The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. davemillier

Cart for gear

I have a different approach. I have a folding 2 wheel trolley (something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milestone-Camping-25180-Folding-Fishing-Black/dp/B00X597KO2/ref=sr_1_53?crid=VBNVV62Q1TJ0&keywords=2+wheel+trolley&qid=1683144105&sprefix=2+wheel+trolley+,aps,74&sr=8-53&th=1 I velcro...
  2. davemillier

Laowa 20mm f/4 Zero-D Shift (for GFX)

Just crop the top, fine then!
  3. davemillier

Fun without MF images.

Lovely story and lovely sentiments. Although it does remind me of the time my sister bought an MG Midget as an investment to do up and resell. When it was ready for sale, she let me drive it. I lasted 5 minutes! What a racket! With the engine roaring like 33 Starship engines, I got up to 5mp...
  4. davemillier

DP Review Forum to Close

It looks better in dark mode (via a browser plugin). The brightness is a bit overwhelming.
  5. davemillier

Looking for a walk around compact with a zoom

I gave up on compacts. I now use a Gx7 with 12-32 kit lens. It's the smallest camera I'm happy using.
  6. davemillier

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

I like it better than the whole frame, but good idea to let it settle for a bit. Then follow your instincts, always worth listening to others, but in the end choose what works for you.
  7. davemillier

This is a nice shot. But there is a little more to be eked out of it. Consider a near square crop removing the empty right hand side and that little breakwater on the left. Then you have a simpler shot where the twin fishing rods echo the twin poles in the sea on a diagonal. Concentrated goodness.
  8. davemillier

Panasonic FZ1000 Images

Hi Allen It's a very good and useful camera. For a lot of people, this all in one is more than enough. I include serious photographers in that, as well. I don't use mine enough, given how liberating it is for your photo outfit to literally be one camera. My partner took ours on a safari. She...
  9. davemillier

Hi Alan Can I make a request? I'd like to see some more of your shallow depth of field tree photos, if you have any! I was quite taken by them. A different way of simplifying the chaos of woodlands.
  10. davemillier

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

I have ported Georg's script to Windows and Georg is hosting that version on his Dropbox account. There is a "wrapper" application available to provide a GUI front end for Kalpanika. I believe they may be working on incorporating the script in that application. p.s. I am writing this as my...
  11. davemillier

SIGMA SD1 shots

I'd like to say some small thing in support of the Quattro. Not because I own one (I don't) but simply to relate some facts. Rick Decker, one of the Sigma forum mods over on DPReview, kindly organised a European "print" tour which I was lucky enough to participate in. A large cardboard tube...
  12. davemillier

Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

Ted's suggestion about turning down sharpening in SPP is a good one. I use -0.8 but even lower settings are justifiable. Another suggestion: reduce colour noise reduction. I don't know why, but this setting doesn't just reduce colour noise, it also enhances that gritty micro-contrast the...
  13. davemillier

Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

It's a nice idea and perhaps one that a company like Sony would have deep enough pockets to fund. But Sigma are a smallish company building cameras with mainly in-house technology and it shows in their products. For example, the inefficient file sizes from the 3 layer sensor and the huge...
  14. davemillier

Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

I think the main problem is that it takes a great deal of investment to build such a system. Sigma are a (relatively) small, family owned lens maker that dabbles with cameras. They lose money on making their cameras in a way that more conventional companies wouldn't/couldn't tolerate. If they...
  15. davemillier

Au Revoir

Sounds reasonable - but do keep sharing the results ;-)
  16. davemillier

Au Revoir

That's a shame, it's your pictures that are the main reason I pop in here from time to time.
  17. davemillier

Sigma Quattro series - Enduring issues

Still got my 14n, Quentin. It's still crap ;-)
  18. davemillier

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quite a few people complain about highlight clipping and restricted DR with the SD15. This camera introduced the variable gain analogue front end to Foveon. Some Foveons are ISO-less (like the Merrills and the SD14 and earlier), some (like the Q) have the AFE. I've not used a AFE Sigma but...
  19. davemillier

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Hi Quentin Given that digital cameras are like positive rather than negative film when it comes to judging exposure and that the Q appears to have reduced dynamic range (similar to other AFE Sigmas like the SD15?), does this not call for better management of the highlights by the photographer...
  20. davemillier

Fun with the Olympus OMD

hi Jono That's an impressive bunch of chicken portraits. We've kept a small number of chickens in our suburban back garden for a few years now. We get them from a battery chicken rescue centre, all plucked and concentration camp victim-like and free range them as best we can. I can't say...