The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. B

Best 200 mm lens

Has anyone compared the available 200 mm lenses available, particularly on the A7/r? I have a shoot coming up that I will probably be doing with the A900, but I won't have time or budget to test all the option ahead of time. The Minolta 200 HS G, the Sony 70-200/2.8, the Sony 70-200/2.8 II, in...
  2. B

Tripod recommendation

Yes, I know this is the third tripod thread in as many weeks, but please humor me. I'm looking for a relatively heavy, sturdy tripod with a geared center column. It doesn't need to be new and I don't care if it is carbon or cast iron. Bonus points for extra height, but more than anything I need...
  3. B

Coldest temperature to safely use strobes

Does anyone know what the lowest temperature it is safe to use strobes? It may get down to -15f on my shoot tomorrow night. I'm going to use hot lights as much as possible, but may need the strobes.
  4. B

Mamiya 6 Digital ready on evilbay

Modified Mamiya 6 camera for Hasselblad V mount digital back with 75mm Lens !! | eBay I don't know whether do be horrified or intrigued. Looks cool, but not exactly useable. I have to admit that over-indulgence of alcohol has made me consider doing something like this, but those ideas vanish...
  5. B

A900 tethered shooting

Can someone please walk me through how to shoot tethered to either LR4 or C1 Pro with a Sony A900?
  6. B

Which DAM/Catalog app to pair with C1?

I am re-evaluating C1 Pro as a raw processor for a new ongoing project. What do you C1 devotees use for a catalog, Lightroom, Aperture, Media Pro, something else?
  7. B

Manual focus back focusing

This is driving me nuts. I have one lens that I can't nail focus for all the tea in China and most shots are either front or back focused depending on the lens. I know the lens is super sharp, I just can't seem to get the subject in focus. If it is sharp in the viewfinder, it is off in the file...
  8. B

Help me pick a 400ws portable

Hi guys, I'm looking for a 400ws battery powered portable light on a tight budged. Current options on the table are: Norman 400b Pros: about $375-$400 used. Least expensive option. Durable. Plenty of modifiers including a high output reflector and a glass dome. Available for rental locally when...
  9. B

New macbook pro running slow

Hi all, I have a new 15" 2.2 MBP with 8GB ram, an OWC 120 GB 6G SSD drive in the HD location and a 500GB 7200 rpm drive in the optical bay with a data doubler. Running the Digilloyd medium photoshop action, I get speeds of 129 (initial warmup), 130, 135, 134, 139 when run with 4 iterations...
  10. B

USB3 or eSATA?

I need to buy some connected external storage in the form of a toaster or dual dock for Lightroom, field backups, etc. If you don't roll that way, that's ok, but that is the way I am going for now. This will be connected to a Macbook Pro. The question is do I go eSATA or USB3? eSATA is proven...
  11. B

Photoshelter

Anyone use it? What do you think?
  12. B

Sony A230 $288 on Sony Style

Might be a good backup for someone. Link From Dealmac: Sony Style again offers the factory-refurbished Sony Alpha DSLR-A230L 10.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera together with a Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens for $287.99. With free shipping, that ties our mention from last month and is $103...
  13. B

Tilt/shift lens options

Are there any tilt/shift lens options available for Sony besides the old Hartblei Super Rotator? I was kicking around the idea of possibly adding a 4x5 (probably a very bad idea for many reasons) when an acquaintance said that he replaced his 4x5 with the Canon tilt/shift lenses and won't be...
  14. B

Vanishing America in the Gulf coast

Not sure if anyone here knows Holt Webb or is familiar with his Vanishing America project, but he is spending some time in the Gulf Coast documenting the destruction to the environment and people's lives even after the mainstream media has grown tired of the story and moved on. He updates his...
  15. B

Induro leg lock durability

Does anyone have experience using Induro tripods or monopods in dusty/sandy/salt water conditions? I'm debating between an Induro and Manfrotto monopod and it is going to see a lot of abuse. The Induro is much nicer, but heavier and I'm concerned about the long-term reliability of the product...
  16. B

Flatbed scanner recommendation

Can someone recommend a flatbed scanner to scan old prints and possibly some odd format negs (like the old disk cameras)? This is really a one-time family project, though if the scanner has life/use beyond that would be great.
  17. B

Adding grid lines to M screen

Has anyone ever drawn or etched grid lines on a matte screen before? I love my M screen, but I need some sort of horizontal/vertical reference.
  18. B

Urgent Caldigit help needed

Our Caldigit drive stopped talking to our Mac on a shoot on location. This is the eSata/Snow Leopard bug. Does anyone have the file to get them to pair again? Our rescue/recover file expired. Thanks! Bill
  19. B

DAM software for Mac?

What does everyone use for image cataloging on a Mac? Expression Media appears to be abandoned, Aperture takes way too much power to run efficiently and Lightroom is really more of a raw processor than catalog. What is left? I process my images in a dedicated processor and that won't change...
  20. B

Canon 17-40L weather sealing warning

Like everyone else I did the testing and determined that UV filters degrade image quality, and in the case of Canons AF accuracy and reliability as well, and only use UV filters when things are flying at my front element. However, it appears that Canon lenses need the filter for sealing. This...