The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. A

Fun with Nikon Images

2. A

downgrading from D4 to D800

Nor with a D4 ;)
  3. A

Fun with Nikon Images

Seeing the Klein+Moriyama exhibition at the Tate may or may not have influenced my subject matter for a while :p Christmas eve rush Went for the bolder colour this time, still undecided. All D800 + mix of 24/1.4, 24PC-E and 85 1.8
  4. A

Fun with the RX-1

Dunno how well I'm remembering my physics and optics. But for there to be no LoCA in a fast lens, you'd either need lens material with a wavelength invariant refractive index (doesn't exist) or made almost entirely from ultra low dispersion (so reduced wavelength invariance) elements (hello...
  5. A

Nikon "Street"

Ha, I have a couple from that demonstration! Was ostensibly an anti-austerity demonstration.
  6. A

Fun with Nikon Images

Messing around with the tilt shift to reduce DoF Same again - Who said 24mm (ok, I cheat and it's 36 in this case) wasn't a portrait FL? The 85 1.8D isn't that horrible a lens...:)
  7. A

Fun with Nikon Images

8. A

D800 weather resistance

There is a reason that Nikon don't say anywhere in their marketing materials that the camera is waterproof, and that while they claim 'weather sealing' (no other industry uses such an absurd term) will not cover moisture damage under warranty repair. A similar reason that for all the BS talk...
  9. A

Fun with Nikon Images

I really, really want an RX-1 sized version (with a 24mm f/2!) of this camera. It would be the last I buy, and if it doesn't come out this will be the last. With D800 + 24 f/1.4 and the old 85 f/1.8.
  10. A

Polarizing filter for D800

Hm. That is odd. Are you rotating the entire filter or just one of the rings? One of the parts (the front) is the polarizing filter itself, the other is a quarter wave plate. Maybe it's that. If not, hope you can exchange it.
  11. A

Polarizing filter for D800

LCDs don't emit perfectly plane polarized light, so there'll be a little bit of light coming through. It shouldn't be very much at all though. On reflections, on a large surface you'll only get the effect over a certain area (due to the angle of the incoming light). It should be fairly...
  12. A

Fun with Nikon Images

D800 delivered yesterday :D, so taking it out on some shakedown runs to get accustomed to it. Liking it a lot so far.
  13. A

nikon/canon high iso

There are so many things this depends on, image intent above all - detail is not important to all images, and when it is unimportant ISO can be pushed higher. Same for colour. So you'd have to try for yourself and see.
  14. A

Fun with Nikon Images

D7000 24/1.4
  15. A

Fun with Nikon Images

16. A

Fun with Nikon Images

Toledo is probably the most beautiful city I've visited so far. She was raging at the X100's focusing (in)ability. That camera is seriously close to being perfect for me (the RX1 edges even closer, all it needs is effective PDAF, and maybe a 24mm f/2 :D ). Impromptu 3am guitar...
  17. A

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

Oh, there'll be plenty who shoot with or have shot with hasselblads. It's the number who own (or want to own) new MF digital bodies that they're interested in. Camera club at my uni has a fair few people who primarily shoot a range of 645, 6x6 and 6x7 film cameras, and even one or 2 who...
  18. A

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

I'm another one of those "younger audience of potential photographers", and what's more, one who could (if I really stretched) buy a camera + lenses in the price range that Hasselblad seems to be looking for. You know what makes me sad? The rebranding thing actually could have worked. Imagine...
  19. A

Fun with Nikon Images

Back in London and looking through pictures from Madrid and Barcelona. Had an absolutely fantastic time except a bout of food poisoning, but feeling as though I need to do something a bit more structured photographically. Merce is a fantastic festival - museums are free, there are outdoor gigs...
  20. A

Nikon D600 may not be so "budget" after all

I was expecting to be a buyer, but at the current UK pricing, the D800 makes more sense (£150 difference). A shame, because I'd have quite liked the smaller body.