The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. L

gotta shoehorn?

Well, here are the specs on it from Toshiba: http://tinyurl.com/2enmrq3 It is SATA, so it may be able to be jumpered into existing MBPs if somebody (OWC??) figures some sort of mount and connectors. There appears to be enough room inside the 15" MBP at least, and probably the 17" also. These...
  2. L

gotta shoehorn?

Saw this recent announcement from Toshiba. They are evidently marketing the same flash units that are in the new MBA notebooks. Not sure if the 256GB would fit in the 11" model, but I am sure somebody will try ;-)...
  3. L

HELP - 3" paper cores for espon 7800

Shelby, Hope it all works out, and let us know what your successful solution was. Wayne, You may be correct. I just rifled through my stuff looking for the 3" roll media pieces to fit my 7800. They are grey colored plastic things that snap onto the existing spindle, over and around the 2"...
  4. L

Big Crisis, broke off battery door

Jorgen, I sympathize with your situation. Not having a D300, I have no idea how the battery door works. But, on the Canon 7D that I have, one has to remove the battery door in order to install the battery grip. I mention this as the door has to be popped off, and the first time I did it, I...
  5. L

Aperture 3/Nik Software

Exactly, and that was sort of my point, Aperture, and even Lightroom (though I do not use it), have come a long way with adjustments and brushes that are starting to challenge the capabilities and results of the third-party plug-ins. Like you, my recommendation would be to get Aperture 3, start...
  6. L

Aperture 3/Nik Software

You are correct, Jono. That is a recent marketing change in Nik Software products, AFAIK. Now one has to select which application Lightroom or Aperture, for the less expensive "complete collection", or pay a hefty sum to have products usable on all (PS, LR and Aperture). Silver Efex Pro does...
  7. L

Aperture 3/Nik Software

The Nik Software products, like Silver Efex Pro that you mention are plug-ins that work within certain other software applications to accomplish things. The plug-ins work with Photoshop, Aperture and Lightroom, but not apps like iPhoto. So if you wanted to use them, you would need to have one of...
  8. L

some early MBA problems surfacing....

One type of fix is on the way: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/04/apple-internal-support-acknowledges-macbook-air-display-issues-software-update-coming/ LJ
  9. L

HELP - 3" paper cores for espon 7800

Shelby, I think these are the parts that you should have gotten with the printer. At least here is the part number for you do be able to start searching LJ
  10. L

some early MBA problems surfacing....

Just noticed a posting on MacRumors about some problems with displays, kernel panics, and crashes on a few of the new MacBook Air laptops. Preliminary diagnoses are suggesting issues with the logic board. Appears to be happening on some 11" and 13", even with the 4GB RAM options. Just worth...
  11. L

Face Time - and macbook air

No "cat fight" here....just trying to keep a perspective ;-) You are asking about an unknown right now.....the longer term performance of the flash memory in the new MBAs. With SSDs that are using Sandforce technologies, they build in some redundancy in storage to swap out sectors as they start...
  12. L

13. L

Not to put too much of twist into this, but the flash storage on the MBA is not really the same as an SSD, from what has been reported in several places. So yes, it will still be better than a HDD, but it is not performing quite as well as an SSD. Not sure why, but that was something that did...
  14. L

Pro Family Photographer Video - funny

And here is another one done along the same lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oqHrPQ9ULM Sometimes feels like deja vu with respect to this conversation ;-) LJ
  15. L

which model mac pro

Aside from the diglloyd tests, you may want to check some of the testing of various models of MacPros on bearfeats.com They have done various tests with real world apps, games, etc., in different configuration of machines, amount of RAM, different graphics cards, etc. Go tho their main page...
  16. L

Need bag advice: 15" laptop + photo gear...

Ah, the eternal bag conundrum ;-) What you are trying to accomplish makes for quite a challenge. The small format and lens sizes of the Leica gear will get swallowed in almost any bag that is deep enough to hold a 1-series plus the 70-200 attached. And when you add the laptop, it creates yet...
  17. L

New MacBook Air computers - my take

...and some updated performance specs on the newer models compared with previous versions and the 13" MBP. Starts making that 13" MBA look pretty good ;-) http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/26/new-benchmarks-show-13-inch-macbook-air-rivaling-its-macbook-pro-counterpart/ LJ
  18. L

That was mostly the point of the other posts.....once one defines the real needs for use under different conditions or travel, any of the tools can do a good job. As Jono notes, the iPad is a great tool for parts of the overall workflow and for convenience and travel use, but may not be best for...
  19. L

A comparison of new MBA v. older models and the 13" MBP, plus the iPad with respect to computer performance. As noted in this article, it does not take into account things like the newer GPU, etc., but just looks at the processor performance...
  20. L

Wide Angle and Telephot Primes for APS-C and 7D

The 60D is an impressive little camera also. I was originally thinking about it for my HD video needs, and still may get one as a b-roll camera, but after looking through the 7D, there was not a lot of choice after that ;-) The articulating screen on the 60D is a very nice addition to that...