The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. StephenPatterson

shooting leica lens w/ hoods off

I shoot with the hoods as they are small and don't get in the way. I also use UV filters for lens protection during the day, but take them off when shooting at night as I find a noticeable increase in internal reflections after dark. Of course it's possible to clone these out in post, but I...
  2. StephenPatterson

Fun w/Digital M Images

re: Fun with the New Leica M Lou, this is AutoWB and "Classic" center weighted average metering, but with a 90mm lens of course the camera behaves more like a spot meter. I'm not using the advanced metering modes yet, as they require the shutter to be open and use more battery life. Like all...
  3. StephenPatterson

Fun w/Digital M Images

re: Fun with the New Leica M I think as your have surmised that the 3D effect is simply a combination of lenses like the 35 Summilux FLE, the new Leica M sensor and my post processing techniques applied to these images. The M240 files are very receptive to sharpening with a significant...
  4. StephenPatterson

Fun w/Digital M Images

re: Fun with the New Leica M A couple of M(240) B&W conversions, from NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 Leica M(240) + 35 Summilux FLE
  5. StephenPatterson

To keep C Sonnar or not?

This lens caused me nothing but frustration when I owned it. Of course with the new M and live view you would be able to work around the focus shift issues, but that is a slow way to shoot. I am using the live view and EVF only for very low light of ultra shallow DOF shots, but the...
  6. StephenPatterson

To 6-Bit code a 90mm or not?

I had my 90 Elmarit-M coded so I could sort in Lightroom, but as others have said this is really the only reason to code a lens longer than 50mm.
  7. StephenPatterson

Fun w/Digital M Images

re: Fun with the New Leica M A couple from this afternoon with the M(240) 35 Summilux FLE and 90 Elmarit-M
  8. StephenPatterson

Best 50mm pairing with the 28cron asph ?

One black Leica lens looks like another. Just tell your wife it's a Voigtlander
  9. StephenPatterson

Best 50mm pairing with the 28cron asph ?

Noctilux 0.95. Just get it over with... The Nocti can be a "normal" 50 when stopped down, and give a great look, but no other lens can do what this lens does.
  10. StephenPatterson

Used leica Lenses in Hong Kong

And I know folks who have had problems with 9 Days, Fotopia, DigitalRev and more. Camera buyers in Hong Kong need to be educated about price, models, versions, and in general have as much information as possible before negotiating or buying. Indecision or weakness is like blood in the water to...
  11. StephenPatterson

Used leica Lenses in Hong Kong

Zhao Xiang Guan (aka Sun Camera) on Kimberely Rd. is the first place I go in Hong Kong. They are very reasonable, take trade-ins and have a large selection of new and used equipment. My friends and I have done enough business with them that I can recommend them with no reservations. The shop...
  12. StephenPatterson

How about more and more fun with Canon...

Another from my travels last month in northern Thailand. Canon 5D3 + 70-200 f/2.8 IS II
  13. StephenPatterson

shutter noise:MM vs M9 vs M9p (vsM)

Dave, can you imagine how complicated and expensive the electro-mechanical assembly would have been for a manual re-cock of the electronic M9 shutter, compared to a simple electric motor? Leica have demonstrated by removing the frame preview lever on the M-E that gears and levers are costly to...
  14. StephenPatterson

How about more and more fun with Canon...

My wife and I visited Angkor Wat in Cambodia during Chinese New Year, and while there we decided to have a little fun with the light and location. Canon 5D Mk. III + Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II and Canon 85/1.2L
  15. StephenPatterson

21 sem/ 24 3.8 over 21/24 lux for daytime

Another reason I like the 21SEM in my kit is that it takes E46 filters, the same as the 35 Summilux FLE, 50 Summilux ASPH and many other Leica lenses.
  16. StephenPatterson

shutter noise:MM vs M9 vs M9p (vsM)

I have owned two M9-Ps and both had different shutter sounds and feel, which were different from the M9, M8.2, M8 and MM. Lots of variation, probably related to the hand built nature of the camera. The M(240) is in a completely different league. The closest comparison I can make is with my M2...
  17. StephenPatterson

Fun w/Digital M Images

re: Fun with the New Leica M I had to do a double take, as I've never seen one "in the wild", just in Hermes limited edition boxes shrink wrapped and destined for the vaults here in Asia. As a lover of all things silver chrome (since my first Leica, a IIIC) I have to say that it's one sexy...
  18. StephenPatterson

Leica M in Venice

Thanks Jono, it's very interesting to see your shots along with the EXIF data. I notice that you switched among the different metering modes (as a good tester should do) but did you come away with a favorite metering mode? I have not had enough time to fully experiment with the "advanced"...
  19. StephenPatterson

Fun w/Digital M Images

re: Fun with the New Leica M Hi Jono, Yes, using LR 4.4 and these are all AutoWB "As Shot", but I did desaturate the orange and red slightly. This is a habit I developed thanks to my Chinese wife, which I now find myself using perhaps too often, to make asians look more western. :o I'm...
  20. StephenPatterson

Fun w/Digital M Images

re: Fun with the New Leica M And here's one with a bit of colour, again with the 35 Summilux FLE