prints (of which I have done unfortunately few) I haven't seen the issues I have on screen, so it might be a display issue as you've said.
  10. P

Thanks, that makes sense. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to smooth the gradients much/any more than normal averaging has. It does help with microcontrast though.
  11. P

Well, I'm using a Nikon D90 which does not have amazing bit depth compared to other more modern cameras (especially those with larger pixel pitch). What I'm trying to do is end up with cleaner (smoother colour/tonal gradations) output files rather than having artifacts such as banding...
  12. P

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself properly - I'm taking multiple exposures with the same settings and merging those together, not trying to make HDR images. I expect that since I'm using multiple images just like in HDR, I could still combine them to make a 32-bit file and get smoother...
  13. P

Fun with Nikon Images

Thank you Swissblad!
  14. P

Fun with Nikon Images

A scene I've been working on for a few months: In Colour: Nikon D90, 50/1.8 at f/8, 1.6 sec; 12-image panorama. Curves/adjustments in Photoshop CS2. In B&W (different day): Nikon D90, 50/1.8 at f/11, 20 sec + light painting; 8-image panorama. Curves/adjustments in Photoshop CS2, B&W...
  15. P

Hello, I've been using image stacking for long exposures, where I average together several images to get a long exposure effect without high-stop ND filters (arriving soon). This gives a much stronger signal-to-noise ratio, and mitigates a few other technical challenges, but that's beside the...
  16. P

Fun with Nikon Images

Thank you both for the positive feedback! That was my second time in the area, but only the first making it to Cabin Point; I'm definitely looking forward to going back again though - lots of opportunity for great images.
  17. P

Fun with Nikon Images

From a recent hike out to Cabin Point, through the East Sooke Becher Bay trails, near Victoria, BC - it was both sunny and foggy, which was wonderful for the opportunities! All panoramas rendered in Photoshop CS2 including curves/adjustments, with Silver FX for B&W conversion. 8-image...
  18. P

Anyone using a Nikon 200mm f.2 for close work?

Nikon Lenses says that the 200/2 VR has a close focus of 1.9m, and a reproduction ratio of 1:8.1. Unless you're planning on using extension tubes or bellows, macro at the level of the 200/4 looks to be out of the question. I can't comment on the 200/2 or the setup you have though: I've just...
  19. P

Fun with Nikon Images

5-image panorama, shot from the highway between Hope and Salmon Arm, British Columbia, with my newly-acquired Nikon 105/2.5 on D90. B&W with Silver FX; curves etc with Photoshop CS2. 6-image macro panorama with Nikon 105/2.5 and 26mm extension tube on D90. Stitched and curves in Photoshop CS2...
  20. P

Lomogrpahy Petzval lens

You could upload it to Google Docs and post a link; I don't know if you can attach a pdf to a post here though.