The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. L

gotta shoehorn?

Saw this recent announcement from Toshiba. They are evidently marketing the same flash units that are in the new MBA notebooks. Not sure if the 256GB would fit in the 11" model, but I am sure somebody will try ;-)...
  2. L

some early MBA problems surfacing....

Just noticed a posting on MacRumors about some problems with displays, kernel panics, and crashes on a few of the new MacBook Air laptops. Preliminary diagnoses are suggesting issues with the logic board. Appears to be happening on some 11" and 13", even with the 4GB RAM options. Just worth...
  3. L

refreshed MacBook Pro line released....

With all the hoopla around the recent iPad release, some folks may have missed another big event from today. Apple finally refreshed the MacBook Pro line-up, and the offerings are pretty decent. The 13" models still have Core 2 Duo chips, but have newer graphics capabilities and a bit more...
  4. L

just when you thought things were settling down....

Have no idea how good this tech will actually be, nor how far it may go with respect to other cameras, but just about the time folks start to feel like they have gotten the big sensor/many megapixel beast to keep a leading edge.... http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/quantum-dot-images...
  5. L

Model release iPhone app....

Just saw a posting on another forum about a newly released app for the iPhone and iPod Touch that some photogs might find useful. It is a model/property release that one can complete onsite, get signed (using something like a plastic tipped stylus), and have mailed to the photog for record...
  6. L

Phocus 2.0 available for download....

Folks that are presently using Hasselblad cameras and Phocus software can now download the much anticipated version of 2.0. It looks to have some very nice features, seems faster, and is looking very good. http://www.hasselblad.com/service--support/technical-support/software-downloads.aspx It...
  7. L

Profoto Pro-8a v. Bron Scoro A4S comparison review

Ran across this Head-2-Head comparison review by Ted Dillard over on Luminous Landscape, and thought to post the link to the review in the lighting section here. Normally, we do not see too much beyond marketing materials on studio light performance, so it was nice to find this review. It looks...
  8. L

X-Rite has new "kit" for color balancing.....

Folks that may be using LR (maybe ACR also), this new "kit" by X-Rite may be of interest to help get more accurate color balances with DNG files. http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1257 I am a firm believer of shooting a test target to create an in-camera custom WB whenever...
  9. L

anybody seeing S2 image files yet?

With all of the Leica hoopla today (congrats to them on the M9 release, etc.), it seems as though the S2 is already falling onto the sidelines. The pricing was announced around July 29th or so, followed by the specs being published around August 14th or so, with the promise of image files to...
  10. L

looks like the Hy6 is no more....

Ran across this in BJP. Looks like Sinar is going to go it alone for their other business and also drop the Hy6. Jenoptik also looks to follow its own path with respect to digital imaging. No idea what that means in the MF world at this point...
  11. L

something to think about....Canon semi-MF?

O.K., let me preface this by saying that I have no knowledge, leaked info, or anything else on Canon and forward plans. I just got to thinking a lot more after seeing the Leica S2 pricing and stuff. Do any folks think that Canon could produce something similar to the S2, but done with Canon...
  12. L

stargazers with iPhones....very cool app...free today!

For you folks that like to gaze up at the stars and have an iPhone or iPod Touch, here is a cool app to help you figure out what you are looking at, or what you may want to look at. It is free today (July 20, 2009) only, to commemorate the lunar landing (40th anniv.). This one is nice to have on...
  13. L

Leica news posted on LUF....

Did not know where to place this, as it hits several sections. There is some recently posted news (a summary from a discussion with Stefan Daniel at their Hessenpark member meeting) posted on the Leica Camera forum. Folks interested probably have received a notice or at least know the link...
  14. L

Phase to buy Leaf from Kodak.....

As things keep shifting, this bit of news may or may not change things in the MF world. Saw this on Luminous Landscape this morning. I am sure more info will emerge, along with discussions. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/whatsnew/ LJ
  15. L

more DxO testing to discuss/dismiss?

Ran across this latest snippet about the DxO Sensor test and how some top cameras score. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10241535-39.html?tag=centerColumnArea3.0 LJ
  16. L

Another new roller bag to think about....

Just got a notice about a new Tenba Universal roller bag designed to fit all airline carry-on requirements, etc. Actually looks like a nicely designed and built bag. I have several Tenba bags and cases (not quite as many as I do of ThinkTank stuff, but enough), and they are well-built. Check out...
  17. L

SOLD: DynaLite studio light kit plus...

Complete, ready to go, 2x radio triggered 1000Ws packs, 3x 2000Ws heads, sync cords, etc. This is a slightly older version of what is now the MK10-2303 Roadmax kit, minus the crappy little umbrellas. B&H listing...
  18. L

amazing entertainment....fun to watch....

A colleague of mine sent me this link to a video clip that is pure entertainment and a pretty amazing effort. If you have a few spare moments, it is worth the viewing. http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/152506/detail/ And folks complain about being able to get a few people to get into...
  19. L

Any real news on Canon 1-series updates?

O.K., some folks love 'em, some not so much. Besides the point for those that are invested with good glass and other stuff. We saw Photokina come and go, as did PMA. There was the 5DMkII update, long overdue, plus a nice smattering of very interesting new lenses that may hold promise for those...
  20. L

first shoe to drop....50D announced....

For folks anxiously waiting for news of new Canon DSLRs, they just announced the 50D. At 15MP and 6.3fps speed, new Digic IV processing, etc. New sesnor with higher ISO, even at 4.7 micron pixels size (ISO 6400 and 12800 above normal 100-3200 range.) You can check the specs and brief review on...