The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. ErikKaffehr

Raw histograms and raw converters

In a way, I would suggest that photographers interested in image quality would be interested in a tool for viewing the raw data. A good such tool is RawDigger. So, this shows a very small overexposed area. Seems to be ideal... Now, looking at the same image in Capture One at defaults the...
  2. ErikKaffehr

Erik Kaffehr, Nyköping, Sweden

I am a retired engineer who used to work with simulators for training nuclear power plant operators. Photography is my hobby, dating back to 1970. My MFD experience is with a P45+ back on a Hasselblad 555/ELD that I was shooting from 2013-2015. Still have the gear, but it sees very little use...
  3. ErikKaffehr

Marketing vs. reality

Hi, Just a small reflection... Before retiring I worked with nuclear power plant simulations. A few years ago, we were depending on cutting edge technology. We didn't need the most extreme performance like in meteorology or CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) but we needed a lot of computer...
  4. ErikKaffehr

Wrote a posting about HSS compared to leaf shutters...

Hi, I did a small write up comparing HSS to using flash with leaf shutter lenses, it is here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63432269 The title, 'The ugly side of FP shutters with HSS', is a bit bombastic. But I really found that the HSS I tested was not that impressive. I would...
  5. ErikKaffehr

Why I would think that the X2D and GFX 100 fill be reasonably priced...

Hi, I would think that there is little doubt the X2D and the GFX 100 are around the corner. The only question is how far away that corner is. I would think once the new cameras arrive, they will be priced around or below 10k$US, nothing like 33k$US like for the Hasselblad 6D 100c. Why I think...
  6. ErikKaffehr

First checks on a new system

Hi, If we buy a new system, it makes a lot sense to start with doing an initial checkup. Doing this is useful as it: Indicates any serious problems with the system. Gives you a reference. So you can check that your system has not been negatively affected by a drop. Gives you a baseline...
  7. ErikKaffehr

Kipon is shipping tilt and shift adapters for GFX and X1D

https://www.fujirumors.com/kipon-shipping-fujifilm-gfx-tilt-shift-adapters/
  8. ErikKaffehr

Two tools any "raw" shooter should have

Hi, There are two tools I find most helpful, RawDigger and FastRawViewer. RawDigger shows the raw image as it is. So, it easy to see if there are parts beyond recovery, but also how far I am from ETTR exposure. https://www.rawdigger.com/ FastRawViewer is a very fast viewer for raw files, I...
  9. ErikKaffehr

The effects of pixel sizes

Hi, There are now and than discussions about pixel density being good or bad. Here is a quick summary: High MP / high pixel density beenefits: Higher resolution, almost never limited by lens Somewhat better sharpness More tolerant to sharpening Less artefacts Here are the disadvantages of...
  10. ErikKaffehr

I own a Toyota RAV 4, 2006 model, what camera should I buy?

Hi, I am a bit tired of those car analogies. Anyways, I happen to own a Toyota RAV 4, Diesel, year 2006. I might buy some new car next year or so, possibly a small camper. So, what camera should I buy? Right now, I own a pretty complete Hasselblad V system with a P45+ back, which I will keep...
  11. ErikKaffehr

DPReviews first look at the X1D - what I learned from it

Hi, DPReview has published a "first look" review of the X1D, including raw samples. So I checked them out, what did I find? First I looked at top left corner. It contains a USAF test chart. Although USAF charts have bad reputation I feel they are quite nice and actually give a lot of good...
  12. ErikKaffehr

Hasselblad X1D 120/3.5 Macro MTF data major improvement over the HC-macro

Hi, The X1D has 44x33 mm sensor and the new lenses are designed for that sensor. I just found the MTF curves for new 120 macro: These data is extremely good. The HC 120 macro is known to be a truly excellent lens: But the X1D one lens is the better one. This may depend a bit on the...
  13. ErikKaffehr

Some good info from a GFX owner

Hi, Jim Kasson is a retired electrical engineer and colour scientist with a life long passion for photography. Jim recently started shooting with his Fuji GFX system and he seems to be quiet impressed by the system. Be warned, Jim is a scientist at heart, so he takes an engineering approach...
  14. ErikKaffehr

Hi another comparison of DPReview samples

Hi, Here is another comparison: Nikon D810 Fuji GFX Canon 5DsR Phase One IQ3-100MP Central text: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/DPReview/Comparison_1/CentralText.png Corners: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/DPReview/Comparison_1/Corner.png Moiré...
  15. ErikKaffehr

Me and my Götschmann…

Hi, I have planned for long to shoot my Götschmann projector and I have include my own head as a reference. This image was shot with the P45+ on my Hasselblad. It was a small exercise in setting light and an amusing experiment. The image enclosed here was processed in Lightroom, using my own...
  16. ErikKaffehr

Hmm… DPreview has added the GFX 50S to their studio test scene…

Hi, DPreview has added the GFX 50S to their studio test scene and they conveniently matched up it against the Pentax 645Z, Canon EOS 5DsR and the Sony A7rII. The first question I have asked, how good is the Fujinon 63 mm lens? Let's check the corners: So, what do I see? Well, the best lens...
  17. ErikKaffehr

That Fuji GFX seems remarkably good…

Imaging resource has comparable studio scene shots of the GFX, but also the Phase One IQ3100, the Pentax 645Z and other cameras. Now that Lightroom supports all of those I checked out the GFX and found it to have impressive detail. I tossed in the A7rII in the comparison as it is my presently...
  18. ErikKaffehr

Someone having a decent raw from the X1D to share?

Hi, Honestly, all the raws I have seen from the X1D are horrible. Someone having some nice raw from the X1D to share? Best regards Erik
  19. ErikKaffehr

Will we see an X1D like camera from Phase One?

Hi, This is pure speculation, but do forum members think that Phase One will release an X1D like camera, or a GFX like camera? It seems that the X1D sells let hotcakes, but very few have been delivered yet, so it is hard to know if it lives up to expectations. We simply don't know that. It...
  20. ErikKaffehr

Why non Team Phase One users should avoid Capture One…

Hi, Sometime the question arises to how to use Capture One with other MFD products. I would say that the message from Phase One is really, "Don't do that!". Why? Because Phase One sees Capture One as a competitive advantage, so they have a policy not to support competing MFD systems. Some...