The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. ErikKaffehr

short test: Fuji 100MP with Zeiss 35 mm or Phase one 50 MP with Digaron HR 35 mm?

Zeiss publishes distortion data for the Loxia 2.4/25: Source: https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/consumer-products/downloads/photography/datasheets/en/loxia-lenses/datasheet-zeiss-loxia-2425.pdf I would guess that the trend is a bit towards more symmetric designs with mirrorless, as that would...
  2. ErikKaffehr

Hassy 60/3.5 or 50/4 for CFV II?

I used to have the Distagon 50/4 CF (FLE) but replaced it with the Distagon 35/3.5 CF. I would not have preference to either lens. The reason for my switch was that I reorganized from 40/50/80/120/180 mm to 40/60/100/120/180 mm and did not want to carry to many lenses. I wouldn't think there is...
  3. ErikKaffehr

short test: Fuji 100MP with Zeiss 35 mm or Phase one 50 MP with Digaron HR 35 mm?

Quite good up like 25 mm off axis at f/5.6. But I would think that modern designs could be quite a bit better. Old Hasselblad Distagon 4/40 CFE New Hasselblad Distagon 4/40 CFE IF. The MTF curves are much higher on the new lens, but 'tan' drops quite a lot. That is often a sign of lateral...
  4. ErikKaffehr

Sony Video Comparing "Large Format" Global Shutter vs Rolling Shutter Sensors

Well, global shutter can replace external shutter and may be allow for fast sync speeds. But, using a sensor with an external shutter allows for making best use sensor surface for collecting light. We really have four alternatives: EFSC (Electronic First Shutter Curtain) uses rolling reset to...
  5. ErikKaffehr

Thinking about GFX

Interesting reading: https://www.matrichardson.com/blog/2017/3/fujifilm-gfx-50s-one-camera-to-do-it-all https://blog.michaelclarkphoto.com/?p=10425 Interesting viewing: My experience with MFD is limited to a P45+ on Hassy V that I bought used back in 2013. I am shooting the A7rIV...
  6. ErikKaffehr

Phase One IQ1 80 vs. IQ3 80 Live View

Very interesting view point. It is totally feasible. But I also have some doubts... In principle, the approach with a laser distance meter and high precision focusing ring should be very accurate, but there may be some variables like focus shift and thermal expansion that may be problematic...
  7. ErikKaffehr

Sharing experience with GFX100S files

Hi, The 'banding' you see probably comes from the PDAF pixels. The GFX 100S is said to have solved it. Can you share a 'raw' file? Best regards Erik
  8. ErikKaffehr

Hasselblad Macro - XCD 120mm vs V 120mm

Hi, The 100/3.5 is not suitable for close up work, but your mileage may vary. The story is that focusing near on the 100/3.5 CF will cause a lot of aberrations, but you photography may not be affected by those aberrations. I have the 120/4 CFi and have used it with extension tubes on my...
  9. ErikKaffehr

Finding the right repro setup for Hasselblad 907x

My hunch may be is to go with the X-series macro. The V-series lens, that I actually have is not recommended for large objects. The H-series macro is said to be good. Modern lenses would normally have floating elements that allow for flat focal plane over their intended focusing range. Best...
  10. ErikKaffehr

Finding the right repro setup for Hasselblad 907x

What reproduction scale would you need? Best regards Erik Best regards Erik
  11. ErikKaffehr

Hasselblad vs GFX system

Hi, The Sony A7rIV sensor is probably also stitched. The steppers exposing the sensor on silicon usually have around APS-H size aperture. Best regards Erik
  12. ErikKaffehr

Direct comparison of digital backs - is it interesting?

Always interested... Don't know if it is worth the effort. Lots of opinions how to do a correct test. Sharing raws may be a good idea. Best regards Erik
  13. ErikKaffehr

Sharpening workflow?

I have some doubts on the wisdom of multi step sharpening, if we make large prints. The reason is that any step in sharpening will enhance any artifacts induced by previous sharpening steps. The way I work, I would use Lightroom's sharpening up to A2 size prints. Going beyond that, I would not...
  14. ErikKaffehr

Phase one back sizing - difference in tonal quality?

All sensors are not created equal. Phase One has used sensors from Kodak, DALSA and now Sony. Kodak sensors probably had some issues with some colors DALSA did not have. Always hard to say how much is sensor and how much is color. Some sensor have microlenses, some don't. A larger sensor can...
  15. ErikKaffehr

Hasselblad: Phocus Or Lightroom

At the time Adobe introduced those features, Jeff Schewe shared a link to the article describing the algorithm used. I am pretty sure it was this one: https://people.csail.mit.edu/sparis/publi/2011/siggraph/Paris_11_Local_Laplacian_Filters.pdf A mask that is based on luminosity. The...
  16. ErikKaffehr

Hi Godfrey, Once 'highlights' or 'shadows' sliders are used above 50% Lightroom applies some local adaption methods to maintain local contrasts. That effect cannot be achieved with curves. HDR programs used to have 'local adaption' but that resulted in 'grungy results', causing HDR to have bad...
  17. ErikKaffehr

Reasons for MF in 2021

Personally, I feel that sunsets are boring, but old trees are beautiful... The second image is really great! Best regards Erik
  18. ErikKaffehr

Reasons for MF in 2021

I don't think that 30 FPS is beneficial for MFD users. There are advantages to larger sensor formats. Basically, larger formats can collect more photons, that will improve things like SNR and DR. It may be argued that it is easier to design an excellent lens for MFD compared to smaller...
  19. ErikKaffehr

Hi, Lightroom is a DAM tool, with Phocus, I don't know. Lightroom has a lot of content aware processing that can be good or bad, owning to taste. There are plenty of tools for generating color profiles for Lightroom. With Phocus you get what Hasselblad thinks is good. If you have different...
  20. ErikKaffehr

CFVii50c strange artefacts and pattern

Hi, The steppers used for lithography usually have apertures around APS-H size. So, anything larger than APS-H needs to be stitched. The segments are not tiles, but exposed using different masks. So think that the stepper exposes one part of the sensor for all sensor on the wafer, switches to...