The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. ondebanks

Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M

Yes, but there is virtually no difference between the ProBack and ProBack Plus. So the ProBack Plus manual I supplied should be fine. OTOH, the ProBack 645 line was distinctly different. See here as well, for software and firmware...
  2. ondebanks

Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M

You don't have to use a 555 ELD. It will work with all 500 series Hasselblads; and with an appropriate interface accessory, it also works with the Mamiya RZ Pro line, the Fuji GX680 line, Bronicas, large format cameras etc. Don's link was for the 645 version of the ProBack. As you have the...
  3. ondebanks

A switch: Phase One to Nikon.........

So I take it that you don't much like dealers.....Ah!!! I've finally figured out what your signature line means! - Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products. This statement always puzzled me. I wondered - why are you telling me what dealers don't currently do, as it would be...
  4. ondebanks

MFD Weather Sealing

And I'd love to see the Alpa shot from Graham's BTS shot with the hotel towel! Especially how he dealt with that flat grey sky. Ray
  5. ondebanks

CCD Sensor Cool Down Times

That someone will be me :) There is. Tech alert, people! :lecture: There will be graphs! There will be equations! Look if you dare! You might even learn something. That something might even improve your art! ---- The approximate rule of thumb is this: long exposure noise (dark current) in...
  6. ondebanks

Non-troll serious MF conundrum

I'd agree with this. It was such a huge and unnecessary mistake by Phase to disable film back support from the DF onwards. I will never comprehend that move. All that was ever needed to operate the AF film backs is a signal across the contact pins - the same pins shared for use for the digital...
  7. ondebanks

More to come From Hasselblad

Yup, because with the ultra-short flange distances of mirrorless cameras, we could use/adapt our existing lenses from any MF SLR system; heck even 35mm lenses if you want to max out the image circle on a bigger sensor and don't mind some vignetting. While the Hartblei B2 and Alpa FPS systems...
  8. ondebanks

MFD 'the look' conundrum

But Mat, you did direct your post to MrSmith - you started that post to him by acknowledging his reply to your question - so what else were we to think? Fair enough - you were making a general point about the forum - but how was that point related to this thread, or the person you were...
  9. ondebanks

MFD 'the look' conundrum

He's saying that you posted a strawman argument, misrepresenting with MrSmith said - and I have to agree. MrSmith said nothing along the lines of "anyone who spends loads of money on full frame 35mm is a fool" or "questioning why 35mm owners don't just work a bit harder so they can afford MFD or...
  10. ondebanks

Sensor size and Hyperfocal range (with the same lens)

Hi Godfrey, Those are exactly the same points I made - glad to see we are in agreement. :salute: While as a physicist and observational astronomer, I will never dismiss the process of experimental verification, this truth also holds: well-established physics (like geometrical optics) does...
  11. ondebanks

A H6D100 in my Hand

I've always admired Hasselblad for that policy. Anyone who wants to apply a dark frame can take one in their own time and subtract it in software. Hasselblad hand choice and trust to the photographer: very enlightened. Phase One use the term "black frame" which we all take to mean "dark...
  12. ondebanks

That's not a good example for this thread, as you are talking about a different scenario - two different focal lengths. That is not physically possible. Please check my most recent post here. Ray
  13. ondebanks

However it also lets the circle of confusion change, and that is the real reason why the calculated DOF changes. If you enlarged both images by the same factor, clearly the DX print will be smaller than the FX print, but the DOF will be the same in both. That calculator is not based on equal...
  14. ondebanks

Hi Gerald, It doesn't matter what the pixel count is. Magnification in imaging is with respect to the physical image size projected onto the sensor, not how that sensor is subdivided into pixels. People just aren't as aware of this in the digital age because they don't see the captured image in...
  15. ondebanks

110mm f2.8 LS Schneider Kreuznach lens for Phase XF

The brochures are in error. Using the exact FOV formula for rectilinear lenses, for a 150mm lens, I get 25.3 degrees on the 60/80 MP Phase backs, and 26.2 degrees on 645 film. So they must be using 645 film as the reference dimension, not their larger digital backs. The same figures for a 110mm...
  16. ondebanks

Is there a compelling reason to move to MF?

I have to agree with this. For a "fairer" comparison, why not use click-balance for both shots, on the same point of the same white bottle in the woman's hand? That at least might tell us something about how the two cameras behave in the same light. In the present state of those two photos, one...
  17. ondebanks

Manual focus lenses on AF body (Mamiya 645 AFD)

Ah, yes I understand the part you mean now. You are correct that the AF Mamiya bodies lack the mechanical couplings to either engage the MF lens' aperture lug for metering or to stop it down at the instant of exposure. It is possible to use the AF lenses on other cameras, with the big...
  18. ondebanks

What do you saw off older Mamiya lenses to fit on Phase XF body? :)

Miles, thank you for your very kind feedback. :thumbup: I have to say that I've always been motivated to give helpful information on getDPI and elsewhere for the same reason you cited - a community of like minds, sharing their expertise and experience, and supporting each other's learning. Down...
  19. ondebanks

IQ3 80 Long exposure mode

Wayne, there is more to the long exposure mode than that. First of all, the intent of the higher LEM "base ISO" is not to allow a shorter exposure, as you put it. The whole point of LEM is to facilitate exposures which are much longer than "normal", after all. No...the reason for the higher...
  20. ondebanks

Is there a compelling reason to move to MF?

For me, it's significantly about the fun. And the money to fun ratio is actually low if you build your kit from the used market. I'm still shooting a 15 year old back design on a 15 year old camera design, largely with 30 year old lenses. For the type of shooting that system is suited to, I...